Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

  1. #21

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Not sure how things work, if somebody knows this, can you please help me out?

    If an O-line prospect opens up at some point during the season, is the FO free to sign tnem, and fire whoever we want to make room?

    Thanks -
    For that matter, we can actually take form someone's PS to make 'em Active... any team can do it to any other.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  2. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,441

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    To prove my earlier comments that taking a rational view and not be a knee jerk reactionary will likely provide some insight I did a quick Google and found this:

    College Penn State
    NFL Experience 3
    Height 6-5
    Weight 265
    Birthdate May 27, 1982
    Hometown University Heights, Ohio
    How Acquired FA '05

    PRO: McHugh is utilizing his versatility as a fullback and tight end, pulling in 17 receptions for 252 yards in 2007. He saw action at fullback in six games, during the 2006 season, with the Lions after being activated from the practice squad October 21, 2006.

    IMO this may mean that his ability to play FB makes Carey Davis expendible and Gary Russell is active on game day. It also means that you can have 3 TEs on the field and not have good receiving TEs like Miller and Spaeth being held in to block.

    Just my small attempt to put a bright ray of knowledge into otherwise dark and gloomy minds
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #23

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Not sure how things work, if somebody knows this, can you please help me out?

    If an O-line prospect opens up at some point during the season, is the FO free to sign tnem, and fire whoever we want to make room?

    Thanks -
    For that matter, we can actually take form someone's PS to make 'em Active... any team can do it to any other.
    So, theoretically then ... this means the FO felt there wasn't ANYBODY out there at ANY position that was better for us NOW than McHugh at TE?

    I don't doubt that could be possible, but it does seem unlikely that there wasn't a good O-line person out there who could at least give us depth, if not start.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    its nice he can play fb too. davis is ok at best. the other good thing about this move is what if either spaeth or miller got hurt? i dont want to see starks at te at all

  5. #25
    BigBen2112
    Guest

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    To prove my earlier comments that taking a rational view and not be a knee jerk reactionary will likely provide some insight I did a quick Google and found this:

    College Penn State
    NFL Experience 3
    Height 6-5
    Weight 265
    Birthdate May 27, 1982
    Hometown University Heights, Ohio
    How Acquired FA '05

    PRO: McHugh is utilizing his versatility as a fullback and tight end, pulling in 17 receptions for 252 yards in 2007. He saw action at fullback in six games, during the 2006 season, with the Lions after being activated from the practice squad October 21, 2006.

    IMO this may mean that his ability to play FB makes Carey Davis expendible and Gary Russell is active on game day. It also means that you can have 3 TEs on the field and not have good receiving TEs like Miller and Spaeth being held in to block.

    Just my small attempt to put a bright ray of knowledge into otherwise dark and gloomy minds
    Yeah except for the fact that we've basically eliminated the FB position from the offense.

    Then cut Carey Davis, since he'd be useless, and sign an OL.

  6. #26
    BigBen2112
    Guest

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    its nice he can play fb too. davis is ok at best. the other good thing about this move is what if either spaeth or miller got hurt? i dont want to see starks at te at all
    Why is Sherrod on practice squad then? If one of those two got hurt then put Sherrod on the roster.

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,446

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    This signing is McStupid.

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    its nice he can play fb too. davis is ok at best. the other good thing about this move is what if either spaeth or miller got hurt? i dont want to see starks at te at all
    Why is Sherrod on practice squad then? If one of those two got hurt then put Sherrod on the roster.
    i forgot about sherrod. nevermind then.

  9. #29
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    I can't say I'm surprised at all by this signing. Those who are pulling their hair out over this need to look at the big picture:

    Did you really expect us to go OL? The season is about to start; it's too late to be looking for a new starter. That's the only thing that would have justified the signing. And the FA prospects likely would have demanded a high salary anyway.

    Our 3rd TE was Max Starks, who can't catch and needs to be on the OL now that Mahan was given the boot. And if Miller or Spaeth (god forbid) got injured, we'd only have one TE who was a receiving threat.

    It's not as if we traded a starter for a scrub. We traded a scrub for a scrub, and probably a better one since we were in need of a good TE. The fact that he can play FB is an added bonus.

    So my advice is: relax, everyone.

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,272

    Re: Steelers Sign TE McHugh

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    I can't say I'm surprised at all by this signing. Those who are pulling their hair out over this need to look at the big picture:

    Did you really expect us to go OL? The season is about to start; it's too late to be looking for a new starter. That's the only thing that would have justified the signing. And the FA prospects likely would have demanded a high salary anyway.

    Our 3rd TE was Max Starks, who can't catch and needs to be on the OL now that Mahan was given the boot. And if Miller or Spaeth (god forbid) got injured, we'd only have one TE who was a receiving threat.

    It's not as if we traded a starter for a scrub. We traded a scrub for a scrub, and probably a better one since we were in need of a good TE. The fact that he can play FB is an added bonus.

    So my advice is: relax, everyone.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •