Thread: Leftwich #2, Batch on IR

BigBen2112

Leftwich #2, Batch on IR

Leftwich No. 2; Batch likely to go on IR
    Saturday, August 30, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to go with Byron Leftwich as their backup quarterback and rookie Dennis Dixon as No. 3, and they will put Charlie Batch on injured reserve or use a procedural injury settlement in which he would be available to them if needed later.

Batch has about four more weeks before he will be healthy enough to play after his collarbone was broken Aug 8 in the first preseason game. If the Steelers place him on injured reserve, he would be done for the season. If they release him and reach an injury settlement with him, he could be available to them in the second half of the season.

Batch had one year left on his contract with the Steelers and would be paid his $1,355,000 salary if placed on injured reserve. If they reach an injury settlement with him, he would receive a portion of that salary and would become a free agent and could sign with any other team. But he also would be available to the Steelers after midseason if, for example, they lost one of their quarterbacks to an injury -- if he did not sign elsewhere.

Coach Mike Tomlin made many of the required cuts yesterday but decided not to announce any publicly until today. The deadline for making cuts is 6 p.m. All teams must reduce their rosters from 75 to 53 to start the season. Those rookies and first-year players who clear waivers will be eligible to join their eight-man practice squad.
    [url]http://postgazette.com/pg/08243/908233-66.stm[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Leftwich #2, Batch on IR

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Leftwich No. 2; Batch likely to go on IR
    Saturday, August 30, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to go with Byron Leftwich as their backup quarterback and rookie Dennis Dixon as No. 3, and they will put Charlie Batch on injured reserve or use a procedural injury settlement in which he would be available to them if needed later.

Batch has about four more weeks before he will be healthy enough to play after his collarbone was broken Aug 8 in the first preseason game. If the Steelers place him on injured reserve, he would be done for the season. If they release him and reach an injury settlement with him, he could be available to them in the second half of the season.

Batch had one year left on his contract with the Steelers and would be paid his $1,355,000 salary if placed on injured reserve. If they reach an injury settlement with him, he would receive a portion of that salary and would become a free agent and could sign with any other team. But he also would be available to the Steelers after midseason if, for example, they lost one of their quarterbacks to an injury -- if he did not sign elsewhere.

Coach Mike Tomlin made many of the required cuts yesterday but decided not to announce any publicly until today. The deadline for making cuts is 6 p.m. All teams must reduce their rosters from 75 to 53 to start the season. Those rookies and first-year players who clear waivers will be eligible to join their eight-man practice squad.
    [url]http://postgazette.com/pg/08243/908233-66.stm[/url]
    Not that surprising considering how well Lefty played.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lefty certainly has exceeded my expectations. I thought he would be a dead man behind our line. I'm glad I was wrong!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Knowing how athletic Lefty is, I'm not at all surprised at his quick progress in the Steelers system. When the Steelers picked him up, I said that it will improve the back-up capability of the QB position for the Steelers. I will stand by that statement. Lefty will be a more than capable backup to Big Ben.

Charlie Batch has been a great Steeler and has given the team his best. I'm glad he's had the chance to play for the hometown team. I'd imagine he will probably suit up again, but probably not as well as he has with the Steelers.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Starter

User Info Menu

Even if Lefty loses interest in being a backup after this season, Dixon should be ready by then. Good move though painful as Batch is a true Steeler.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Knowing how athletic Lefty is, I'm not at all surprised at his quick progress in the Steelers system. When the Steelers picked him up, I said that it will improve the back-up capability of the QB position for the Steelers. I will stand by that statement. Lefty will be a more than capable backup to Big Ben.

Charlie Batch has been a great Steeler and has given the team his best. I'm glad he's had the chance to play for the hometown team. I'd imagine he will probably suit up again, but probably not as well as he has with the Steelers.
    Did you just say "Knowing how athletic Lefty is"???

Leftwich is about as athletic as Napoleon Dynamite.

Luckily, he has an arm like his Uncle Rico (“How Much You Wanna Bet I Could Throw A Football Over Them Mountains?”)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Luckily, he has an arm like his Uncle Rico (“How Much You Wanna Bet I Could Throw A Football Over Them Mountains?”)

Nice!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy

Did you just say "Knowing how athletic Lefty is"???

Leftwich is about as athletic as Napoleon Dynamite.

Yea, now if Lord Byron could just learn not to use all of that arm on screen passes and five-yard slant passes where he tries to throw the ball through bodies, we'll be in business. It's called touch, lefty. For my money, I'd rather have Charlie, but I'm glad the Steelers did the classy thing and didn't just kick him to the curb.