Thread: McFadden too late with great play

Legend

User Info Menu

McFadden too late with great play

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 29, 2008
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_585482.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 85482.html[/url]

• Bryant McFadden may have waited too late to make a serious bid for the starting left cornerback slot, but McFadden was all over the field Thursday night. McFadden made a nice breakup of a Carolina pass intended for Dwayne Jarrett in the first quarter. McFadden, who plays behind Deshea Townsend, reached in and swatted the ball away on first-and-10 from the Steelers' 42. In the second quarter, McFadden intecepted another pass intended for Jarrett, this time on third-and-12, and returned it 31 yards to the Carolina 41. Six plays later, Jeff Reed kicked a 41-yard field goal, giving the Steelers a 10-3 lead. On McFadden's inteception, right cornerback Ike Taylor executed an all-out outside blitz, forcing quarterback Matt Moore to step up in the pocket before releasing the ball.

• Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger appeared in two series and was on the field for eight plays. Roethlisberger did not attempt a pass, but the Steelers did operate from a no-huddle on their second series. For the preseason, Roethlisberger was 21-of-30 (70 percent) for 245 yards, two touchdeowns, one interception and a 102.8 passer rating.

• Lawrence Timmons started at right inside linebacker in place of Larry Foote, who was sidelined with a knee injury. Linebacker Mike Humpal (stinger) and safety Ryan Mundy (ankle) did not dress.

• Rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall fumbled for the second consecutive game. Mendenhall's fumble, which followed a 12-yard run in the second quarter, was recovered by former Steelers cornerback Ricardo Colclough.

• Another Steelers rookie, receiver Limas Sweed, nearly made a spectacular leaping grab in the back of the end zone on a bomb from backup quarterback Byron Leftwich in the second quarter. Sweed got both of his feet down after making the catch, but replays showed that his body touched out of bounds first. Later in the quarter, a wide-open Sweed, who has struggled with drops all preseason, dropped a perfect pass from Leftwich.

• Running back Willie Parker, who averaged 2.9 yards per carry in the first three preseason games, rushed four times for 34 yards (8.5 yards per carry).

• Punter Paul Ernster may have kicked himself out of a job last night. Ernster, who was averaging 44.3 yards per punt in preseason, shanked a 22-yarder in the second quarter.

John Harris can be reached at [email="jharris@tribweb.com"]jharris@tribweb.com[/email] or 412-481-5432.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: McFadden too late with great play

McFadden has more athletic ability than Townsend...but Townsend has been there done that savy. I will have to agree with Bouchette on this one. McFadden is the better corner...but not by much. He will be the 3rd DB because the Steelers will want to keep his price reasonable. Why not squueze as much play out of Townsend and still sign their future reasonably? It makes sense.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    McFadden has more athletic ability than Townsend...but Townsend has been there done that savy. I will have to agree with Bouchette on this one. McFadden is the better corner...but not by much. He will be the 3rd DB because the Steelers will want to keep his price reasonable. Why not squueze as much play out of Townsend and still sign their future reasonably? It makes sense.
    I could see that as long as Townsend can still play at a high level.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I could see that as long as Townsend can still play at a high level.
    You always have insurance. If he starts getting burnt they can always scrap their plans and start Faddy. I think its a wise move. Why show off Mcfadden before he hits the market?
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 29, 2008
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_585482.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 85482.html[/url]

• Bryant McFadden may have waited too late to make a serious bid for the starting left cornerback slot, but McFadden was all over the field Thursday night. McFadden made a nice breakup of a Carolina pass intended for Dwayne Jarrett in the first quarter. McFadden, who plays behind Deshea Townsend, reached in and swatted the ball away on first-and-10 from the Steelers' 42. In the second quarter, McFadden intecepted another pass intended for Jarrett, this time on third-and-12, and returned it 31 yards to the Carolina 41. Six plays later, Jeff Reed kicked a 41-yard field goal, giving the Steelers a 10-3 lead. On McFadden's inteception, right cornerback Ike Taylor executed an all-out outside blitz, forcing quarterback Matt Moore to step up in the pocket before releasing the ball.

John Harris can be reached at [email="jharris@tribweb.com"]jharris@tribweb.com[/email] or 412-481-5432.
    It is never too late for great play, this writer makes it sound like McFadden was sitting back biding his time waiting for the last pre-season game to make a statement.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 29, 2008

It is never too late for great play, this writer makes it sound like McFadden was sitting back biding his time waiting for the last pre-season game to make a statement.
    Dinno, I get what he is saying, that he was kind of non-discript up until last night. He played well on Thursday, though.

Legend

User Info Menu

They should be trying to extend McFadden before the season starts and while they're at it Kemo. Everyone else can wait, even though it may be more costly, Smith, Starks and Essex all have issues, some with health and some with talent level.

McFadden is going to end being a very good in this league and I'd love to see the Steelers lock him him up now for about 4 years.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    They should be trying to extend McFadden before the season starts and while they're at it Kemo. Everyone else can wait, even though it may be more costly, Smith, Starks and Essex all have issues, some with health and some with talent level.

McFadden is going to end being a very good in this league and I'd love to see the Steelers lock him him up now for about 4 years.

Pappy
    Pap,
    I've been screaming that the Steelers should sign BMac now. If they wait, I promise he'll sign a 50+ million dollar deal next March.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Pap,
    I've been screaming that the Steelers should sign BMac now. If they wait, I promise he'll sign a 50+ million dollar deal next March.
    How much of it do you think will be guaranteed?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In the second quarter, McFadden intecepted another pass intended for Jarrett, this time on third-and-12, and returned it 31 yards to the Carolina 41. Six plays later, Jeff Reed kicked a 41-yard field goal, giving the Steelers a 10-3 lead. On McFadden's inteception, right cornerback Ike Taylor executed an all-out outside blitz, forcing quarterback Matt Moore to step up in the pocket before releasing the ball.

...This is one reason why I don't have too much heartburn over the issue with Troy being all over the place... The pressure on the qb.

...I'm watching the replay right now on NFLN and just saw the INT... Man, that pass was SOOOOOO off target!.....