Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About Sweed...

Re: About Sweed...

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I watched the replay this afternoon.... The pass Sweed dropped at the end of the first half was not thrown "hard" in any way. Sweed just dropped it plain and simple... Maybe he was "running before the catch" or something, but those mistakes cannot be made during the regular season when it counts...
    The catch he made in the endzone was a nice catch if he just could have gotten his foot down before his butt

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Don't make excuses for Sweed. Leftwich throws hard, but he doesn't throw knuckleballs. Even a #4 or #5 NFL receiver must make most of those catches. Dude isn't even catching 50% of catchable balls. Ridiculous.
    Not knuckle balls, FASTBALLS, but after seeing the highlights, both drops last night were very catchable.

As far as making excuses I don't need to... the guy is a rookie.
    BnB Mock 2014
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    5. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
    5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame
    6. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
    7. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (went to BnB's Los Alamitos High School)

Another AS masterpiece.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    Don't make excuses for Sweed. Leftwich throws hard, but he doesn't throw knuckleballs. Even a #4 or #5 NFL receiver must make most of those catches. Dude isn't even catching 50% of catchable balls. Ridiculous.
    Not knuckle balls, FASTBALLS, but after seeing the highlights, both drops last night were very catchable.

I don't think excuses need to be made either. The guy is a professional football player and has been playing the game for over a decade now. Just catch the dang ball!! I think the pass at the end of the half was ridiculous, no player that was drafted that high should be dropping passes at the rate that he is. If he doesn't step up his play he will not be playing very much. If the guy wasn't the 2nd rd pick he would be cut.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel

I don't think excuses need to be made either. The guy is a professional football player and has been playing the game for over a decade now. Just catch the dang ball!! I think the pass at the end of the half was ridiculous, no player that was drafted that high should be dropping passes at the rate that he is. If he doesn't step up his play he will not be playing very much. If the guy wasn't the 2nd rd pick he would be cut.
    IMO he was a second round pick based on his "body of work" and thus deserves a chance to show that it is rookie nerves or lingering wrist issues etc.
    Just my 20 cents. :P
    BnB Mock 2014

Another AS masterpiece.

IMO he was a second round pick based on his "body of work" and thus deserves a chance to show that it is rookie nerves or lingering wrist issues etc.
    Me and a couple of buddies were having this conversation at the game on Thursday night. My point, and I hope I am wrong about this, is you can either catch the ball or not. I am worried that we wasted a second round pick on a guy who is never going to amount to anything in the NFL. You can teach Mendy to protect the ball, but how do you teach a receiver to catch better? I really like what i am seeing out of Mendenhaul, outside of his inability to hold on to the football, but Sweed makes me shake my head too many times during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher

Me and a couple of buddies were having this conversation at the game on Thursday night. My point, and I hope I am wrong about this, is you can either catch the ball or not. I am worried that we wasted a second round pick on a guy who is never going to amount to anything in the NFL. You can teach Mendy to protect the ball, but how do you teach a receiver to catch better? I really like what i am seeing out of Mendenhaul, outside of his inability to hold on to the football, but Sweed makes me shake my head too many times during the game.
    Against the Vikings the pass he missed looked like it was shot out of a rocket launcher,
    but I'll admit after rewatching the Carolina game, he missed some perfectly thrown balls.

Maybe I am just trying to be optimistic here, but he appears to be looking at where he wants to go with the ball as opposed to just catching it. If so, that sort of thing is rookie related and should be correctable.
    BnB Mock 2014

Another AS masterpiece.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

The rookies are out there thinking instead of just playing. With his focus off of what is normally automatic for him, the actual act of catching the ball, drops happen. They say that WR is one of the hardest adjustments from the college game to the pro game. In time, this kid could be a good one. Luckily, we don't need him to start from day one. He can be the 4th WR that is only used in certain situations early in the season, such as in the red zone where his physical attributes are such a big advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The rookies are out there thinking instead of just playing. With his focus off of what is normally automatic for him, the actual act of catching the ball, drops happen. They say that WR is one of the hardest adjustments from the college game to the pro game. In time, this kid could be a good one. Luckily, we don't need him to start from day one. He can be the 4th WR that is only used in certain situations early in the season, such as in the red zone where his physical attributes are such a big advantage.
    Obviously, the kid knows how to catch the ball, we drafted him in the second round for cripes sakes, but there are plenty of rookie wide receivers out there who are catching everything thrown their way. Preseason, Regular season, you name it. Just look at Dwane Bowe and Marques Colsten. I know they are on the extreem, but considering this appears to be a head problem with him, I just worry that he will never get past that. I really hope I am wrong on this. With Mendy, I get frustrated because it's an easy fix (don't carry the damn ball like a loaf of bread). With Sweed, I worry that every drop compounds itself in his head. He has the ability, but we can't live with the dropsies.

I think we are worrying needlessly on this one. This guy will be a stud for the Black and Gold and his issues with dropping the ball will resolve itself. WR is one of the hardest positions to transition from the collegiate level to the pros.

Legend

I bet Sweed's catch percentage increases significantly when he is catching balls thrown from Ben versus laser beams from Leftwich.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!