Thread: defense looks ready to go

Legend

User Info Menu

defense looks ready to go

Steelers' defense looks ready to go
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW Steelers'
    Sunday, August 24, 2008

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_584646.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84646.html[/url]

MINNEAPOLIS

What a difference a game plan makes.

As advertised, the Steelers promised to pretend that Saturday night's preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings was actually a regular-season contest.

No more plain-vanilla defense. More like tutti-frutti.

Starting with a steady diet of Aaron Smith terrorizing Minnesota's backfield.

Smith, the starting left end, looked as quick and strong as he did at any point last season before suffering a biceps injury that caused him to miss the final four games. He had three tackles and one sack in the first quarter.

Led by Smith, the Steelers limited Minnesota to 13 yards on its first eight plays.

On Minnesota's opening drive, the Steelers' different looks confused the Vikings, who were called for three false starts and were forced to punt after failing to convert on third and 23.

During that series, second-year linebacker Lawrence Timmons, becoming more and more of a fixture in the rotation, flanked out wide to his left and shadowed receiver Aundrae Allison.

The Steelers were most dangerous when they had only two defensive linemen on the field, Smith and right end Brett Keisel. The formation worked best in obvious passing situations, which was a tribute to the Steelers and their ability to stifle dangerous running back Adrian Peterson.

Peterson never got untracked. He leaped over the top of the defense for a 1-yard touchdown in the second quarter following a Rashard Mendenhall fumble at the Steelers' 47.

Faced with a short field, the Steelers couldn't shut down Minnesota's short passing game and failed to keep the Vikings out of the end zone.

Still, the Steelers provided evidence that they learned a lesson from last week's loss to Buffalo. Their defense aggressively attacked the ball but did so within the confines of the system.

When Peterson attempted to run wide left on first and goal, the Steelers remained in their lanes and strung out the play. Safety Tyrone Carter and Timmons pushed Peterson out of bounds for a 3-yard loss.

In the second quarter, cornerback Ike Taylor jumped a sideline route and intercepted Gus Frerotte's pass intended for Sidney Rice, giving the Steelers a first down deep in Minnesota territory.

The turnover gift-wrapped a Jeff Reed field goal that sliced Minnesota's lead to 7-3 while providing more than enough evidence that the regular season can't start soon enough for the Steelers' defense.

John Harris can be reached at [email="jharris@tribweb.com"]jharris@tribweb.com[/email] or 412-481-5432.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: defense looks ready to go

After watching thelast two games--Timmons will be a beast this season and Woodley might not be everything we think he is.

Timmons' speed is unbelievable. He is going to be on QBs before they know anything. It just seems that Woodley is trying to bullrush everyone. That won't work. I still think he gets 8 sacks but unless he develops a few more moves that might be it.

I could also see Timmons having 6-8 sacks from the ILB position. How sweet would that be?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    After watching thelast two games--Timmons will be a beast this season and Woodley might not be everything we think he is.

Timmons' speed is unbelievable. He is going to be on QBs before they know anything. It just seems that Woodley is trying to bullrush everyone. That won't work. I still think he gets 8 sacks but unless he develops a few more moves that might be it.

I could also see Timmons having 6-8 sacks from the ILB position. How sweet would that be?
    I think Woodley is going to be a good player just need some more time to learn what will and won't work, Timmons is a beast i expect a lot of great things from him

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

I think Woodley is going to be a good player just need some more time to learn what will and won't work, Timmons is a beast i expect a lot of great things from him

I think Woodley will get better with more consistent playing time. I don't really question his pass rushing ability, but his coverage could use some work. His pass rushing is not refined but he will definately get to the QB this year. He could still get double digits b/c he may have one of those games where he gets 3 or 4.

Timmons will be too good to keep off the field. I think he and Foote will share the position early on, but by seasons end he will be on the field all the time. The guy is lightning quick and once he gets a better feel for what teams are trying to do to him he will be another in the long line of Steelers LB's who are Pro Bowl caliber.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that from what I have seen from Woodley he will be good. However from what we are seeing I think just confirms he will be a very good 3-4 OLB but he could be a great 4-3 DE.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

This was against Minnesota's backup qb so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Larrry Foote will be attacked relentlessly by every team this year for as long as the Steelers insist on playing him. But that aside, you're talking about a major overhaul by Tomlin in replacing Porter, Haggans and Foote by Harrison, Woodley and Timmons, with Davis in the wings. Give it another year or two to overhaul the line and this has the makings of a very good defense (unlike the paper #1 rating they have now).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Timmons has shown great improvement over last year but he still has a ways to go. Just go back to the bill's game and watch the bills opening drive of the 2nd half. There were 3 straight plays in which Timmons was blown up. One where he was driven 8-10 yards back and then pancaked. Incidents like these make me pause before saying Timmons should start in place of Foote.

I think his time will come but for now they need to slowly work him into the lineup. I do have to say his athletic ability is impressive and when he makes up his mind his closing speed rivals Troy's.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelStallion
    This was against Minnesota's backup qb so I wouldn't get too excited yet.
    Larrry Foote will be attacked relentlessly by every team this year for as long as the Steelers insist on playing him. But that aside, you're talking about a major overhaul by Tomlin in replacing Porter, Haggans and Foote by Harrison, Woodley and Timmons, with Davis in the wings. Give it another year or two to overhaul the line and this has the makings of a very good defense (unlike the paper #1 rating they have now).
    furotte might be just as good as their starter. they both stink, i was just sayin thats all