Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the eve of the 2008 season and the bold predictions are..

Hardliner

On the eve of the 2008 season and the bold predictions are..

And they are.....? Roll the drums a bit longer, keep the music going because I'm not all that sure just yet. Are you? Not that it matters all that much because ANY prediction at this early stage is more about hype and ego than reality.

All THAT SAID, and realize that I did say it, I'm going boldly forward where many NFL prosnosticators have tread before and predict the following:

AFC NORTH:
    --The Steelers will make the playoffs at season's end. I don't know if it will be via the divisional championship or wild card but my sense is the AFC North is a bit down this year and the Steel looks to be the best of the bunch. Homerism for the Steeler board? Not really but I thought you guys would want to have confirmed what most, if not all of you, were thinking anyway.

AFC EAST:
    --I'm going way out on that proverbial limb here by saying that 'Brett the Jet' will win this division! The Patties are relying on too many older vets, are suffering much remorse from the NYG Superbowl beat-down and just see the J-E-T-S finally getting the deal done. However, the Pats are still in the Wild Card mix and should prevail there. (I haven't completely lost my mind).

AFC SOUTH:
    --I'm hearing all these inside and media rumors that Peyton is genuinely not ready to go do his deed for the first 4-6 games in 2008. This division is up for grabs, if true, so can we project Jax or maybe...Houston to fill the void? Maybe. But not likely. Until I see him on the IR list, I'll still pick the Colts to win in the South.

AFC WEST:
    --Oh boy. Here's the one I know best and yet, I'm thinking I don't know at all for 2008. San Diego is the sexy and safe pick for many reasons but then we have to consider the still gimpy knee of Rivers, the aging LT, and the questionable longevity of Merriman. Denver might be next in line but I think they're not quite ready for a run either. Oakland and the CHIEFS are too young so, let me hold my nose and go safe with SD although I'm troubled with this pick.

REVIEWING: Playoff teams at season's end: Steel, Jets, Colts, Chargers. Wild carders: Pats and......let's go with Jax. So says me. What says you?

Hall of Famer

Re: On the eve of the 2008 season and the bold predictions are..

AFC SOUTH:
    --I'm hearing all these inside and media rumors that Peyton is genuinely not ready to go do his deed for the first 4-6 games in 2008. This division is up for grabs, if true, so can we project Jax or maybe...Houston to fill the void? Maybe. But not likely. Until I see him on the IR list, I'll still pick the Colts to win in the South
    I still think the AFC South is the most competitive division in the league...

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Hardliner

AFC EAST:
    --I'm going way out on that proverbial limb here by saying that 'Brett the Jet' will win this division! The Patties are relying on too many older vets, are suffering much remorse from the NYG Superbowl beat-down and just see the J-E-T-S finally getting the deal done. However, the Pats are still in the Wild Card mix and should prevail there. (I haven't completely lost my mind).

Super Bowl runner-ups usually have a tendancy for sucking the following year. Can the Patriots really end up sucking this year??? I don't see how with their schedule.

Legend

Here is a shot:

AFC North: Steelers will have no problem winning the Division again.
    Steelers 10-6
    Browns 8-8
    Bumgals 7-9
    Ravens 6-10

AFC South: Indy wins again, but by a thread and it is clear they are starting to decline. The Jags will see that Garrard is another Derek Anderson and he proves to not be as good as advertised. Potential Surprise: Texans surprise and win the Division or come in a close 2nd.

AFC East: Pats guaranteed at least 5 easy victories in one of the weakest Divisions in football (close in suckiness to NFC West), but expect first round exit in the play offs this year. Like the Colts this is the year the Pats decline starts. The defense betrays them.

AFC West: San Diego wins this one by at least 4 games and ends up at 13-3 and the best record in the AFC.

Pittsburgh and San Diego meet in the AFC Championship game.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Here is a shot:

AFC North: Steelers will have no problem winning the Division again.
    Steelers 10-6
    Browns 8-8
    Bumgals 7-9
    Ravens 6-10

AFC South: Indy wins again, but by a thread and it is clear they are starting to decline. The Jags will see that Garrard is another Derek Anderson and he proves to not be as good as advertised. Potential Surprise: Texans surprise and win the Division or come in a close 2nd.

AFC East: Pats guaranteed at least 5 easy victories in one of the weakest Divisions in football (close in suckiness to NFC West), but expect first round exit in the play offs this year. Like the Colts this is the year the Pats decline starts. The defense betrays them.

AFC West: San Diego wins this one by at least 4 games and ends up at 13-3 and the best record in the AFC.

Pittsburgh and San Diego meet in the AFC Championship game.
    What the heck gives you that impression? Sure Harrison was hurt and we are clueless about Manning, but until I don't see them on the field, I could not agree with you more. Their defense might be exposed, but they never really have a dominating defense and manage to be 9-1 every year by week 11.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

This may be the year that Jacksonville overtakes Indy for the AFC South crown in the toughest division in the conference. If that happens, the Colts still get in as the top wild card, though, with a stronger record than your average wild card team. I think San Diego and New England win their divisions just because their respective talent levels are so much better than the rest of the teams in the AFC West and East. Same thing with the Steelers in the North. They are the only balanced team. The Ohio teams have all offense and no defense while the Maryland team has all defense and no offense. I think Cleveland is way overhyped, and there will be better teams in Buffalo, Houston, New York, and perhaps even Tennessee or Denver). I think Buffalo may take the final wild card if Jason Peters ends his hold out. If not, I think Houston can challenge for the last playoff spot if Schaub and Johnson are able to stay healthy. The Jets will be improved with Favre and their other additions, but I think they only get up to maybe .500 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardliner
    And they are.....? Roll the drums a bit longer, keep the music going because I'm not all that sure just yet. Are you? Not that it matters all that much because ANY prediction at this early stage is more about hype and ego than reality.

All THAT SAID, and realize that I did say it, I'm going boldly forward where many NFL prosnosticators have tread before and predict the following:

AFC NORTH:
    --The Steelers will make the playoffs at season's end. I don't know if it will be via the divisional championship or wild card but my sense is the AFC North is a bit down this year and the Steel looks to be the best of the bunch. Homerism for the Steeler board? Not really but I thought you guys would want to have confirmed what most, if not all of you, were thinking anyway.

Agreed. 10-6 or even 11-5 with at most one loss in the division.

AFC EAST:

Even though they've upgraded their oline and obviously QB position, I think if the Patsies do fail, it'll be Buffalo that steps into the void. That said, I don't see the Pats slipping too far (unless Brady goes down) and they take the division with a 10-6 record.

AFC SOUTH:
    --I'm hearing all these inside and media rumors that Peyton is genuinely not ready to go do his deed for the first 4-6 games in 2008. This division is up for grabs, if true, so can we project Jax or maybe...Houston to fill the void? Maybe. But not likely. Until I see him on the IR list, I'll still pick the Colts to win in the South.

If Manning wasn't ready, then they wouldn't be going with only two QBs on the roster. This is a tough division and Garrard is not a flash in the pan, so it is possible that the Jags challenge. Both teams wind up being in the 10-6 range. I don't see the texans and certainly not Tennessee with Vince Young at QB taking the South crown...but definitely competitive.

AFC WEST:
    --Oh boy. Here's the one I know best and yet, I'm thinking I don't know at all for 2008. San Diego is the sexy and safe pick for many reasons but then we have to consider the still gimpy knee of Rivers, the aging LT, and the questionable longevity of Merriman. Denver might be next in line but I think they're not quite ready for a run either. Oakland and the CHIEFS are too young so, let me hold my nose and go safe with SD although I'm troubled with this pick.

Who else is going to take this division? Cutler gives Denver a chance, but SD is still too talented. I don't think they'll look like world-beaters, but they are clearly the best team in this division. 11-5.

REVIEWING: Playoff teams at season's end: Steel, Jets, Colts, Chargers. Wild carders: Pats and......let's go with Jax. So says me. What says you?
    Playoff Teams: Pittsburgh, New England, Jacksonville, San Diego, Indianapolis (WC), Buffalo (WC).

AFCC - Pittsburgh vs. San Diego

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Legend

My division winners:

Steelers
    Broncos
    Colts
    Pasterisks

Cowboys
    Vikings
    Bucs
    49ers

Wild cards:

Chargers
    Jags

Saints
    Packers

I'll keep this brief:

Superbowl: Steelers/Cowboys

Winner: See my sig

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hardliner

MOST excellent takes from everyone on this thread! We all could be geniuses or dunces given how it all plays out, you know? Something else to consider:

Every season, it seems, there is a darkhorse team (I'm going only AFC here) that emerges out of nowhere and becomes not only a playoff team but does considerable damage in the playoffs. In other words, this team arrives a year early.

My darkhorse pick this year is ....... Okay I have three:

Houston
    Denver (It pains me to state this)
    Buffalo

And of the 3? I'll go with....Houston.