Thread: The conscience of the Steelers defense

The conscience of the Steelers defense

The conscience of the Steelers defense
    Posted August 21, 2008 8 :43 PM
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... epressbox/

James Harrison made folks forget about Joey Porter last season. The reason: he did a more than fair imitation of one of the Steelers’ best pass rushers and more intimidating players in recent memory.

Harrison, who made the Pro Bowl as a starter last season, recently showed that he has a little of the outspoken Porter in him off the field as well.

Harrison called out the first-team defense after its lackluster effort in last Thursday’s 24-21 loss to the Bills in Toronto. He didn’t back away from his criticism this week.

“We didn’t play up to snuff period,” Harrison said. “They just ran the ball up and down the field.”

The shortcomings may have had something to do with the Steelers playing basic defense because they don’t want to show anything in a meaningless game. Uh, tell that to Harrison.

“We weren’t out there with a mind of this is a game. We were out there with the mind frame of this is preseason and when the regular season rolls around everything will come to, and that just won’t happen,” Harrison said. “We’ve got to play a preseason game like it’s a regular season game.”

James Farrior, who signed a four-year extension today, is the captain of the defense. And deservedly so given the respect he commands in the Steelers’ locker room. But Farrior is quiet by nature, at least off the field, which means Harrison could step into a role that Porter also filled while he was in Pittsburgh: the conscience of a proud defense.

"We haven't really stepped up and played to the level we're capable of," said Harrison, who added that he'd like the first-team defense to play three quarters Saturday night against Minnesota.

When asked how the defense has responded to what happened in Toronto, where the Steelers made second-year Bills quarterback Trent Edwards look like a Pro Bowler, Harrison said, “Everybody seems to be stepping it up a little bit, taking things a little more serious."

That’s a good thing for the Steelers since it is becoming clear that his teammates will have to answer to Harrison if they don’t match his intensity.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: The conscience of the Steelers defense

I liked James Harrison's intensity when he was a backup and special teamer. Now that he's a starting OLB for the Steelers it's even better. One thing about Harrison you never have to worry about getting effort. If he loses the battle, he loses the battle, but, you know he won't give up. I wish he was 5 years younger.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I liked James Harrison's intensity when he was a backup and special teamer. Now that he's a starting OLB for the Steelers it's even better. One thing about Harrison you never have to worry about getting effort. If he loses the battle, he loses the battle, but, you know he won't give up. I wish he was 5 years younger.

Pappy
    i agree, i love harrison he has so much heart and will. even when he was a back up and he would fill in for porter or whoever you knew he was a good player. every time he got a chance he made the most of it. in porter's last year i was so angry harrison wasnt starting. i dont understand why harrison took so long to get to where he is as a player, but i guess every player progresses differently

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1

Pappy
    i agree, i love harrison he has so much heart and will. even when he was a back up and he would fill in for porter or whoever you knew he was a good player. every time he got a chance he made the most of it. in porter's last year i was so angry harrison wasnt starting. i dont understand why harrison took so long to get to where he is as a player, but i guess every player progresses differently
    Maybe the Steelers will be fortunate and because he took so long to mature as a football player he's a young 30 something.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1

Pappy
    Maybe the Steelers will be fortunate and because he took so long to mature as a football player he's a young 30 something.

Pappy
    thats what i am hoping for and it could be very possible. how much action did he really get before he became a starter. its funny the fans that never have anything good to say about the fo, but they forget about guys like harrison, fwp, nate and ike. nobody wanted them and look how good they have turned out. nate is ok but he came from tiffin, thats impressive.