Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Look at the AFC

Legend

User Info Menu

First Look at the AFC

Well week 1 is over and it is early, but looks like the following predictions are going to hold true:

1. Steelers win the AFC North by at least 2 games
    2. Browns and Bumgals both suck on defense and will struggle to be 8-8
    3. Carson Palmer is probably the second most over rated QB in the NFL right behind Derek Anderson
    4. Beginning of the end for the Pats
    5. As I predicted, the Jags are finding out they really don't have a QB
    6. Titans will be tough to beat on the road
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: First Look at the AFC

... One game does not a season make..... Just my opinion.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    , but if the Steelers go into Cleveland and smack the Clowns next week the division may be over already! I don't see enough talent in the division besides the Steelers. I think the divsion is wrapped up in Baltimore in December.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    , but if the Steelers go into Cleveland and smack the Clowns next week the division may be over already! I don't see enough talent in the division besides the Steelers. I think the divsion is wrapped up in Baltimore in December.
    The Steelers simply need to play their game against the Clowns.

When I say their game, what I mean is that the Steelers need to do the following:

They must control the tempo of the game on both sides of the ball. Be misers with the ball on O and hawk for it on D. In short, couple long drives on O with fast D series.

Ben should be at least as efficient as he was this week. I don't necessarily think he'll need to throw a zillion times, but he should find his spots if he must.

FWP will gain over 100 yards against the Clowns both times they face off, assuming no injuries and how much the team will need him for the last game. The fact that he'll gain 100 will be a help in and of itself.

Precision is key on O and they don't need to be monkeying around with a lot of long, drawn out plays. That will feed right into the Clowns hands.

The D needs to swamp the Clowns with a variety of stunts and looks right out of the box. I suspect the Clowns will be looking to make a statement early, so punching their OL in the mouth off the first play is necessary and repeating that 'til they get the message would help.

The secondary doesn't need to do a lot of blitzing and it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep Troy at home to patrol the middle.

The Clowns will be looking to do something fast. The way the LB corps plays will tell a lot of the story in the early portion of the game. I suspect that they will impose their will and control what the Clowns will be doing for the balance of the game.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

As Chadman has mentioned before in the past- the REAL competition to the Steelers is the Ravens- and they will only go as far as their defence takes them.

The Browns can't put two good games together, let alone 2 seasons & the Bengals are on the downward spiral that won't end until they change the way they do business.

Steelers might have a tough road ahead, but they are still the best team in this division.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Nate Wiggins CB
    2. Ricky Pearsall WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Well week 1 is over and it is early, but looks like the following predictions are going to hold true:

3. Carson Palmer is probably the second most over rated QB in the NFL right behind Derek Anderson

I'm right there with you on the Jags. Go to the Division Winners prediction thread for my thoughts. Synopsis: They got a lot of off field issues that are clouding that team and they aren't as good as people think. Lack of any meaningful WR will hurt and Garrard isn't this wonderboy everyone thinks he is. I can't believe people pick them to go to Super Bowl. That is odd. I don't even have them making the playoffs. Say what you will about Vince Young, but people overlook the Titans. I think that is a better team (I know they don't have WR's either).
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

7. The Ravens will only be as successful as their defense.
    8. Don't count the good teams out after 1 week!

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy

No kidding on number 8. Look at the Chargers last year. They were like 1-4 and then never looked back. But they choked in the p-offs like usual....
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sounds about right.

Our defense wasn't the problem today. Although it definitely still has issues.

I wasn't to fond of Carson's Drew Bledsole impersonation today but it still only week one.

Something tells me they will still find* a way to win a decent amount of games but they done in terms of winning the SB this season.

You take away the run and Garrad will look bad. If the Jags can get the running game going Garrad will do fine.

I'm not sold on the Titans yet...

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Gotta go with you here Pappy.
    Lot of football to go.
    While I would be loathe to piz on a victory parade, I think there are some teams out there besides our beloved Steelers that just might have got a chip put in thier mouth today that they may wear on the shoulder next week.
    The stains might just be one of them, but we will dismantle the "darlings" if we play like we did today.