Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Iron Shiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Splash Play City, OH
    Posts
    3,630

    Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Just two observations about this game (and follow up questions):

    - Colts opened Lucas Oil Stadium tonight. That is a marvelous looking stadium on TV. Really a good job they did with it, inside and out.
    - Question: Do you think they brought the "extra" sound system over from the old stadium or did they upgrade?

    - NFLN has a 3 man booth: Sterling Sharpe, Marshall Faulk, and Deion Sanders
    - Question: How the hell did they settle on this? 3 former players and no Analyst experience whatsoever. Sharpe sounds lost. But its gotta be better than the abomination that was Gumble. Thank god he's gone. I don't think any of these guys will call the game with a lozenge in their mouth or burp on air.

    Bonus Observation: Sorgi was supposed to start but Jared Lorenzen was in, and Peyton made an appearance. I wonder what the heck is going on with the Colts.
    -- Anyone think Peyton is hurt more than they are letting on?
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Just two observations about this game (and follow up questions):

    - Colts opened Lucas Oil Stadium tonight. That is a marvelous looking stadium on TV. Really a good job they did with it, inside and out.
    - Question: Do you think they brought the "extra" sound system over from the old stadium or did they upgrade?

    - NFLN has a 3 man booth: Sterling Sharpe, Marshall Faulk, and Deion Sanders
    - Question: How the hell did they settle on this? 3 former players and no Analyst experience whatsoever. Sharpe sounds lost. But its gotta be better than the abomination that was Gumble. Thank god he's gone. I don't think any of these guys will call the game with a lozenge in their mouth or burp on air.

    Bonus Observation: Sorgi was supposed to start but Jared Lorenzen was in, and Peyton made an appearance. I wonder what the heck is going on with the Colts.
    -- Anyone think Peyton is hurt more than they are letting on?
    Problem with that is they're all color men...and no, that's not a racist joke! I like these guys but I prefer a sportscaster as the announcer and a former player as analyst.

    As for the stadium, I can't comment on the sound system, but how about that view?



    http://thesportsroadtrip.wnymedia.net/b ... ooooooooo/

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,272

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    [quote=stlrz d][quote="Iron Shiek":2xtdwx23]Just two observations about this game (and follow up questions):

    - Colts opened Lucas Oil Stadium tonight. That is a marvelous looking stadium on TV. Really a good job they did with it, inside and out.
    - Question: Do you think they brought the "extra" sound system over from the old stadium or did they upgrade?

    - [b]NFLN has a 3 man booth: Sterling Sharpe, Marshall Faulk, and Deion Sanders[/b]
    - Question: How the hell did they settle on this? 3 former players and no Analyst experience whatsoever. Sharpe sounds lost. But its gotta be better than the abomination that was Gumble. Thank god he's gone. I don't think any of these guys will call the game with a lozenge in their mouth or burp on air.

    Bonus Observation: Sorgi was supposed to start but Jared Lorenzen was in, and Peyton made an appearance. I wonder what the heck is going on with the Colts.
    -- Anyone think Peyton is hurt more than they are letting on?[/quote]

    Problem with that is they're all color men...and no, that's not a racist joke! I like these guys but I prefer a sportscaster as the announcer and a former player as analyst.

    As for the stadium, I can't comment on the sound system, but how about that view?



    [url="http://thesportsroadtrip.wnymedia.net/blogs/2008/07/18/obstructed-view-at-lucas-oil-field-nooooooooooo/"]http://thesportsroadtrip.wnymedia.net/b ... ooooooooo/[/url][/quote:2xtdwx23]

    Wow! Reminds me of old Cleveland Municipal Stadium! That is terrible! I can't believe that the place is just opening and there are seats like that!!! What a shame! They are probably charging about 80 bucks for those seats, too!

    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

  4. #4
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Bob Papa, who does play-by-play for the Giants, has a show on Sirius NFL Radio, and called the boxing matches during the Olympics, has signed on to replace Gumbel for the play-by-play duties for those Thursday night games on NFL Network late in the season.

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,432

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    Wow! Reminds me of old Cleveland Municipal Stadium!


    Beat me to it. Good thing they didn't exactly have too many sell outs in that stadium
    and it was easy to sit just about any where you wanted after a few innings.

  6. #6

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    My father in law toured the luc a week or so ago, and he told me about those seats behind the pillars. Kinda stupid, if you ask me.

    As far as the sound system goes . . .

    I went down to Indy to catch the Steelers/Colts monday nighter in 2005. I swear I lost some hearing that night. It was so loud that , well, I have never heard it that loud. That being said . . . The cavernous nature of the luc means that it will never get that loud again, piped in or not, so I think they really dropped the ball on that home field advantage. The acoustics of the old dome made it very condusive to getting loud, it was very cozy in there. This place is a very large room. And when are the Colts ever going to open the roof? Why would they, they are built for indoors and no elements. The retractable roof was dumb for them, IMO

    The three-man team on NFLN really, really blew. No one called the play until after it ended. I found myself wondering who caught the ball many times and quite a few of those times, they still got it wrong. Sterling Sharp may ad something as a color analysist, but certainly nothing as a lead man. Marshall Faulk was ok as a color guy, better than Sterling, and Deon was horrible. The whole broadcast had the feel that they had this little conversation going on between the three, and we as listeners, were eavsdropping. I didn't care for it.

  7. #7
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    And when are the Colts ever going to open the roof? Why would they, they are built for indoors and no elements. The retractable roof was dumb for them, IMO
    Peyton, Marvin, Wayne, Clark, Addai, etc. will not be around forever. This building will be the Colts home for the next 30 years. Who is to say that by 2015, the Colts aren't a team built on a power running game and a nasty defense?

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer Iron Shiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Splash Play City, OH
    Posts
    3,630

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    The whole broadcast had the feel that they had this little conversation going on between the three, and we as listeners, were eavsdropping. I didn't care for it.
    I am willing to bet the NFLN was aiming for this type of feel to their broadcast. They are trying different things to shy away from a typical football broadcast. And I think it would be nice to have that "guys watching a game and talkin" kind of feel to it, but they didn't quite pick the best people for it. Sterling needs some work on Play by Play, but he can probably do it. Marshall was okay, he had a lot of good inside info being that he knew Tom Moore's playbook and alot of the players. Deion's only role was to go "OOOOOHHHHH" and "OH MY GODD!!!" I guess that is color commentary

    I still say this was more watchable than Gumbo...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

  9. #9

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    The whole broadcast had the feel that they had this little conversation going on between the three, and we as listeners, were eavsdropping. I didn't care for it.
    I am willing to bet the NFLN was aiming for this type of feel to their broadcast. They are trying different things to shy away from a typical football broadcast. And I think it would be nice to have that "guys watching a game and talkin" kind of feel to it, but they didn't quite pick the best people for it. Sterling needs some work on Play by Play, but he can probably do it. Marshall was okay, he had a lot of good inside info being that he knew Tom Moore's playbook and alot of the players. Deion's only role was to go "OOOOOHHHHH" and "OH MY GODD!!!" I guess that is color commentary

    I still say this was more watchable than Gumbo...

    Steigerwald and Jackson (I think that was the Steelers local tv guys) were more watchable than Gumbo. That doesn't say a whole lot. Out of the three, i actually liked Marchall Faulk, the other two were pretty bad, for whatever they were trying to do.

  10. #10

    Re: Colts v. Bills on NFL Network

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    And when are the Colts ever going to open the roof? Why would they, they are built for indoors and no elements. The retractable roof was dumb for them, IMO
    Peyton, Marvin, Wayne, Clark, Addai, etc. will not be around forever. This building will be the Colts home for the next 30 years. Who is to say that by 2015, the Colts aren't a team built on a power running game and a nasty defense?
    I think I am fairly accurate when I say that they got this stadium deal in quick before Peyton, Marvin, etc., retired, because the Colts front office knows they didn;t even sell out the RCA dome but for a few years ago, and they had a very good Peyton, Marvin, Faulk/James then. Didn;t matter, they still needed Eli Lilly to step in and buy tickes to keep them from being blacked out. Indy just isn't a football town. They got while the getting was good.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •