Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy Interview--Why can't all Athletes be this humble?

Legend

User Info Menu

Troy Interview--Why can't all Athletes be this humble?

Q&A: Troy Polamalu

By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Sep 17, 2008

PITTSBURGH – Troy Polamalu is back. After a 2007 season plagued by injuries, the strong safety has once again become a difference maker for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Yesterday, Polamalu was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his role in the Steelers’ 10-6 win over the Cleveland Browns. His interception at the goal line just before the half saved points in a low-scoring game and stopped the momentum from turning to the home team. Here’s how the soft-spoken Polamalu responded to reporters’ questions on Wednesday:
    Q: Do you feel like you had a Player-of-the-Week kind of game?

A: No. I didn’t think so. It’s obviously an honor, but everything happens so fast, from week to week. Are we talking about Houston? Cleveland? Philly? Everything moves along so fast that it’s really tough to dwell on these types of things. So maybe at the end of the season you might think about it, if you even have time then. But I don’t know.

Q: You’re making more splash plays than last year, aren’t you?

A: Yeah, coach has said that. But you guys, even though you’re around the team a lot, you only see a small part of what goes on. You’re not in our meeting rooms. Coaches are doing a good job of preparing us. We’re doing a good job of taking care of our bodies during the week. There are a lot of things that go into what you see on Sundays and you only see a small part of it. The mental part of the preparation is very important.

Q: What were you trying to accomplish when you dove over center?

A: I don’t know. Actually, I just saw that they were in a hurry-up situation and I expected them to do a quarterback sneak. We didn’t have a defense called so I figured, you know, try something.

Q: Did it work?

A: No. It didn’t work. Actually, nobody had a responsibility because there wasn’t a defense called.

Q: Does that happen often?

A: No, it doesn’t.

Q: Did the dive have anything to do with the clock winding down to the two-minute warning?

A: No, I’m not that smart. Charlie (Batch) actually asked me that, and I said, ‘Charlie, I might run with that.’ But then I’d be lying.

Q: After signing that big contract last year, did you start feeling the need to make big plays?

A: Not really, quite honestly. On this defense, I’ve played a lot of different roles. But this is kind of a defense that’s more built around linebackers. The defensive line is awesome and doesn’t get the credit it deserves, but the big splash plays come from our linebackers, and rightly so because that’s the design, so I don’t think so, no.

Q: You guys have four interceptions in two games after 11 all last season. What’s the difference?

A: Well, we have 14 games to go, so we need to get seven before you stop complaining.

Q: How’s the extra 10 pounds helping you this season?

A: I feel pretty good. I don’t think it’s affected me consciously at all. The body feels good and there are a lot of different factors in that: I didn’t play all preseason, didn’t go to camp.

Q: Are you taking a different approach mentally? Are you letting the game come to you more?

A: Yeah, I think so. But I don’t have as big of a role as I did. In our sub-packages, I’m on the back end a lot more. But Coach (Dick) LeBeau’s going to change things up, obviously, as time progresses.

Q: It obviously suits you. Do you like it that way?

A: Yeah, I do. I do like it. I think it’s good for the defense.

Q: Will you have to keep your eye on Brian Westbrook this game?

A: Yeah. They use him in a lot of different areas. He’s treated as a wide receiver when he’s outside of the core of their offense and when he’s in the backfield he’s a running back. That’s how talented he is. But Donovan (McNabb) is just on fire right now. He’s hitting big plays down the field to a lot of different receivers, so you can’t really focus on just one guy when you have an awesome quarterback like that.

Q: I know you don’t watch a lot of football, but did you watch this past Monday Night game?

A: No. Saw the score, saw the film, heard the breakdown. But there’s a lot of emotion taken out when you can’t hear the crowd or the announcers.

Q: What did you do instead?

A: My wife is pregnant, so I was just running to the refrigerator and back, or something like that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Troy Interview--Why can't all Athletes be this humble?

Q: Did the dive have anything to do with the clock winding down to the two-minute warning?

A: No, I’m not that smart. Charlie (Batch) actually asked me that, and I said, ‘Charlie, I might run with that.’ But then I’d be lying.

thats pretty funny right there. i love troy's interviews, he seems like the most down to earth guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1

thats pretty funny right there. i love troy's interviews, he seems like the most down to earth guy.
    Dang, the guy has no guile or deception in him at all, he just says what's on his mind, and it seems like good stuff.

I didn't think they made them like that anymore!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Q: You guys have four interceptions in two games after 11 all last season. What’s the difference?

A: Well, we have 14 games to go, so we need to get seven before you stop complaining.

Starter

User Info Menu

troy's a unique dude...any guy, let alone a star NFL player, that doesn't watch much TV has way more depth than i could ever imagine...

if he stays healthy, this defense will dominate all year
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

But I don’t have as big of a role as I did. In our sub-packages, I’m on the back end a lot more.
    A lot of us have criticized/speculated on BWL's use of Troy (i.e. barreling into the o-line on every 2nd play) and it seems he's read our posts (please please read the sarcasm...) and modified his use of Troy. Mind you the quote goes on to say: But he's going to "...change things up."

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Q: Are you taking a different approach mentally? Are you letting the game come to you more?

A: Yeah, I think so. But I don’t have as big of a role as I did. In our sub-packages, I’m on the back end a lot more. But Coach (bad word) LeBeau’s going to change things up, obviously, as time progresses.
    Bad Word LeBeau!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    But I don’t have as big of a role as I did. In our sub-packages, I’m on the back end a lot more.
    A lot of us have criticized/speculated on BWL's use of Troy (i.e. barreling into the o-line on every 2nd play) and it seems he's read our posts (please please read the sarcasm...) and modified his use of Troy. Mind you the quote goes on to say: But he's going to "...change things up."
    This would be the best thing that could happen to Troy and this team if it continues all season. We need Troy as a DB not a pass rushing LB. I think the stat of 2 games and 2 INTs speaks for itself in terms of getting him off the LOS.

I think a big part of what makes Troy so appealing to Pittsburghers is his Somoan heritage and culture. I've had the privledge of working with several soldiers from Somoa and universally they are respectful, humble, hard working with a strong sense of right and wrong. Troy seems to fit this characterization. Just like the majority of Pittsburgh Steeler fans who don't post at the Trib anymore
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Something that escapes most athletes of his calibre, that just exudes from Troy is the word humility. I think that aspect of his persona is the main reason he's been so successful. Most people that have this trait are sponges in most facets of their lives. His coaches must love this guy in the film room or when trying to execute new schemes. His growth potential for the game is always in flux.

Old asian adage.... "how can you fill a cup when it is already full."

The guy is never full. It seems that he's always willing to learn. That's why he's great! Rising fast as one of my favorite Steelers of all time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I've had the privledge of working with several soldiers from Somoa and universally they are respectful, humble, hard working with a strong sense of right and wrong.
    I grew up with a lot of american-samoans and they didn't all fit this description. Some of them I would avoid at all costs and not make eye contact with. Just like any other culture or race - there are always a$$holes

Troy apparently got into trouble as a teen and was sent to live with relatives in Oregon wasn't he? He must have had (and must still have) very good role models and he's obviously a disciplined individual. That kind of humility doesn't necessarily come natural or easy