Thread: Ben's Happy Feet and Other Thoughts

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben's Happy Feet and Other Thoughts

Sorry I missed the game thread last night and I don't know whether any of this was mentioned or not, but I thought I'd subject you all to my observations.

It's hard to blame Ben, because he was under duress most of the evening, but it was the first time (other than 2006) that I've seen him rattled at all. On the rare occasions he was given time to throw, he seemed to be expecting the rush and either hurried his throws or didn't bother looking downfield because he didn't believe he'd have time. There were a few throws in particular (to Washington on the goal line, the low ball to Hines, and I forget the third) where the ball fluttered out of his hand and was way off the mark. I also noticed that his movement in the pocket was more akin to survival mode than it was evading the rush and looking down field for the play, which is something I'm not used to seeing from him (the lone exception was when he stepped up in the pocket and those three defenders all collided...great throw and Miller dropped the ball).

To that end, our greatest fear heading into the season was the most glaring eye-sore last night, which was our line. They did a horrible job of pass protection and opened few holes in the running game. Sure we won't face that quality of a defensive line too often, but they should all be embarrassed by the performance. It's very evident to me that we are going to have to run quite a bit of no-huddle this season and mix in a good dose of screens, draws, and three-step drops to help this line out.

I thought Willie ran very hard despite the low production (although he was flattened trying to pass protect on that bum rush in the second quarter) and Mendenhall, despite the two fumbles, looked very good cutting and running people over. If our line can get these guys just a little daylight it'll do wonders for our pass protection as well.

Hard to evaluate any of the receivers last night but I thought Miller did a great job of getting open and giving Ben a target, although he dropped that potential first down.

The defense looked as impressive as I've seen them in a long time. Now there were a few breakdowns in coverage when the rush didn't immediately get to Frerotte, but we were in that guy's face most of the evening and did an unbelievable job against their vaunted running game. Aaron Smith was a friggin' beast to open that game up, Woodley got some serious heat on a few occasions (and simply ran over their RT like he was a small child on his sack) and Timmons was all over the place. I gotta say that I'm becoming more and more impressed with Timmons every time he steps on the field. I saw Casey Hampton actually get off the ball, split a double team, and make a play in the backfield...haven't seen that in a long time. To top things off, Brett Kiesel was also very active last night and played one of his best games in awhile.

All in all, we played lights-out on defense last night and that was a great relief, especially considering there was no Troy Polamalu.

As far as special teams...great coverage, Reed was money, but Holmes didn't sell me that he's the answer in the punt return game (granted only two attempts). None of our returners stood out and I'm surprised we didn't get a longer look at Drummond last night...I guess his fate has been decided.

While I think the piss-poor pass protection is symptomatic of what we'll see most of the year, I don't think Ben's reaction to it will be as bad as what we saw last night, and like I said...there are ways that Bruce Arians can help that group out. I'm looking for the best pass rush this team has seen since we put up 55 sacks back in '01 or '02 and hopefully it'll be the catalyst to a season of dominance.

I think we are ready to take on the league's toughest schedule and reclaim the AFC North title

BigBen2112

Re: Ben's Happy Feet and Other Thoughts

Our offensive line absolutely sucks. There is not a single member of this OL that is a dynamic blocker on both passing and rushing situations. Not ONE.

Colon- sucks
    Simmons- sucks
    Hartwig- only moderately better than Mahan...WOOHOO
    Kemoeatu- might be the best on the line...at least he shows some tenacity
    Smith- adequate at best

I mean jesus did anyone else notice the one time that Ben was sacked that FOUR other players could have sacked him? The WHOLE LINE imploded...and it did so CONTINUALLY against a FOUR man rush.

Or how about that time that Russell was handed the ball as he was being tackled...Ben couldnt even make a handoff without pressure.

This offensive line is horrid.

And the DL isnt much better. Thank GOD for Aaron Smith. Hampton is old, fat, and next to useless, and Keisel? HAHAHA

This could be a LONG year in the trenches for the Steelers.

Next years draft:
    1. OL/DL
    2. OL/DL
    3. OL/DL
    4. OL/DL
    5. OL/DL/CB
    6. OL/DL/ILB
    7. OL/DL
    8...................oh sh*t there isnt enough rounds for us to completely rebuild the line. DAMN!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Our offensive line absolutely sucks. There is not a single member of this OL that is a dynamic blocker on both passing and rushing situations. Not ONE.

Colon- sucks
    Simmons- sucks
    Smith- adequate at best

I mean jesus did anyone else notice the one time that Ben was sacked that FOUR other players could have sacked him? The WHOLE LINE imploded...and it did so CONTINUALLY against a FOUR man rush.

Or how about that time that Russell was handed the ball as he was being tackled...Ben couldnt even make a handoff without pressure.

And the DL isnt much better. Thank GOD for Aaron Smith. Hampton is old, fat, and next to useless, and Keisel? HAHAHA

Next years draft:
    1. OL/DL
    2. OL/DL
    3. OL/DL
    4. OL/DL
    5. OL/DL/CB
    6. OL/DL/ILB
    7. OL/DL
    8...................oh sh*t there isnt enough rounds for us to completely rebuild the line. DAMN!
    So let me get this straight Benny...you're not really liking anyone on the offensive line?

Hard to defend any of them after last night (and last season), but I don't think they're quite as bad as you paint them to be, but I agree we need upgrades everywhere up front.

As far as the defensive line, I thought it was the best game collectively by all three that I've seen in a long time. As much as I love the intangiables that Kiesel brings, I've been a very outspoken critic of his ability to play DE in our scheme. But last night I thought he was very active...getting pressure and moving through the wash to make tackles at the LOS. I did see Hampton get moved back a couple of times, but he also clogged the middle very effectively last night and even was able to get those jelly rolls out of his stance quick enough to split a double team and make a play in the backfield like he used to do.

That said, I agree with your 2009 draft strategy.

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112

Colon- sucks
    Simmons- sucks
    Smith- adequate at best

Next years draft:
    1. OL/DL
    2. OL/DL
    3. OL/DL
    4. OL/DL
    5. OL/DL/CB
    6. OL/DL/ILB
    7. OL/DL
    So let me get this straight Benny...you're not really liking anyone on the offensive line?

Hard to defend any of them after last night (and last season), but I don't think they're quite as bad as you paint them to be, but I agree we need upgrades everywhere up front.

As far as the defensive line, I thought it was the best game collectively by all three that I've seen in a long time. As much as I love the intangiables that Kiesel brings, I've been a very outspoken critic of his ability to play DE in our scheme. But last night I thought he was very active...getting pressure and moving through the wash to make tackles at the LOS. I did see Hampton get moved back a couple of times, but he also clogged the middle very effectively last night and even was able to get those jelly rolls out of his stance quick enough to split a double team and make a play in the backfield like he used to do.

That said, I agree with your 2009 draft strategy.
    Great...you can sign both petitions:

1. Petition to Official keep DVSONE out of the GM position
    2. Petition to oust "I dont draft capable linemen" Colbert and place Benny as GM.

I mean the other thing about our DL is that the depth is horrid. I mean behind the top 3 guys...or top 1 guy and 2 mediocre guys we have NOONE. Its REALLY scary.

And the OL? Sorry, but there is not ONE of them that I would have to start my team...I will say this a great OL can make a QB and RB have great careers, even if the players are rather mediocre themselves.

Our OL? Can take great players: Ben for example---and severely shorten their careers!

Mahan is horrid, Stapleton may be CAPABLE and that's it. Essex should have been cut YEARS ago. Max Starks is BIG, SLOW, and 7 MILLION WORTH OF SUCKINESS.

So that's my analysis of the lines.