Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Making Sure Mendenhall Holds On To Ball

Re: Steelers Making Sure Mendenhall Holds On To Ball

He wasn't wearing the Black Rubber Arm Pads was he? Madden would have a field day about it if he was.

Also, I figured Tomlin would've been the mastermind of this idea seeing as he had to go through the same thing in the Program.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Anyone know if he had a fumbling problem in college?
    Not that I remember.. I seen him put a few on the ground but since he was in a spread option the ball hit the ground more then normal.

I just think he is getting used to being hit by bigger guys and getting run down by guys he would fly by in college. I was impressed by him on the first play when he fumbled.. he showed great change of direction and next year he will break that tackle and take it to the house...

but right now, he is still adjusting. I don't trust the long runs against second and 3rd teams though.. but like the way he is finishing runs compared to his first 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    its funny they make him carry a ball around. it reminds me of the program
    Yeah, I remember when Mike Tomlin's, oops, I mean Omar Epp's character had to do that.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Anyone know if he had a fumbling problem in college?
    Not that I remember.. I seen him put a few on the ground but since he was in a spread option the ball hit the ground more then normal.

I just think he is getting used to being hit by bigger guys and getting run down by guys he would fly by in college. I was impressed by him on the first play when he fumbled.. he showed great change of direction and next year he will break that tackle and take it to the house...

but right now, he is still adjusting. I don't trust the long runs against second and 3rd teams though.. but like the way he is finishing runs compared to his first 2 games.
    Nice to see you here feltdizz!

FYI - Mendenhall did have some fumble issues early in his college career and the Steelers were aware of it when he was drafted.

From the Trib-review after the game:

Unfortunately for the Steelers, Mendenhall also struggled with something that plagued him early in his career at Illinois.

"It's something we were concerned about. It's something we made him aware of," Tomlin said of Mendenhall hanging onto the ball. "It's part of being a ball toter in the National Football League. He's got the skill set to be successful. But the prerequisite is ball security, and he's got to shore up that element of his game."

I think he'll be fine but it's good that it's getting addressed early and by his teammates!

Legend

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if a reporter stripped it from him? Think the guy would make it to the RB meeting with the ball?

I'm not fond of this kind of "training exercise" personally. While a player needs to work on the weaker parts of his game...forcing a player to fixate on a problem can actually cause more problems in the long run. Fixating on the negative is never good in any sport. It's kinda like when you are playing golf...you tell yourself...don't slice into the pond...don't slice into the pond...you hit the ball and what do you do? You slice into the pond.

Instead, you educate...work on a few techniques to better carry the ball and move on. I don't see how this helps.

Legend

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood and I never slice!