Thread: OK, now 1 more: The dark horse Impact rook is......

Hardliner

OK, now 1 more: The dark horse Impact rook is......

Just marking time 'til Sunday fellow folk. Marking time and thinking about interesting topics to share with the Steel Nation as it relates to both a hopeful compelling topic and what to look for as the whistle blows on the 2008 season.

We OK with that? Good. By the way, for the newly initiated, I'm a Chief's fan, so let me lead off with this nugget:

If you tune in your Directv Sunday Ticket to a Chief's game, (As I will any time the Steel is playing without a KC conflict), here's the guy that I'll be watching and would direct you to do the same:

He's #25, RB, Jamaal Charles (U of Tx) and one of the 3d round picks KC obtainted from the Minnies for Jared Allen this past off-season. This guy has had an uneven pre-season, having been dinged up a bit but in the games he has played? WOW!

He's very fast, in the 4.3 40 time range, but there are lots of guys that have that timing on their resume'. What separates Charles is his vision and ability to make guys miss, sort of a lower case Gayle Sayers. He's raw, obviously, but will see time as a 3d down back or more as the season progresses and one to watch.

OK, who's the ONE guy on the Steel that HL should focus on????

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: OK, now 1 more: The dark horse Impact rook is......

Quote Originally Posted by Hardliner
    Just marking time 'til Sunday fellow folk. Marking time and thinking about interesting topics to share with the Steel Nation as it relates to both a hopeful compelling topic and what to look for as the whistle blows on the 2008 season.

We OK with that? Good. By the way, for the newly initiated, I'm a Chief's fan, so let me lead off with this nugget:

If you tune in your Directv Sunday Ticket to a Chief's game, (As I will any time the Steel is playing without a KC conflict), here's the guy that I'll be watching and would direct you to do the same:

He's #25, RB, Jamaal Charles (U of Tx) and one of the 3d round picks KC obtainted from the Minnies for Jared Allen this past off-season. This guy has had an uneven pre-season, having been dinged up a bit but in the games he has played? WOW!

He's very fast, in the 4.3 40 time range, but there are lots of guys that have that timing on their resume'. What separates Charles is his vision and ability to make guys miss, sort of a lower case Gayle Sayers. He's raw, obviously, but will see time as a 3d down back or more as the season progresses and one to watch.

Not to dash your hopes,HL,but did he play against 3rd stringers???That could be why he was so impressive.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Les 74

Not to dash your hopes,HL,but did he play against 3rd stringers???That could be why he was so impressive.
    Charles did look impressive from what I saw of him. I think the kid has some really good wiggle in his step.

I'm going to go with Kevin Smith from Detroit. I think the kid has a shot at winning ROY.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

HL if the player wears black and gold you should be watching them. i can't pick just one!

Hardliner

-----------------------------------------

Yeah, that's most likely true. It's way too early to tell how any of these rooks will pan out. Jamaal Charles has flashed a few times in pre-season but he may well turn out as another flash in the pan, you know?

I think any rook has to come in, do it, then do it consistently for a few seasons before we can pass judgment on his talent or abilities. Meantime, it's a fun topic to kill a little time before the kickoffs this Sunday.

BY THE WAY, and here's a nugget for any of you that places friendly wagers on NFL games. You might want to bet a Diet Coke or something on the Chiefs this Sunday and take the 16.5 pts against the Patties. Why?

In the past 5 games that KC has been a double digit dog, they've either covered the spread or won the game outright. That's a fact, Jack, and do with it as you will. Me? I hate to lose anything so I don't bet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

HL, I have heard some good things about Charles but haven't had the chance to check him out in a game yet. Speedy guy, his teammates and coaches were raving about how fast he is. So has he passed Kolby Smith on the depth chart yet?
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hardliner

HL, I have heard some good things about Charles but haven't had the chance to check him out in a game yet. Speedy guy, his teammates and coaches were raving about how fast he is. So has he passed Kolby Smith on the depth chart yet?

----------------------------------------

Iron Shiek,

No, Charles is still a complimentary or situational back so he'll initially be used on third and longs where they'll run him out on the flats, in space, catch a swing pass, and let him turn loose that blazing speed. If he holds onto the ball and continues to develop, I look for him to eventually get Kolby's 8-10 carries per game backing LJ.

In his short tenure, Charles is both the fastest guy the Chiefs have ever had (I think) and the first KC back with an ability to routinely run wide, turn the corner and take the ball upfield. (Now, that may not be a big deal for other teams but the Chiefs haven't had a back like that since forever!)

In another interesting move, Herm kept FIVE RBs on the final 53. 5 of 'em! Why? "We kept the best football players, regardless of position", says Herm. Well, in a genuine rebuilding year with the owner having your back in the youth movement, I guess a head coach can get away with a move of this type but it still strikes me as STRANGE.

So, it's LJ, Kolby and Charles on the depth chart at RB with the other 2 RBs making the team mainly on their Special Teams play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

----------------------------------------

Iron Shiek,

No, Charles is still a complimentary or situational back so he'll initially be used on third and longs where they'll run him out on the flats, in space, catch a swing pass, and let him turn loose that blazing speed. If he holds onto the ball and continues to develop, I look for him to eventually get Kolby's 8-10 carries per game backing LJ.

In his short tenure, Charles is both the fastest guy the Chiefs have ever had (I think) and the first KC back with an ability to routinely run wide, turn the corner and take the ball upfield. (Now, that may not be a big deal for other teams but the Chiefs haven't had a back like that since forever!)

In another interesting move, Herm kept FIVE RBs on the final 53. 5 of 'em! Why? "We kept the best football players, regardless of position", says Herm. Well, in a genuine rebuilding year with the owner having your back in the youth movement, I guess a head coach can get away with a move of this type but it still strikes me as STRANGE.

So, it's LJ, Kolby and Charles on the depth chart at RB with the other 2 RBs making the team mainly on their Special Teams play.
    Cool. Everyone is so down on LJ this year (at least from a fantasy football perspective, but basically same regards as non-fantasy). I get that the line is young and inexperienced, and maybe not that good, but is he really struggling that bad. He finally got a preseason in so I expect him to be ready to start the year on the right foot (no pun intended).
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    HL if the player wears black and gold you should be watching them. i can't pick just one!
    My pick is Dennis Dixon... if used properly, he can be what Kordell was when NOD was still with the team.

Otherwise, the truth is - i was very excited about this draft, but, looking over it now... our ROOKS are actually concerning.

Mendy, while he's looked solid, he's not looked as good as you'd hope a rookie 1st round RB would look. He runs a little upright and of course, there's the fumbles.

Nate Sweed... well...

Alonzo Davis... Uhhh...

Trai Hills... Uhhhh....

Humpal and Mundy were cut (injuries).

If everybody continues like they have started, this could turn out to be the worst draft in quite some time.

I know, I know... they're rooks... but, by now, we've usually seen flashes out of them. At this point, Mendy is the only one I've seen flashes out of - and not significantly better than what we already had.

Just sayin'
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington