Thread: Bengals Cut Rudi Johnson

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bengals Cut Rudi Johnson

Per both NFL.com & ESPN, the Bengals have released Johnson

"Posted: August 30th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, roster cut-down
    The Bengals have told veteran running back Rudi Johnson he will be released today."

They must think Perry is finally going to stay healthy
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Bengals Cut Rudi Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    They must think Perry is finally going to stay healthy
    I (sort of) hope so.... I think I garnered a few laughs when I cut Rudi and picked up Perry as a back-up on my fantasy team a few weeks ago....

...As much as your "Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher" hates the Bengals, it was sad to see his decline last season and then this year... But his comments in the local media this past week were of true Bungle character....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

didn't see that NKy. what did he say? i need a good chuckle. well, i mean, i'm starting to get in a good mood after watching this gator game, but something funny would be nice too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    didn't see that NKy. what did he say? i need a good chuckle. well, i mean, i'm starting to get in a good mood after watching this gator game, but something funny would be nice too.
    Yea, after a slow start, 56-0 .... Wow!

... When the trade rumors about him started flying last week before thier last pre-season game, he was spouting off with; "I'll play... If I'm on the team" and "This game means nothin' to me now" and "I'm not suprised, they have wanted me gone for a long time now..." .... Truly classy comments, I tell you....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Rudi was speaking out of frustration, he's usually a stand-up guy. Perhaps he knows how f#cked-up the team is & can't wait to get away?

I'll say this - I'd take him over Shaun Alexander.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

UT vs. UF in a couple of weeks is going to be good.

i would love to see the steelers end up with UT's eric berry somehow.

kid is unreal.

Legend

User Info Menu

According to the Cincinnatti Enquirer, they also cut veteran starting OT Willie Anderson.

[url]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080830/SPT02/308300056/1066[/url]

Bengals release Rudi, Willie

'I was blind-sided,' Anderson says

By Mark Curnutte • [email="mcurnutte@enquirer.comu"]mcurnutte@enquirer.comu[/email] • August 30, 2008

The Bengals have released two long-time starters on offense, tailback Rudi Johnson and right tackle Willie Anderson.

Anderson, entering his 13th season, told The Enquirer of his release.

“They wanted me to take a pay cut,” he said. “I wouldn’t do it.”

Peter Schaffer, Johnson’s agent, confirmed the termination of Johnson’s contract via text message.

The team has not yet announced their 22 roster moves today.

Anderson lost his starting job this offseason to Stacy Andrews. He was due to make a base salary of $3.15 million this season. The Bengals paid him a $2 million roster bonus Jan. 15.

Johnson, slowed by a hamstring injury in the preseason, had been the subject of trade rumors for the past week. He did not play in any of the four preseason games, including Thursday night at Indianapolis, when he said he was healthy enough to see action. He was in uniform and on the sideline after warming up.

Johnson missed five games in 2007 with a hamstring injury. He was due to make a base salary of $3.2 million in 2008.

The Bengals now appear set to go with Chris Perry as their starting tailback, with Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey backing him up.

Said Anderson, “I pretty much knew they would do it. I just didn’t know it would go down like this. I was blind-sided. They were forcing me to make a decision in 24 hours.”

Anderson said he made a counter-offer to the Bengals but they refused it.
    As of 3:15 this afternoon, Anderson had yet to hear from another team.

“If I continue to go on (with another team), I will,” Anderson said. “If not, I would be to go show the people who doubted me that I can still play.”

The Bengals are paying Andrews a $7.455 million one-year salary as the club’s franchise player.

Anderson’s minimum salary would be $830,000. For Johnson, an eighth-year player, the league minimum is $730,000.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not that I care, but I can see Rudi going to the Bears.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    According to the Cincinnatti Enquirer, they also cut veteran starting OT Willie Anderson.
    The local sports talk radio shows had been saying this would happen.... Not a suprise, really.