Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooney Issue: Statement by Goodell

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rooney Issue: Statement by Goodell

Tuesday, August 26, 2008
    STATEMENT BY COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL:

We had a very constructive 2 ½ -hour meeting today. I think everyone now has an even better understanding of the issues, which focus on the league's gambling policy as it relates to ownership, our 30 percent equity rule for principal owners, and the Rooney family issues.

There are also important league interests that are involved because the NFL owners are partners collectively in the NFL and our rules require that all ownership transfers be approved by three-quarters of the owners. So I thought it would make sense on that basis to have NFL owners involved in the meeting and I invited Tom Benson, Mike Brown, and Jerry Richardson to participate, which they did.

Today was another step in the process. We will continue the dialogue and I am optimistic that we will bring it to a resolution in the near future.

-------------------------------------------------

... Sounds like Goodell wants this cleared-up sooner than later...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rooney Issue: Statement by Goodell

So do I

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wonder who that favors?

maybe SD, since it seems his finances are rock solid.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    wonder who that favors?

I think it favors Dan Rooney, judging by this comment:

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=20396"]posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=20396[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Goodell
    "I think everyone now has an even better understanding of the issues," Goodell said. Goodell indicated that the league and its owners would certainly prefer that Dan Rooney and his son Art II, who is president of the Steelers, remain in control of the team.

"There's great respect for the Rooney family in the National Football League,'' Goodell told reporters afterward, "and we want to do everything we can to ensure that the Steelers continue to be operated by the Rooneys and the way they've been operated."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    wonder who that favors?

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=20396"]posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=20396[/url]

"I think everyone now has an even better understanding of the issues," Goodell said. Goodell indicated that the league and its owners would certainly prefer that Dan Rooney and his son Art II, who is president of the Steelers, remain in control of the team.

"There's great respect for the Rooney family in the National Football League,'' Goodell told reporters afterward, "and we want to do everything we can to ensure that the Steelers continue to be operated by the Rooneys and the way they've been operated."

who cares what you think.

you're pathetic.

follow your own team ****brd.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Eddie Spaghetti][quote=Jom112]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti":1ksw9ieg]wonder who that favors?

maybe SD, since it seems his finances are rock solid.[/quote]

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=20396
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/po ... =2&p=20396[/url]

who cares what you think.

you're pathetic.

follow your own team ****brd.[/quote:1ksw9ieg]

Hold on there cowboy...why all the hostility?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Hold on there cowboy...why all the hostility?
    TL

Legend

User Info Menu

The fact that Jerry Richardson was involved is a good sign, because reports are that he and Rooney are virtually inseparable at all of the major league functions like owners' meetings. If Mara were also included (the third member of their little tripod), it would have been a slam dunk.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i think it's funny all you spares cuddle up with a bungles fan.

but then it makes me sad.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The fact that Jerry Richardson was involved is a good sign, because reports are that he and Rooney are virtually inseparable at all of the major league functions like owners' meetings. If Mara were also included (the third member of their little tripod), it would have been a slam dunk.
    Very true Ruthless..... They go waaaaay back. It was incredible reading about some of the stories in his book....

I do hope that it's a good sign, but Dan wanted more time to work something out. If Goodell is pushing the issue, it may work against Dan in a "timeframe" aspect....

As for the comments about a certain Bengal supporter (not by you, Ruthless....), he is a quality poster with alot of good banter most of the time. Personally, I welcome him to the board...