Thread: By the Numbers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

By the Numbers

Just how good was our start?? Here are the individual and team areas where we are ranked either at the top or number two spot. (please let me know if I missed anything)

Ben Roethlisberger - QB Rating: 147.0 (1st-NFL)
    Willie Parker - Rushing: 138 yards (2nd)
    Willie Parker - Scoring: 18 points (1st)
    Hines Ward - Receiving TDs: 2 (1st)
    James Harrison - Sacks: 3 (T-1st)
    Troy Polamalu - Interceptions: 1 (T-2nd)
    LaMarr Woodley - Interceptions: 1 (T-2nd)

Pittsburgh Steelers - Team Scoring: 38 points (T-1st)
    Pittsburgh Steelers - Team Sacks: 5 (T-2nd)
    Pittsburgh Steelers - Team Interceptions: 2 (T-1st)

Yeah it's only the first week, but these individual and team performances were an amazing way to get things going. Combine the win with home losses by the Stains and Bolts (too bad they weren't divisional), and of course the biggest loss of the day for the Pats* and I'd say it was a blissful begining to the season.

Let's keep this thing rollin'!!!!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: By the Numbers

I'll agree Fla. It was a great way to start the "ball rolling" so to speak.... But it is just week #1, so my enthusiasim is tempered with reality and will wait till we play a few serious playoff contenders....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Just how good was our start?? Here are the individual and team areas where we are ranked either at the top or number two spot. (please let me know if I missed anything)

Ben Roethlisberger - QB Rating: 147.0 (1st-NFL)
    Willie Parker - Rushing: 138 yards (2nd)
    Willie Parker - Scoring: 18 points (1st)
    Hines Ward - Receiving TDs: 2 (1st)
    James Harrison - Sacks: 3 (T-1st)
    Troy Polamalu - Interceptions: 1 (T-2nd)
    LaMarr Woodley - Interceptions: 1 (T-2nd)

Pittsburgh Steelers - Team Scoring: 38 points (T-1st)
    Pittsburgh Steelers - Team Sacks: 5 (T-2nd)
    Pittsburgh Steelers - Team Interceptions: 2 (T-1st)

Yeah it's only the first week, but these individual and team performances were an amazing way to get things going. Combine the win with home losses by the Stains and Bolts (too bad they weren't divisional), and of course the biggest loss of the day for the Pats* and I'd say it was a blissful begining to the season.

Let's keep this thing rollin'!!!!!!!!!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Everyone is "whoopin' and hollerin' " about our win today..... Yes, it was extremely great to see. Yes, it was fun to watch. ... But we only did what was expected and what should be done...

...Do it against a serious playoff contender and it holds more meaning.

We have issues on the line. They were proven today with Ben having little time in the pocket..... We have issues with the secondary allowing pass receptions. That was somewhat revealed today as well.....

Beyond that, our team played extremely well. But there is no reason to get overconfident after just one game....

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like to see another 1 game winning streak this upcoming weekend against the Browns!

Hard to temper the excitement generated by this win. By all accounts the offensive line played well and may not be the weak link we (well, some of us) believe them to be. If that turns out to be the case then the Black-n-Gold should have a great year.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Everyone is "whoopin' and hollerin' " about our win today..... Yes, it was extremely great to see. Yes, it was fun to watch. ... But we only did what was expected and what should be done...

We have issues on the line. They were proven today with Ben having little time in the pocket..... We have issues with the secondary allowing pass receptions. That was somewhat revealed today as well.....

Beyond that, our team played extremely well. But there is no reason to get overconfident after just one game....
    Ya know, I hate to say it NKy...but kudos to Bruce Arians. He has apparently abandoned his disdain for the three-step drop and our quick passing game today pretty much mitigated the pass rush that Houston mounted. If we can keep that up, then it will eventually back everyone off that line a little which should benefit both our pass protection and running game.

This is exactly what I was screaming for last year. So what that our line struggles in pass pro. There are a dozen things we can do to help that out; chief among them is the play-calling. I have to give Arians a gold star or smiley face for today.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ya know, I hate to say it NKy...but kudos to Bruce Arians.
    The draw play with Parker for a TD was a great call by BA.... So yes, I agree with you... It was a well-played/coached game....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

Ya know, I hate to say it NKy...but kudos to Bruce Arians. He has apparently abandoned his disdain for the three-step drop and our quick passing game today pretty much mitigated the pass rush that Houston mounted. If we can keep that up, then it will eventually back everyone off that line a little which should benefit both our pass protection and running game.

This is exactly what I was screaming for last year. So what that our line struggles in pass pro. There are a dozen things we can do to help that out; chief among them is the play-calling. I have to give Arians a gold star or smiley face for today.
    One thing, NKy...were you expecting the Steelers to lose? They won a game they should have won at home. Holding serve at home is mandatory to winning the division and to having any favorable playoff standing.

And yes, I am quite happy over this win. After listening to how GD good the Clowns are and how their going to own the Steelers. And how the Pats* can do no wrong. And the Jags are magically a SB team, even though they only beat the Steelers when they slumped down the stretch. And what about San Diego and LT? Indy and Peyton?

Remember, while the rest of the league hopes to win, the Steelers expect to win. That includes everyone involved with the Steelers, fans included. And you're damned straight that I'll be as happy as I can be over a win. I am in the most delusional sports town in America. They should be held in check until they can prove me otherwise.

The OL is an issue. It has been an issue. But you play the hand you are dealt and there are ways to mask lack of talent with a versatile offensive attack. Arians is plugging away and working some more complicated schemes into the program. That's what he should be doing. But if he's doing that, it should work and be effective. It's a way of keeping your team a leg up on opposing defenses.

I am eager to see what Arians has in store for the Clowns next week. He has been mixing new things into the offense. Now he needs to do more to juggle the offense more effectively than just going run, run, pass every time. He needs to keep working to keep opposing Ds off balance.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!