Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Cut list from Steelers.com

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Final Cut list from Steelers.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteelStallion
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Madison and Baker over Lewis and Reid were a little surprising to me.
    To be completely honest, and I will get slapped for it around here, I dont think Colbert or Tomlin have a clue what they are doing.

Baker is taller, also drops 60% of the balls thrown to him...Reid is shorter and has struggled but played really well this pre-season. I see zero reason to keep Madison over Lewis, maybe Madison knows the system better?

Sorry to again be the realist I am, but I dont have a ton of faith in Colbert and Tomlin.
    You're bumming me out. First Wanny, now Tomlin too?
    Relax,man.Colbert,I agree with,but this will only be Tomlin's second season.Cut him some slack.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't necessarily blame Tomlin with this... But Colbert, yes...

...Rather disturbing to see the guy slapped with the franchise tag/transition tag being shopped around...

Now, having said that, Dan has said NUMEROUS TIMES that the head coach makes the calls. That is his philosophy... Is he talking out the side of his face, or is there some other responsibility to pass around?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To be completely honest, and I will get slapped for it around here, I dont think Colbert or Tomlin have a clue what they are doing.

Baker is taller, also drops 60% of the balls thrown to him...Reid is shorter and has struggled but played really well this pre-season. I see zero reason to keep Madison over Lewis, maybe Madison knows the system better?

Sorry to again be the realist I am, but I dont have a ton of faith in Colbert and Tomlin.
    I don't know what Dallas Baker you've been watching, but he's made some great catches and clutch ones at that this preseason. Reid has no doubt had his best preseason, but he still didn't look nearly as good as Baker and we can't even factor in the noise that Baker has made in practice since last year (reportedly).

Drops 60% of his passes? Laughable. Even trying to exaggerate in making a point, you're waaaaaay of the mark on that one Benny.

Legend

User Info Menu

The way D Woods was hunting heads that last game makes it not surprising he got a spot on the team.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

I don't know what Dallas Baker you've been watching, but he's made some great catches and clutch ones at that this preseason. Reid has no doubt had his best preseason, but he still didn't look nearly as good as Baker and we can't even factor in the noise that Baker has made in practice since last year (reportedly).

Drops 60% of his passes? Laughable. Even trying to exaggerate in making a point, you're waaaaaay of the mark on that one Benny.
    You are correct...my bad. He has been thrown to 14 times and caught 8.

Not nearly 60% dropped...and that is of course worth keeping around, especially when you gauge it in relation to the bigger part of my post which that was just a trivial example of.

The point is that the focus has been on skilled guy (like taking Baker probably for height) over guys that can keep this team going-->anyone want ANY OL/DL?

And how about all the QBs and WRs we've picked over good OL/DL since Colbert has been here? And how sucky is our OL/DL? Pretty damn sucky and certainly not very deep.

And just as an FYI, I DONT think the Steelers need to hit on all our mid/end of the draft guys, but a COUPLE would be nice. And furthermore, we DONT have to wait until the end of the draft consistently to shore up the lines...there is ZERO rule about that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not nearly 60% dropped...and that is of course worth keeping around, especially when you gauge it in relation to the bigger part of my post which that was just a trivial example of.

The point is that the focus has been on skilled guy (like taking Baker probably for height) over guys that can keep this team going-->anyone want ANY OL/DL?

And how about all the QBs and WRs we've picked over good OL/DL since Colbert has been here? And how sucky is our OL/DL? Pretty damn sucky and certainly not very deep.

And just as an FYI, I DONT think the Steelers need to hit on all our mid/end of the draft guys, but a COUPLE would be nice. And furthermore, we DONT have to wait until the end of the draft consistently to shore up the lines...there is ZERO rule about that.
    How many of those passes that were not caught were catchable? I know that he had a couple of drops, but unless this stat takes into account the passes that Lefty airmailed then I don't think it is fair to Baker.

As far as your other point, I don't know exactly what you are getting at. Kemo was drafted in 05 and is now a starter. Colon was drafted in 06 and is now a starter. Essex as drafted on 05 and is pretty solid depth at two positions (G&T). Plus the team picked up Stapleton through UDFA and he looks like he has the potential to have a solid career. Please don't tell me that you don't think that Colbert has tried to address the OL, because it is not the case. Have all the draft picks worked out, NO, but I do think there have been some solid players added to this team.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

BigBen2112

Simply to further illustrate my point we'll go back in time a little (2 years since we cant judge this year or last year really)

2006:
    3.83- Anthony Smith
    3.95- Willie Reid
    4.133- Orien Harris
    5.164- Omar Jacobs
    5.167- Charles Davis

Instead we could have selected:
    3rd round: Jahri Evans- starting G
    Domata Peko- starting NT
    Elivs Dumervill- tweener
    Ray Edwards- tweener
    Rob Sims- starting G
    --I contend that all of the above are better than players we have currently that those positions (except possibly the tweeners b/c it would depend on where they played in our system). Evans is better than any guard or tackle that we have and Sims is easily better than any guard we have. And we could have had any TWO of those above players.

4th round: Kyle Williams- DT
    Parys Haralson- DL
    Anthony Montgomery- DL
    MARK ANDERSON- DL
    Sorry but our DL could be much more dynamic than it is, even if many will argue that we're fine since we generate our pressure via blitz (which doesnt always work and leaves us exposed alot and since our DL fails to open up holes for our LBs we are exposed more than we should be) and our LBs.

5th round: Keith Ellison- LB
    Johnny Jolly- DT
    Charlie Johnson- OT
    Could have had two of them as well as some other players.

Yes I know hindsight is 20/20, but in this business that is not enough.

2005:
    3.93-Trai Essex
    4.131-Fred Gibson
    5.166-Rian Wallace

Instead:
    3rd round: Nick Kaczur
    Marion Barber--gotta throw in Barber and Jacobs just b/c they are so damn good
    Brandon Jacobs

4th round: Chris Canty
    Trent Cole

5th round: Geoff Hangartner
    Jovan Haye

2004: People are going to get on me and say "WE GOT BEN" Yes we did. We got LUCKY that a couple other teams were really stupid and did some interesting things and Ben FELL into our laps. Good for us...the rest of the draft? Sucked!

2.38 Colclough...yeah!
    3.75 Starks...yeah transition all the way to being traded YEAH!
    5.145 Adibi...damn good one he was
    6.177 Lacy
    6.194 Kranchick
    6.197 Caylor
    GOD this draft sucked.

Instead:
    Bob Sanders
    Justin Smiley
    Tank Johnson
    Madieu Williams
    Antwan Odom
    Randy Starks
    ----------------
    Bernard Berrian
    Sean Locklear
    Reggie Torbor
    Demorrio Williams
    Alex Stepanovich
    Robert Geathers
    ----------------------
    Michael Turner
    DJ Hackett
    Rex Hadnot
    Shane Olivea

And the list goes on.

Lets say we only selected ONE player from each draft better than we did, and we wont even choose the best player out of the above:
    2004: Sean Locklear
    2005: Trent Cole
    2006: Jahari Evans

That's only changing THREE players, not even the best available and actually BUILDING around the lines. And we'd have:
    OL: Smith-Evans-???-Colon-Locklear
    DL: Smith-BigSnack-Trent Cole

Our team would look MUCH better even with the above combination...and I am not going to go back any further and analyze things any longer, but you can see my point.

Its going to take a COUPLE drafts and several years to get out of this hole that we're in in terms of Line problems...and we still have to dedicate that time to build them, since we arent going to do it via FA

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel

How many of those passes that were not caught were catchable? I know that he had a couple of drops, but unless this stat takes into account the passes that Lefty airmailed then I don't think it is fair to Baker.

As far as your other point, I don't know exactly what you are getting at. Kemo was drafted in 05 and is now a starter. Colon was drafted in 06 and is now a starter. Essex as drafted on 05 and is pretty solid depth at two positions (G&T). Plus the team picked up Stapleton through UDFA and he looks like he has the potential to have a solid career. Please don't tell me that you don't think that Colbert has tried to address the OL, because it is not the case. Have all the draft picks worked out, NO, but I do think there have been some solid players added to this team.
    So the fact that both of our lines are absolutely horrible and a backup who we are now attempting to trade is being paid the most on the line (beyond smith) is noone's fault at all? Bad luck?

Legend

User Info Menu

Simply to further illustrate my point we'll go back in time a little (2 years since we cant judge this year or last year really)

2006:
    3.83- Anthony Smith
    3.95- Willie Reid
    4.133- Orien Harris
    5.164- Omar Jacobs
    5.167- Charles Davis

Domata Peko- starting NT
    Elivs Dumervill- tweener
    Ray Edwards- tweener
    Rob Sims- starting G
    --I contend that all of the above are better than players we have currently that those positions (except possibly the tweeners b/c it would depend on where they played in our system). Evans is better than any guard or tackle that we have and Sims is easily better than any guard we have. And we could have had any TWO of those above players.

Parys Haralson- DL
    Anthony Montgomery- DL
    MARK ANDERSON- DL
    Sorry but our DL could be much more dynamic than it is, even if many will argue that we're fine since we generate our pressure via blitz (which doesnt always work and leaves us exposed alot and since our DL fails to open up holes for our LBs we are exposed more than we should be) and our LBs.

Johnny Jolly- DT
    Charlie Johnson- OT

2005:
    3.93-Trai Essex
    4.131-Fred Gibson
    5.166-Rian Wallace

Instead:
    Brandon Jacobs

Trent Cole

Jovan Haye

2004: People are going to get on me and say "WE GOT BEN" Yes we did. We got LUCKY that a couple other teams were really stupid and did some interesting things and Ben FELL into our laps. Good for us...the rest of the draft? Sucked!

2.38 Colclough...yeah!
    6.177 Lacy
    6.194 Kranchick
    6.197 Caylor
    GOD this draft sucked.

Instead:
    Bob Sanders
    Justin Smiley
    Tank Johnson
    Madieu Williams
    Antwan Odom
    Randy Starks
    ----------------
    Bernard Berrian
    Sean Locklear
    Reggie Torbor
    Demorrio Williams
    Alex Stepanovich
    Robert Geathers
    ----------------------
    Michael Turner
    DJ Hackett
    Rex Hadnot
    Shane Olivea

And the list goes on.

Lets say we only selected ONE player from each draft better than we did, and we wont even choose the best player out of the above:

That's only changing THREE players, not even the best available and actually BUILDING around the lines. And we'd have:

Our team would look MUCH better even with the above combination...and I am not going to go back any further and analyze things any longer, but you can see my point.

Its going to take a COUPLE drafts and several years to get out of this hole that we're in in terms of Line problems...and we still have to dedicate that time to build them, since we arent going to do it via FA
    You can play the "look at the sucky day two picks" game with any team in the league. Look at the day two picks of, let's say, the New England Patriots and the mighty Scott Pioli over that same 3 year span. Other than the kicker they got in round 4 in '06, there is not another player taken on day two of these three drafts that is a regular contributor to their team. They hit on all three of their first round picks (Wilfork, Mankins, Maroney), plus 3 other current starters (Watson, Kaczur, Hobbs). By comparison, we hit on all three of our first round picks (Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes), plus 2 other current starters (Colon and Kemoeatu) plus two other top regular contributors with some starting experience over the past few years (McFadden and Starks). Fire Pioli!!!

2006 - New England Patriots
    Rd Sel # Player Position School
    1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
    2 36 Chad Jackson WR Florida
    3 86 David Thomas TE Texas
    4 106 Garrett Mills RB Tulsa
    4 118 Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
    5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T California
    6 191 Jeremy Mincey LB Florida
    6 205 Dan Stevenson G Notre Dame
    6 206 Le Kevin Smith DT Nebraska
    7 229 Willie Andrews CB Baylor

2005 - New England Patriots
    1 32 Logan Mankins G Fresno State
    3 84 Ellis Hobbs CB Iowa State
    3 100 Nick Kaczur T Toledo
    4 133 James Sanders SAF Fresno State
    5 170 Ryan Claridge LB Nevada-Las Vegas
    7 230 Matt Cassel QB USC
    7 255 Andy Stokes TE William Penn

2004 - New England Patriots
    1 21 Vince Wilfork NT Miami (Fla.)
    1 32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
    2 63 Marquise Hill DE Louisiana State
    3 95 Guss Scott SAF Florida
    4 113 Dexter Reid SAF North Carolina
    4 128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas
    5 164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State
    7 233 Christian Morton CB Illinois
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

2006:
    3.83- Anthony Smith
    3.95- Willie Reid
    4.133- Orien Harris
    5.164- Omar Jacobs
    5.167- Charles Davis

Domata Peko- starting NT
    Elivs Dumervill- tweener
    Ray Edwards- tweener
    Rob Sims- starting G

Parys Haralson- DL
    Anthony Montgomery- DL
    MARK ANDERSON- DL

Johnny Jolly- DT
    Charlie Johnson- OT

2005:
    3.93-Trai Essex
    4.131-Fred Gibson
    5.166-Rian Wallace

Instead:
    Brandon Jacobs

Trent Cole

Jovan Haye

2.38 Colclough...yeah!
    6.177 Lacy
    6.194 Kranchick
    6.197 Caylor
    GOD this draft sucked.

Instead:
    Bob Sanders
    Justin Smiley
    Tank Johnson
    Madieu Williams
    Antwan Odom
    Randy Starks
    ----------------
    Bernard Berrian
    Sean Locklear
    Reggie Torbor
    Demorrio Williams
    Alex Stepanovich
    Robert Geathers
    ----------------------
    Michael Turner
    DJ Hackett
    Rex Hadnot
    Shane Olivea

And the list goes on.

You can play the "look at the sucky day two picks" game with any team in the league. Look at the day two picks of, let's say, the New England Patriots and the mighty Scott Pioli over that same 3 year span. Other than the kicker they got in round 4 in '06, there is not another player taken on day two of these three drafts that is a regular contributor to their team. They hit on all three of their first round picks (Wilfork, Mankins, Maroney), plus 3 other current starters (Watson, Kaczur, Hobbs). By comparison, we hit on all three of our first round picks (Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes), plus 2 other current starters (Colon and Kemoeatu) plus two other top regular contributors with some starting experience over the past few years (McFadden and Starks). Fire Pioli!!!

2006 - New England Patriots
    1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
    2 36 Chad Jackson WR Florida
    3 86 David Thomas TE Texas
    4 106 Garrett Mills RB Tulsa
    4 118 Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
    5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T California
    6 191 Jeremy Mincey LB Florida
    6 205 Dan Stevenson G Notre Dame
    6 206 Le Kevin Smith DT Nebraska
    7 229 Willie Andrews CB Baylor

2005 - New England Patriots
    1 32 Logan Mankins G Fresno State
    3 84 Ellis Hobbs CB Iowa State
    3 100 Nick Kaczur T Toledo
    4 133 James Sanders SAF Fresno State
    5 170 Ryan Claridge LB Nevada-Las Vegas
    7 230 Matt Cassel QB USC
    7 255 Andy Stokes TE William Penn

2004 - New England Patriots
    1 21 Vince Wilfork NT Miami (Fla.)
    1 32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
    2 63 Marquise Hill DE Louisiana State
    3 95 Guss Scott SAF Florida
    4 113 Dexter Reid SAF North Carolina
    4 128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas
    5 164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State
    7 233 Christian Morton CB Illinois
    You forgot to add how old they are on defense. No way this team can be a consistent winner. They are obviously just a one year wonder.

Sorry Ben but even I could be a GM if I could see 2 years into the future to see how a player would turn out. I think we all agree that our O-line is a weakness and we lack depth on the D-line. The FO has to address these issues and address them soon but I don't think the sky is falling just yet.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!