Thread: Tight end Boyd will miss time

Legend

User Info Menu

Tight end Boyd will miss time

Tight end Boyd will miss time
    By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 22, 2008
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_584287.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84287.html[/url]

Quarterback isn't the only position where injuries are complicating the Steelers' impending roster reduction to 53.

Tight end Cody Boyd said Thursday that he's scheduled for arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder on Monday.

"It all depends on what the doctor finds in there," Boyd said. "He's removing one little thing. If he doesn't have to dig around too much, then, hopefully, it shouldn't be too long (until he's available to play again).

"We haven't talked about the weeks (until he can return) yet. Once he gets in there, he'll know for sure."

The Steelers have four other tight ends on the roster, incumbents Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth, rookie Dezmond Sherrod and second-year pro Lee Vickers.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and head coach Mike Tomlin have identified themselves as "three-tight end guys," as it relates to the roster and, at times, how many tight ends are in the game.

At quarterback, backup Charlie Batch is recovering from surgery to repair a fractured collarbone.

Like Boyd, Batch doesn't know what his status will be by the opening of the regular season on Sept. 7.

"I feel a little better than the X-rays show," Batch said. "As we go into next week we'll do another X-ray. We'll probably do a CAT scan to figure out how much bone density is there. And then, at that point, maybe at the end of the week possibly attempt to throw.

"It's one thing to be able to throw. But the next thing is being able to take a hit. That's something we're going to have to weigh out as we continue on through this."

The Steelers signed quarterback Byron Leftwich after Batch was injured on Aug. 8 against the Eagles and also have fifth-round pick Dennis Dixon and free-agent rookie Mike Potts on the roster at quarterback behind starter Ben Roethlisberger.

Rosters must be cut to 75 on Tuesday and to 53 on Aug. 30.

Mike Prisuta can be reached at [email="mprisuta@tribweb.com"]mprisuta@tribweb.com[/email] or 412-320-7923.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Tight end Boyd will miss time

This is disappointing because I've liked Boyd since we brought him in last year. He seemed to be doing well. Hopefully it is nothing major and they can still find a way to get him into the mix this season.

I still want to see the "redwoods red zone" with Miller (6'5"), Spaeth (6'7"), Boyd (6'8") and Sweed (6'4"). How do you possibly cover those guys?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    This is disappointing because I've liked Boyd since we brought him in last year. He seemed to be doing well. Hopefully it is nothing major and they can still find a way to get him into the mix this season.

I still want to see the "redwoods red zone" with Miller (6'5"), Spaeth (6'7"), Boyd (6'8") and Sweed (6'4"). How do you possibly cover those guys?
    With a pass rush, otherwise, you're losing height battle.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i like boyd too. he reminds me of tuman just because he is a good blocker. the steelers definetly need a te like that especially if miller or spaeth get hurt

Legend

User Info Menu

With arthroscopic surgery scheduled, he won't be ready for the final roster cutdown. They'll have to keep Sherrod or Vickers as the 3rd TE, perhaps signing Boyd to the practice squad when his shoulder improves sufficiently. If he shows he's good to go early in the season, they could possibly promote him to the active roster at that point, cutting the 3rd TE they decided to keep coming out of camp.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like Vickers will make the team, and I kind of liked him over Boyd anyway. If I remember a few years ago, he impressed in camp at DE or LB and also on special teams, so hopefully he'll be able to contribute on special teams, add some flexibility, and provide solid play from the third TE spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    With arthroscopic surgery scheduled, he won't be ready for the final roster cutdown. They'll have to keep Sherrod or Vickers as the 3rd TE, perhaps signing Boyd to the practice squad when his shoulder improves sufficiently. If he shows he's good to go early in the season, they could possibly promote him to the active roster at that point, cutting the 3rd TE they decided to keep coming out of camp.
    They could put him on PUP and activate him after the 6th game for the stretch run. If it is just a scope the recovery time should be reduced.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"