Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Players Added to Practice Squad

BigBen2112

8 Players Added to Practice Squad

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers signed eight players to their practice squad today in addition to a ninth player who will remain with the team throughout the 2008 season as part of the NFLís international player development program.

Each of the eight players added to the Steelersí practice squad were in training camp with the team this summer. All NFL teams were able to sign a maximum of eight players to their practice squad beginning at noon today.

The players signed by the Steelers include: LB Patrick Bailey, CB Roy Lewis, S Grant Mason, OT Jeremy Parquet, DT Scott Paxson, WR Micah Rucker, TE Dezmond Sherrod and RB Justin Vincent.

Wide receiver Marvin Allen was also designated to the teamís practice squad as a part of the NFLís international player development program.
    http://news.steelers.com/article/94875/

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: 8 Players Added to Practice Squad

I'm surprised that they took all guys who were in camp with us. Usually, they throw us a curveball or two from other teams. Glad they got Roy Lewis (surprised he didn't make the final roster). I also would have like to have seen Travis Williams on the PS too. Rucker may be an interesting prospect in the future with some seasoning. What happened to McBean? Was he so bad that he is not even PS-worthy, or did another team snatch him up?

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

I'm relieved that Lewis and Bailey got tabbed for the PS. Those guys have a chance to be on the roster in a meaningful way if they get the shot.

Happy for Rucker and Sherrod, too, but I think they are projects at this point. Hopefully Rucker can pan out. He is an impressive physical specimen.

I'm not even sure why they felt compelled to keep a RB on the PS. I would have added Williams instead (unless some other team grabbed him).
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I'm surprised that they took all guys who were in camp with us. Usually, they throw us a curveball or two from other teams. Glad they got Roy Lewis (surprised he didn't make the final roster). I also would have like to have seen Travis Williams on the PS too. Rucker may be an interesting prospect in the future with some seasoning. What happened to McBean? Was he so bad that he is not even PS-worthy, or did another team snatch him up?
    And here some people said McBean was going to grow and become a good player for us...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    And here some people said McBean was going to grow and become a good player for us...interesting.
    That was the expectation. It's pretty sad really that he couldn't rise to the occasion and fill a much needed gap on our D-Line.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    That was the expectation. It's pretty sad really that he couldn't rise to the occasion and fill a much needed gap on our D-Line.
    ...Looked like Tarzan - played like Jane.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    ...Looked like Tarzan - played like Jane.

that's funny right there.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Pro Bowler

Here are my thoughts...

LB Patrick Bailey: Good
    - Thought he made the team anyway based on his ST play.
    Others to consider - Andy Studebaker, Stanley McClover

CB Roy Lewis: Good
    - Thought he had made the team over Carter (who needs to go).

S Grant Mason: Bad - Mason is living on the PS, let him go & bring in someone better.

OT Jeremy Parquet: Bad - Beginning to be a resident here too not seeing the upside.
    There are others with more upside (King Dunlap, Andy Alleman).

DT Scott Paxson: Bad - This is more an indictment on McBean than a vote for Paxson.
    There are better players available than Paxson (Dre Moore, Junior Siavii).

WR Micah Rucker: Good - He's got some upside & could contribute next season.
    Others to watch - David Ball, Mike Hass, Brandon London...All could be better than Baker.

TE Dezmond Sherrod: Bad - I don't get this one, 3rd TEs are easily had & didn't think he showed much.

RB Justin Vincent: Bad - The team is absolutely STACKED at RB, other positions are more important to develop.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

Where are the dang D Lineman? Alright well if there is anything that I agree with Benny on as far as the roster and Colbert go, it is that the D Line has not been addressed and continues to be ignored. This is getting ridiculous! Scott Paxson......Scott Frickin Paxson, what a waste. The guy has been on the PS for three years now and he has not improved from when he first got here. There were decent prospects released yesterday and the Steelers do nothing to address the situation, STUPID!

<a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Here are my thoughts...

LB Patrick Bailey: Good
    - Thought he made the team anyway based on his ST play.
    Others to consider - Andy Studebaker, Stanley McClover

CB Roy Lewis: Good
    - Thought he had made the team over Carter (who needs to go).

S Grant Mason: Bad - Mason is living on the PS, let him go & bring in someone better.

OT Jeremy Parquet: Bad - Beginning to be a resident here too not seeing the upside.
    There are others with more upside (King Dunlap, Andy Alleman).

DT Scott Paxson: Bad - This is more an indictment on McBean than a vote for Paxson.
    There are better players available than Paxson (Dre Moore, Junior Siavii).

WR Micah Rucker: Good - He's got some upside & could contribute next season.
    Others to watch - David Ball, Mike Hass, Brandon London...All could be better than Baker.

TE Dezmond Sherrod: Bad - I don't get this one, 3rd TEs are easily had & didn't think he showed much.

RB Justin Vincent: Bad - The team is absolutely STACKED at RB, other positions are more important to develop.
    On balance, I'll have to agree with 7 out of your 8 observations.

I would say that while 3rd TEs are easily found, they aren't so easily developed. I think it's still important to develop within the system instead of trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Sherrod didn't look fabulous, but that doesn't mean that he can't become something with a little more development. I think he bears watching.

Keeping Mason and Parquet is an exercise in futility unless they'll be called upon to contribute this year. I don't see that happening and I don't know how Parquet will move in and even make you forget about Max Sucks, so his membership on the PS is just ridiculous.

Bailey, Lewis and Rucker were all no-brainers and I expect that either Bailey or Lewis will be called up this year and contribute to the regular Steelers roster.

I'm sure that the Steelers could have done better than Paxson on the PS. I'm not so sure that person would have been named Dre Moore, but I know the Steelers could have found a better player with more upside than Paxson.

And I am also sure they could have developed another position other than RB. Perhaps another OL or DL would have been in order.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!