Thread: Mid-Week Thoughts from Dale Lolley

Legend

User Info Menu

Mid-Week Thoughts from Dale Lolley

[url]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2008/09/some-mid-week-thoughts.html[/url]

Thursday, September 11, 2008
    Some mid-week thoughts
    Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, Marvel Smith and Deshea Townsend took the veteran's Wednesday off from practice. All should be back at practice Thursday.

© Willie Parker said today that he had known for a little while that he was going to be the goal-line back, but the team was keeping it a secret. After Parker scored three TDs Sunday, the secret is out.

The team had been hiding it pretty well. Even fullback Carey Davis got more short-yardage carries in the preseason than Parker.

© Nate Washington of all people gave me an honest answer when asked about attacking Cleveland's young secondary. The Steelers are going to attack, attack, attack those two second-year corners.

© Casey Hampton's suggestion to teammate Justin Hartwig for blocking Shaun Rogers? Hold on for the ride.

Rogers is a force when he wants to be. Trouble is, he doesn't always want to be.

Hampton and Rogers were teammates at Texas. Rogers was the talented one. Hampton the overachiever. Kind of funny, isn't it, that Hampton took so much heat for coming to camp overweight?

© The Steelers' schedule continues to look better and better. Jacksonville put both of its starting guards on IR this week and Shawne Merriman is out for the season.
    Good to see that the Steelers plan to attack the banged up Browns secondary. Hopefully, the weather doesn't prevent that from happening.

In the comments, Dale also talks about Mendhall a bit - suggesting that he won't just be a mop up guy all season. He also speculates that Sweed won't be activated this game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Mid-Week Thoughts from Dale Lolley

I'd activate Sweed and get his confidence up against this putrid secondary.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    thats what i was thinking. what the he$$ tomlin? this game has a good posibility of being a blow out, which would be a great situation to get sweed some time. baker is what he is, i dont see a whole lot of potential from him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    thats what i was thinking. what the he$$ tomlin? this game has a good posibility of being a blow out, which would be a great situation to get sweed some time. baker is what he is, i dont see a whole lot of potential from him.
    As I always state, there are other factors to consider. What if it is not a blow out? If it is a blow out, the team will be running the ball a lot. This lessons the chance of a QB getting injured. What if a WR or two goes down to injury? For whatever reason, Sweed is not ready to play. There is a good chance Baker can develop into a good WR.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    As I always state, there are other factors to consider. What if it is not a blow out? If it is a blow out, the team will be running the ball a lot. This lessons the chance of a QB getting injured. What if a WR or two goes down to injury? For whatever reason, Sweed is not ready to play. There is a good chance Baker can develop into a good WR.
    yea thats true i guess. how is he going to progress if he never plays?

Legend

User Info Menu

As I always state, there are other factors to consider. What if it is not a blow out? If it is a blow out, the team will be running the ball a lot. This lessens the chance of a QB getting injured. What if a WR or two goes down to injury? For whatever reason, Sweed is not ready to play. There is a good chance Baker can develop into a good WR.
    When the time comes he will get his chance. WRs usually take more time to develop. Right now the Steelers are set at WR. I'd rather see Mendenhall progress and make his mark on the offense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Baker progressed last year while on the PS. I don't see why Sweed wouldn't progress in his game during the week. I just don't think that the team should play Sweed if Baker is the better player right now. There is no reason to punish Baker if he is playing well and deserves the spot. I think we might see Baker get a touchdown this week.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>