Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game day thread.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Game day thread.

Hi,

Hope all is well, got some questions, I've been asked to do the game day thread here, and I accepted. I would like to get a group of 3 plus me to cover the game, each of us commenting on certain parts of the game. The games are on the web so constant typing out plays is no longer important, so why not have one covering the OL, and on D the DL, another handles the QB on O and LBs on D, another on WRs and DBs, and then lastly special teams. This way one person isn't swamped, and can enjoy the game as well. This is my idea and I wanted to run it by y'all before Sundays game. Lets hope the server here doesn't shut down like the Tribs. Any volunteers?

Rick

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Game day thread.

Glad to have ya, Rick! I won't be able to help out myself since I will be travelling to the games themselves, but I'll look forward to perusing through the insights on these gameday threads after the fact. Hopefully, you will be able to get your volunteers to carry out your plan. With this group here, I don't imagine that will be much of a problem.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

All of the games are available on the web now? I thought it was only the NFLN games... or am i just insanely misinformed?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    All of the games are available on the web now? I thought it was only the NFLN games... or am i just insanely misinformed?
    I think he means play-by-play on ESPN, CBS sportsline, things like that, but for the actual games . . . if you look around long enough, you might be lucky enough to find someone streaming them, but you are likely in for a lot of buffering and shutting down on you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickt011
    Hi,

Hope all is well, got some questions, I've been asked to do the game day thread here, and I accepted. I would like to get a group of 3 plus me to cover the game, each of us commenting on certain parts of the game. The games are on the web so constant typing out plays is no longer important, so why not have one covering the OL, and on D the DL, another handles the QB on O and LBs on D, another on WRs and DBs, and then lastly special teams. This way one person isn't swamped, and can enjoy the game as well. This is my idea and I wanted to run it by y'all before Sundays game. Lets hope the server here doesn't shut down like the Tribs. Any volunteers?

Rick
    RickT, yours is the ONLY game day thread. Needless to say, we are thankful that you will be here.

I always thought that your coverage of the game was extremely thorough, but it was too much work. I think you'd get a certain degree of down and distance coverage, etc. as any game thread progressed. But I am in favor of a more free form thread where general observations are made quickly in one sentence form. I think that's the format that would work best.

I always run a Game Tracker on NFL.com during the game, so I can see the play-by-play and always have the stats at my fingertips. Then, I comment on something I saw: a great play, a key first down, touchdowns, etc. But I have always felt most comfortable playing the game thread by ear and letting it flow naturally. While I have appreciated your formality, it always seemed like too much work and detracted from the natural enjoyment of the game.

But your coverage of the game has always been first rate and your observations have been generally very good. I think a little more of your random thought during the game will be really welcome and I look forward to more of your in-game observations.

I won't always be on the game thread. There will be games I'll have to go to the bar to see and I plan on being in Pittsburgh for at least one or more games. But I will be here on Sunday for the Texans (the CBS affiliate in Cleveland will be showing the game), so I will look forward to your OFFICIAL game day thread kickoff this Sunday morning.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey rickt011 - You do the game thread like no other. My goal is to watch the game and contribute as much as I am able to the game day thread. My strengths in that area are laughably pitiful (pitifully laughable?), but I will do what I can as always!

BTW - the games should be a joyful experience for all - I wouldn't want you to do anything in terms of the thread if it gets in the way of your enjoying the game. Your contributions to date to Steeler Nation (by all the game threads you hosted last year, and ? previous years too) are far more than many others, I know for sure far more than mine. If you want to kick back and enjoy the game instead - no problem here!

Thanks -

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well tomorrow we'll give it a good try! Lets hope Ben makes it through the game. This OL is really going to test our patience this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickt011
    Well tomorrow we'll give it a good try! Lets hope Ben makes it through the game. This OL is really going to test our patience this year.
    Yes they will.....

Hopefully this site holds-up.... I had a bit of trouble for the pre-season, so it will be a good test tomorrow...

Don't know about you, but I can't wait!

Legend

User Info Menu

Site is holding up so far!! We're on local TV here (courtesy of being "close" to Houston, I guess) - just a few minuts to go!!!!!!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Argh...so close...can barely contain it!!!