WHISPERS BEGIN REGARDING MERRIMAN’S CONDITION
Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 12:22 p.m. EDT

In the wake of a report that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman visited with renowned orthopedist James Andrews regarding Merriman’s knee, we’re hearing that there is quiet concern within the organization that Merriman could be done, after only four NFL seasons.

Merriman had arthroscopic knee surgery during the offseason. He made the trip to Alabama to see Dr. Andrews because of persistent pain in the knee. (Curiously, there’s a conflict between the two major San Diego papers regarding the identity of the doctor who performed the procedure. The North County Times says that it was Andrews. The Union-Tribune claims that it was team physician David Chao.)

Officially, coach Norv Turner says he isn’t worried. “My concern will be if it lingers,” Turner said Wednesday. “Hopefully, it won’t linger and hopefully in the next week to 10 days, he’s going to be all right and ready to get going.”

As we hear it, there’s already concern, behind the scenes. Nothing may come of it, and Merriman might end up being fine. But the team is definitely worried about the possibility that Merriman could be done.

“He’s had some soreness,” Turner said. “I think he wants to make sure he gets it checked out and make sure everything is all right with it. When he’s been able to practice and move around, he’s looked awfully good to me.”

There’s no denying that Merriman is awfully good. But, like most athletes, it’s hard to do much of anything with a bum knee.

I dont wish injury on anyone but can you say "karma".