Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sacks are a Priority

Legend

Re: Sacks are a Priority

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I have long contended that it is "easier" to get DL that fit a 4-3 and that allows you to have a ore effective rotation. I think if we had been running a 4-3 we would have a lot more younger DL because it is an easier transition.

We were innovators going to the 3-4 and the rest of the league followed. I just think that it may be time to lead the way in another direction.
    Question for you O...

Are you saying that we should permanently move to the 4-3 or lead in some other "direction", and if so, do you think LeBeau would be able to contrive as many innovative blitz packages in it? .... He's getting old, and undoubtably at the tail-end of his coaching career.
    I would advocate a move to the 4-3 because I think it is easier to get young players playing that defense effectively faster. The "LeBeau redshirt year" that players in our front 7 seem to have to go through to begin to understand this complex defense is IMO not in the best interests of the team.

I also think given the fact that we charge Troy into the middle of the OL is an indication that the schemes aren't working. We all saw how Tory was on the LOS and attempting to rush--he had no sacks. He got beat up and injured. It just doesn't work.

Hopefully Timmons and Woodley in the line up can make the difference and make the 3-4 work again. If not them I think there needs to be serious consideration for the 4-3.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Sacks are great, but collapsing the pocket and creating consistant pressure are the keys. Woodley and Aaron Smith will keep a QB hemmed in better than smaller guys who rely on Speed. Then, when we do blitz there won't be as many places to escape as there were last year when Haggans was sprinting ten yards up field to run around the OT.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Woodley and Aaron Smith will keep a QB hemmed in better than smaller guys who rely on Speed.
    ...And if Smith goes down with another injury this season?...............

I don't recall if it was in this thread or a different one (the "back" button doesn't work on this site for me... It deletes what I'm posting), but O was talking about needing to "beef" up the D-line with new blood.... I couldn't agree more, because the line we have is getting quite old and there is little quality depth...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Woodley and Aaron Smith will keep a QB hemmed in better than smaller guys who rely on Speed.
    ...And if Smith goes down with another injury this season?...............

I don't recall if it was in this thread or a different one (the "back" button doesn't work on this site for me... It deletes what I'm posting), but O was talking about needing to "beef" up the D-line with new blood.... I couldn't agree more, because the line we have is getting quite old and there is little quality depth...
    You are correct. My poiint was that we need to get younger players on the DL who can perform at a high level sooner. My hypothesis was that the 3-4 defense makes that harder than the 4-3 which is why we are where we are.

If you look at the current roster, Woodley, Kiesel and possibly Bruce Davis could easily step in at 4-3 DE. It just seems that it is very difficult to find 3-4 DEs who have both the size and quickness to play that position to Aaron Smith's level of skill. Look at Kiesel, everyone continues to be disappointed with him since Kimo left but we can't seem to find a replacement. NT may even be more difficult to find for the 3-4. How much longer can Casey do it and his back up is older than him.

Just saying that the 3-4 is a very effective defense with the right players, but manning it with the people you need to be a top defense just seems to get harder and harder.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!