Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starks as back up/3rd TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Starks as back up/3rd TE

From Coach Tomlin's PC yesterday:

"Bruce Arians has said he’s a three-tight end guy. Is that still the case?

We’ve got some schematic flexibility to fit what we believe our strengths are. Ideally, you’d like to have a third tight end. We’ve got some candidates and we’ll be watching those guys closely. But that’s a position that’s still in development.

Might Max (Starks) play some tight end?

Yes, and of course he did that for us some last year. "

Would seem to make sense since the 3rd TE seems to be the blocking TE. Having Starks back up at both Tackle positions plus TE is definitely positional flexibility.

Also saves a roster spot which is always good. I hope we sign Boyd back as he gets healthy.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Starks as back up/3rd TE

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    From Coach Tomlin's PC yesterday:

"Bruce Arians has said he’s a three-tight end guy. Is that still the case?

We’ve got some schematic flexibility to fit what we believe our strengths are. Ideally, you’d like to have a third tight end. We’ve got some candidates and we’ll be watching those guys closely. But that’s a position that’s still in development.

Might Max (Starks) play some tight end?

Yes, and of course he did that for us some last year. "

Would seem to make sense since the 3rd TE seems to be the blocking TE. Having Starks back up at both Tackle positions plus TE is definitely positional flexibility.

Also saves a roster spot which is always good. I hope we sign Boyd back as he gets healthy.
    For $7 mil, he should be able to play LT, RT, TE, waterboy, groundskeeper, bus driver, assistant to the equipment manager, etc.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

$7 Mil to play 3rd string TE, I'm definitely in the wrong profession...

Legend

User Info Menu

Spaeth, Miller, Vickers, and a rookie.

Didn't we have 3 top notch tight ends last year (i.e., another big name besides Spaeth and Miller)? I remember being all excited about the 3 TE set with 3 beasts.

Maybe just the fog of the offseason playing havoc with the memory

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

Didn't we have 3 top notch tight ends last year (i.e., another big name besides Spaeth and Miller)? I remember being all excited about the 3 TE set with 3 beasts.

Don't remember you guys having a good 3rd TE last season. Maybe you're thinking about a RB lining up as a TE or something in the 3 TE sets?

Legend

User Info Menu

We had Tuman I think as #3. They brought back Cody Boyd and he looked close to locking down the #3 spot until he hurt his shoulder. They Waived him in the "waived/ injured" status. Tomlin mentioned in his PC about resigning him to the PS. Apparently Tomlin said his surgery was not as bad as expected so maybe we see him back by mid season.

I still want my "redwood red zone offense" with Miller (6'5"), Spaeth (6'7"), Boyd (6'8") and Sweed (6'4").
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

We had Tuman I think as #3. They brought back Cody Boyd and he looked close to locking down the #3 spot until he hurt his shoulder. They Waived him in the "waived/ injured" status. Tomlin mentioned in his PC about resigning him to the PS. Apparently Tomlin said his surgery was not as bad as expected so maybe we see him back by mid season.

I still want my "redwood red zone offense" with Miller (6'5"), Spaeth (6'7"), Boyd (6'8") and Sweed (6'4").
    Thanks jom112 and oviedo

Don't forget Big Ben at 6'4 or 5" also !

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, Tuman started out on our active roster, but when he was injured, Starks filled in as the de facto 3rd TE in short yardage/goal line situations. Looks like it may be a whole lot of the same this season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Yeah, Tuman started out on our active roster, but when he was injured, Starks filled in as the de facto 3rd TE in short yardage/goal line situations. Looks like it may be a whole lot of the same this season.
    Yeah, Max did this on 04 too when he was a rookie. Heck we might as well get something out of him. Have we ever checked his hands, maybe Ben can throw him a couple of TD's this year, at least then he will be worth a couple million. Well maybe not!

What a terrible waste of $!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Max should play the backup anywhere we can get some of that $7M guaranteed out of him. Perhaps he can cook too? As big as he is..........
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.