Thread: Rash of injuries surprise Crennel

Legend

User Info Menu

Rash of injuries surprise Crennel

Rash of injuries surprise Crennel
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, September 12, 2008
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_587807.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 87807.html[/url]

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel understands that injuries are a necessary evil in the NFL.

Crennel, however, expressed surprise at the high number of injuries that have plagued the Browns during offseason workouts, the exhibition season and last week's season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

Entering Sunday night's early AFC North showdown against the Steelers at Cleveland Browns Stadium, the Browns hope to welcome back four players, but they're still missing big free-agent acquisition Donte' Stallworth at receiver.

Stallworth suffered a quadriceps strain during pregame warmups before the 28-10 loss against Dallas. He hasn't practiced this week, and his absence leaves Braylon Edwards as Cleveland's only healthy receiver to start at least one NFL game.

"Injuries are a part of this game, and so far this year, they've been somewhat a part of this team. I don't think you can account for it because it wasn't like we beat them up in training camp or anything like that,'' said Crennel, who has had a total of 13 player injuries, including season-ending injuries to cornerback Daven Holley (torn ACL), guard Lennie Friedman (shoulder) and linebacker Antwan Peek (torn patella). "It's just these things happen, and sometimes it goes in cycles. Evidently this is our cycle.''

Starting safety Sean Jones is expected to miss 3-to-5 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday.

"I think when you have your starters on the field, that helps your players, first of all, because they feel like they have a full complement of guys available to play the game,'' Crennel said yesterday. "I think it impacts the opponent and their preparation and how they plan to defend you and the number of starters they have to defend.''

Joshua Cribbs, who returned a kickoff for a touchdown against the Steelers last season, is expected to play after missing the opener with a high ankle sprain. Also expected back are guard Rex Hadnot (knee), linebacker Kris Griffin (elbow) and safety Brodney Pool (concussion). All four practiced this week.

Cribbs returned three kicks for touchdowns in 2007 and was voted to the Pro Bowl. In a 31-28 loss to the Steelers at Heinz Field, Cribbs averaged 51.0 yards on four kickoff returns, including runbacks of 100 and 90 yards.

"I think we all know what Cribbs brings to the table. He is a unique talent,'' Crennel said. "All the players understand, and they realize how he's going to play the game, and I think that they block better as a result because they know how hard he's going to run.''

Said Cribbs: "Coach is working me back in there, seeing how far I can go, seeing what I can do and what I can't. What I do changes momentum. I'll do everything in my power to give our team a jump start. They (Steelers) kicked to me last year, and I did a pretty good job of returning. Then, they started kicking away from me. I think they're going to (kick to) me and see how it plays out.''

John Harris can be reached at [email="jharris@tribweb.com"]jharris@tribweb.com[/email] or 412-481-5432

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rash of injuries surprise Crennel

The excuses are rolling in before the game even starts. Romeo already knows his team is going to lose this Sunday night. He is just softening the blow preemptively, so his fandom doesn't completely revolt after 2 blowout losses at home to start the season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The excuses are rolling in before the game even starts. Romeo already knows his team is going to lose this Sunday night. He is just softening the blow preemptively, so his fandom doesn't completely revolt after 2 blowout losses at home to start the season.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Yeah he came on NFL Radio Monday morning right after the beatdown by the Cowdungs, and he just sounded like a defeated man. The hosts weren't helping any either. They kept coddling him saying things like,"I know its really hard to come in after a loss like that, we thank you for joining us". Funny thing is they asked him how they came out of the game health wise, and he said nobody was hurt. Then suddenly like 5 guys aren't practicing, dudes are out for the year and flood gates open. Injuries or no injuries, dude is a fraud, not a head coach for sure. Fired by mid year. Replaced by OC (dude from Chargers...Chudzinski?) then ultimately Marty Schottenheimer returns as HC next year. I said this end of last year I think.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Browns are not prepared for the season. Their training camp was like a country club with very little hitting and not much true physical work. Romeo believed that if he let his players have an easy camp that would make them more healthy for the season. I kind of understand b/c the team has very little depth and I'm sure that he recognized that, but I don't think he took the right approach.

As for the injuries, the Browns knew that Jones was having swelling in his knee weeks ago and tried to let him play through it. Donte Stallworth has always been like this, the guy is a pu$$y, and now that he got his big pay day he will be even worse. Wimbley pulled a groin yesterday and has been limited in practice for the last two days. Tucker has been injured since before TC and Hadnot was injured in the Giants game a few weeks back. Cribbs will be a threat but I don't expect to see the regular JC b/c of the high ankle sprain, it will take a while for him to get back up to speed.

This team is in serious trouble for the season. Very little depth and now a rash of injuries could doom the Browns to a 5-6 win season.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

BIG FAN

If you suck since '99, and only have one squad that actually wins games then it's good to rest on past "accomplishments."
    The stains OWN coach does not believe his team can win.