Thread: Moved: Pattywhackers sign O'Neal

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Moved: Pattywhackers sign O'Neal

Whoops, sorry. Realized it was the wrong forum after I posted it....

Good signing imo. A position they badly needed to fill w/ the loss of Samuel. Doesn't say anything about his $$ yet.
    [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3563559[/url]
    Patriots add ex-Bengals CB O'Neal, a two-time Pro Bowler

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots signed two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Deltha O'Neal on Monday, two days after they released exhibition-season starter Fernando Bryant.

O'Neal spent the last four seasons with Cincinnati after playing his first four with Denver. He had 31 interceptions for three touchdowns in 116 games, including 75 starts. He also scored one touchdown on a kickoff return and two on punt returns.
    The Bengals released him on Saturday when teams had to reduce their rosters to the regular-season limit of 53 players. Bryant's release had left the Patriots with two rookies among their top four cornerbacks.

They also claimed two players off waivers -- tight end Jason Pociask from the New York Jets and offensive tackle Mark LeVoir from the St. Louis Rams. They released tight end Stephen Spach and signed offensive lineman Jacob Bender and tight end Tyson DeVree to the practice squad.

Steely76

Re: Moved: Pattywhackers sign O'Neal

If O'Neal can't even make the Bungals roster than I'd say he's done. Everyone made a big deal of the Patsies*** grabbing John Lynch and he wound up getting cut.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steely76
    If O'Neal can't even make the Bungals roster than I'd say he's done. Everyone made a big deal of the Patsies*** grabbing John Lynch and he wound up getting cut.
    True, true. But do you know for certain o'neal didn't make the bungholes or was it a $$ issue? Keep in mind the patsies are absolutely desperate for secondary help so there's that. Surprised that didn't get/go after ricky manning. We're talking about a secondary that had Charred Scott in it a year or two ago

Legend

User Info Menu

Along the same lines, former Pats dback Eugene Wilson was released by the Bucs today. After he visited Pittsburgh, I know that there was some disappointment he didn't sign.

Steely76

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Along the same lines, former Pats dback Eugene Wilson was released by the Bucs today. After he visited Pittsburgh, I know that there was some disappointment he didn't sign.
    Well all the Patsie*** defensive players looked better when they knew what play was coming. Funny how bad their #1 dee looked in preseason.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely76
    True, true. But do you know for certain o'neal didn't make the bungholes or was it a $$ issue? Keep in mind the patsies are absolutely desperate for secondary help so there's that. Surprised that didn't get/go after ricky manning. We're talking about a secondary that had Charred Scott in it a year or two ago
    O'Neal was absolutely horrible this preseason (And all of last season). I was happy we finally cut him. Even if he was making the veteran minimum we should have cut him. You also have to remember that NE signed Tory James after we cut him.

The only players left on the team that we seriously need to cut are John Thornton and Eric Ghiacuic...