Thread: Benny's Breakdown of the Matchup

BigBen2112

Benny's Breakdown of the Matchup

Neuroanatomy class is boring......LETS GO STEELERS!

Lets break down the matchup of the Steelers vs. the Browns. Lets actually do a FAIR breakdown here:

Offense

Quarterback:
    Anderson- had a good year last year, but made some not so great decisions. He has talent around him at WR and TE and an OK RB, but he simply is not as developed as Ben.

Big Ben- Is probably one of the top 2 QBs in the league right now. He has made BETTER decisions, can scramble, can gun the ball downfield, and is a playmaker from the QB position. People still call him a game manager and that simply is not correct. He goes with the game plan and when things break down he makes plays unlike ANY other QB except maybe Jay Cutler (who also does well outside of the pocket). He does his job until he is called on to step up and then he excels.

Breakdown: STEELERS have upper-hand here

Runningback:
    Lewis- is not done yet. He's not out-dated and he's not over the hill. He still has a lot left in the tank, BUT...he's not the healthiest player right now and he has NOT had a ton of success in his past against the Steelers...but he IS a threat still without a doubt.

Parker/Mendenhall- we have TWO for their ONE runningback and ours are healthier and have more big play ability. If Lewis is a threat then Parker/Mendenhall are 2 times that threat. Parker can hit it bigger than Lewis and has a HISTORY of doing so against the Browns. The Browns have a better OL now, BUT if Parker isn't running straight into that line he could just dominate the game against the Browns yet again.

Breakdown: History shows that Parker will produce better against the browns than Lewis will against the steelers. That doesn't mean that will happen this time, but again I think our two good/talented runningbacks outweigh their one good/talented/NOT HEALTHY running back. EDGE STEELERS

Offensive Line:
    Browns- Yeah

Steelers- Not even close

Breakdown: The Browns have a better offensive line without a doubt. Joe Thomas might just be better than our whole line combined.

Wide Receievers/Tight Ends:
    Edwards/Winslow- Both are talents without a doubt. Both are near the top individually at or near the top of their groups in the NFL as a whole. The issue with the Browns is that Winslow and Edwards are basically it. There is no good 2nd receiver right not and it IS possible to shut down these guys because there simply is not a secondary threat. This could be their biggest problem in the long run.

Ward/Holmes/Washington/Miller/Spaeth- I include Washington/Spaeth here b/c those two are better than any of the other browns players after Winslow and Edwards. I will agree that we UNDER utilize Heath Miller, but he is more than capable of being an elite TE. He has great hands, can run, and can blow people up. Ward and Holmes are both big players in our offense and I feel when healthy they will do/put up numbers similar to Edwards/Winslow...ESPECIALLY considering how little we throw in comparison to the Browns. If healthy last year Ward and Holmes would have had 900 yards, and 9 TDs and 1159 yards, and 10 TDs respectively. And we dont throw nearly as much as the Browns do. Ward proved last week he still has a lot more in the tank and if you dont pay attention to him he'll hurt you. He also proved that last playoffs when he absolutely lit up the Jaguars.

Breakdown: Last year in their best years Edwards+Winslow had 2395 yards and 21 TDs collectively while playing in all 16 gams. If Ward/Holmes had played 16 games and even kept up at their current pace (which I think Ward would have exceeded a little) they would have had 2059 yards and 19 TDs...and again we throw the ball much less. Add in another 500-600 yards for Miller and 7 TDs and you have us equalling out the Browns receivers. It should ALSO BE NOTED: That many of our guys--Miller/Holmes--have less experience than Winslow/Edwards and could be going toward Breakout years as well. But the fact that we have MORE depth right now and that Holmes/Ward/Miller equal out Edwards and Winslow gives the EDGE STEELERS.

Defense

Defensive Backfield:
    Browns- LOL

Steelers- I dont love our DBs but I think they are better than the Browns...without a doubt

Breakdown: EDGE STEELERS

Linebackers:
    Browns- Davis.......anyone else?

Steelers- Woodley+Harrison are BEASTS, but will they be able to get past their OL?

Breakdown: This is another no-brainer EDGE STEELERS

Defensive Line:
    Browns- Williams+Rodgers are not going to be as easy as some would make them out to be. Williams is a guy I used to like alot until he became a brownturd LOL. He is a very good DL. Rodgers is a kind of anomaly. He has so much talent, but he just has turned out to be BLAH. In a huge rivalry like this I dont think he'll be that at all.

Steelers- Smith+Hampton are I think comparable to Williams/Rodgers...but I think the thing that might distinguish us again here is the depth. I dont like our depth at DL...I think it SUCKS...but the Browns seem to lack depth at about every single position. Hampton and Smith blew things up last week and I think they are more than capable of doing that again...although it was against a much inferior OL than the Browns have.

Breakdown: I really dont know here. We have more depth, but our DL vs. their OL and their DL vs. our OL? I think its a WASH.

Special Teams
    Sorry but this is not even worth going into if Cribbs is going to play.

EDGE BROWNS

Coaching

Browns- Crennel is a horrible head coach

Steelers- Jury is still out on Tomlin and I dont really love him as our HC, but that's fine.

Breakdown: I will take a mediocre coach over a coach that goes for a FG down 21 points. EDGE STEELERS

TOTAL BREAKDOWN
    Depth is the big issue here. I dont like the Steelers depth, but in comparison to the Browns we look like the deepest team in the AFC. That alone could easily put us over the top.

Their DBs dont match up well against us I dont think...and I think our DBs can hold the Browns down long enough to get us ahead and then it might just be too much b/c of their lack of depth and lack of ability to stop the pass (as evidenced by the Cowboys game).

STEELERS: 14 7 7 6= 34
    Browns: 7 0 3 7= 17

Parker= 150 yards 1 TDs
    Ward= 85 yards 1 TD
    Holmes= 120 yards 1 TD
    Miller= 65 yards 1 TD

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Benny's Breakdown of the Matchup

Your LB analysis should have read "Browns- Wimbley.......anyone else?" instead of "Browns- Davis.......anyone else?" Andra Davis is not even a has-been...he's a never was. He would be lucky to be the #4 ILB on our team behind Farrior, Timmons, and Foote. Although Kamerion Wimbley regressed from his rookie season to his second year, he at least still holds some promise.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Legend

Glad to see you so begrudgingly gave the edge to the Steelers in areas. Its almost like you are forcing yourself to find something positive.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Your LB analysis should have read "Browns- Wimbley.......anyone else?" instead of "Browns- Davis.......anyone else?" Andra Davis is not even a has-been...he's a never was. He would be lucky to be the #4 ILB on our team behind Farrior, Timmons, and Foote. Although Kamerion Wimbley regressed from his rookie season to his second year, he at least still holds some promise.
    Yeah that was my bad.

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Glad to see you so begrudgingly gave the edge to the Steelers in areas. Its almost like you are forcing yourself to find something positive.
    The steelers being better than the browns in certain areas does not mean that they are set in those areas. The browns right now probably have the worst overall depth in the NFL. So being better then them in terms of depth etc is not the brightest spot for us.

Lets just beat the sh*t out of them!!!