Thread: Guess at the opening day 53

Legend

User Info Menu

Guess at the opening day 53

On Offense:

QBs: Seems set in stone, but as a curve ball was Dixon getting set up for IR by not playing in the last game. Go with two QBs until Charlie comes back?
    Ben
    Leftwich
    Dixon

WRs: Maybe the best we have had in a long time. Don't be surprised if Sweed is inactive on game day early in the season and Reid plays.
    Holmes
    Ward
    Washington
    Sweed
    Reid

TE: I think they keep Boyd. They liked him enough to bring him back and he is apparently the best blocker.
    Miller
    Spaeth
    Boyd

RB: Deepest position on the team. Curveball would be Latsko over Davis.
    Parker
    Mendenhall
    Russell
    Moore
    Davis

OL: Area of concern and I think the starting 5 will change by mid season. My bold prediction: Simmons may play his way to the bench and Colon goes inside to his spot and Starks to RT. I think thats how they should have gone from Day 1.
    Smith
    Kemo
    Hartwig
    Simmons
    Colon
    Starks
    Hills
    Mahan
    Essex
    Stapleton

Now on defense:

DL: Please God keep them safe and healthy! Kirschke may be on the bubble if they can get someone off the waivers.
    A. Smith
    Hampton
    Keisel
    Hoke
    Kirschke
    Roye

LBs: Position of strength after excellent one year rebuild by FO.
    J. Harrison
    Timmons
    Farrior
    Woodley
    Foote
    Davis
    Fox
    A Harrison

Safety: Hate to see Carter here, but he probably won a roster spot against the Vikings. If Munday had not got hurt Carter wouldn't be here. The problem is you have three Strong Safeties and one Free Safety. I guess Toensend is the backup Free Safety.
    Polamalu
    Carter
    Smith
    Clark

CBs: I think the young guys, Lewis and Williams, have shown enough to stay.
    Townsend
    Taylor
    McFadden
    Roy Lewis
    Travis Williams
    Gay

Special Teams:
    P= Ernster
    K= Reed
    LS= Warren

Practice Squad: Humpal, Mundy, McBean, Latsko, Legursky, Lentz, Paxson + One DL from the waiver. IMO Humpal and Mundy would have made the 53 if not for injuries.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Guess at the opening day 53

seems about right. i think sweed will be active for every game though. i could definetly see simmons on the bench by mid season. i also agree that they keep boyd, he is a good blocker. i think eason will make the team, he has actually played well this preseason even though he was god awful last year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

QBs:
    Roethlisberger
    Leftwich
    Dixon
    (Batch to PUP or released. Even if he goes to the PUP I feel they will stay with Leftwich when Batch's deadline hits. Knowing the Steelers, they are talking with him right now. For Batch's sake, they are probably telling him what will happen and are giving him an opportunity to find another team and learn the offense before it is time for him to return. Leftwich & Dixon have played well enough for the Steelers to consider moving on without Batch.)

WRs:
    Holmes
    Ward
    Washington
    Sweed
    Reid
    (They will try to hide Baker on the practice squad with Rucker. Drummond might still be in the mix as a KR/PR if he has a good showing against Carolina. I expect Drummond, Reid, & Williams to see allot of KR/PR come Thursday.)

TE:
    Miller
    Spaeth
    Boyd
    (Depending if they keep Drummond or not could influence this roster spot. If the Steelers keep 5 WRs, I expect them to carry 3 TEs. If they carry 6 WRs(Drummond), I feel Miller & Spaeth will be the only 2 they keep. Boyd might be headed to the PS if his health is an issue & Vickers might be the 3rd TE.)

RB:
    Parker
    Mendenhall
    Russell
    Moore
    Davis
    (Russell should make his case against Carolina. Hasn't seen the field much with Mendenhall in camp. Still to much raw talent in Russell to not keep him around, In my opinion!)

OL:
    Smith
    Kemo
    Hartwig
    Simmons
    Colon
    Starks
    Hills
    Mahan
    Essex
    Stapleton
    (Capazzi injury hurts. I think he would have moved Hills to the PS to develop. Might see a new face here if an OL gets released because of a salary cap move. they will only bring a guy in if he could push for a starting spot.)

DL:
    A. Smith
    Hampton
    Keisel
    Hoke
    Kirschke
    Roye
    (Starters are solid and I only think Hoke's job is secure on the second team. I wouldn't be surprised with 1 or 2 new additions depending on who hits the waiver wire. Biggest area of concern on the team. Depth is needed and Keisel could be upgraded. I would think at least 1 new DE is a definite...Most likely Kirschke's spot!)

LBs:
    J Harrison
    Timmons
    Farrior
    Woodley
    Foote
    Davis
    Fox
    A Harrison
    (I think you are right about Humpal. If he was healthy, he would have made the 53. Should be able to hide Humpal on the PS)

Safety:
    Polamalu
    Carter
    Smith
    Clark
    (Again, exactly right about Mundy vs Carter. But Carter will be looking over his shoulder. When Mundy is healthy, he might come of the PS to replace Carter. If Carter gets hurt, he looses his spot.)

CBs:
    Townsend
    Taylor
    McFadden
    Roy Lewis
    Travis Williams
    Gay
    (You might be right here too. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new face here. Depending on what the guy would sign for. Maybe a guy like David #5 if NO release him. Possibly "Batman" Carroll a shot as the #5. It looks like he got his life turned around and is doing a decent job on kick returns. Don't know if the Jets could make room for him or not. Just 2 names I threw out but who knows who will be on the market.)

Special Teams:
    P= Ernster
    K= Reed
    LS= Warren

Practice Squad: Baker, Rucker, Humpal, Mundy, McBean, Paxson, & 2 OL off of waivers. I think the European player is on the PS with an exemption too.

For the most part, I agree with your 53. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone added to the 53 (For the right price) at DL, OL, KR/PR, or CB...In that order. This last game is extremely important in the ST department. Some guys might not make it if they don't produce. Lewis & Williams have to perform well as the gunner to move Madison off the roster. Williams could make a case if he gets some PRs in. I count 39 spots locked up...Only 14 open.

Legend

User Info Menu

Boyd was released today so we can stop picking him as the 3rd TE to make the team!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Boyd was released today so we can stop picking him as the 3rd TE to make the team!
    Darn. Got to believe they will be looking on waiver wire. I don't think Vickers is the answer. The return of Mark Bruner

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Darn. Got to believe they will be looking on waiver wire. I don't think Vickers is the answer. The return of Mark Bruner
    i cant believe mark bruner is still around, thats amazing

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    i cant believe mark bruner is still around, thats amazing
    Still with the Houston Texans. Thiry-five and still going strong.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Like I said...Health is an issue!

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe, they will keep two tight ends and an extra WR and use a tackle for the jumbo packages.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Like I said...Health is an issue!
    Hopefully we resign Boyd to the PS.