Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gene Upshaw - dead at 63

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Gene Upshaw - dead at 63

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsteel
    I was ignorant of his condition and wondered why he had lost so much weight and aged.

I beleive there were considerations for his predecessor last year due to the disease.

May he rest in peace. He did much for the players against a very unified Owners Group. He worked very well with Paul Tagliabu.
    He was only diagnosed only a week ago. Not many outside of his family even knew he was diagnosed with cancer until today. Pancreatic cancer is awful, but you'd think he would have more than a week. Truly sad.

Pro Bowler

Re: Gene Upshaw - dead at 63

So sudden...I sympathize for his family. I can't help but wonder what Bryant Gumble will say about him now.

My feeling about him was that because he had his critics both from the players & the owners, that he must've been doing his job pretty well...except where the old-timers were concerned. His attitude about that issue always confused me...

I know it'd rose-colored glasses right now, but a fight is looming - the players are restless over the ending of the salary-cap & a rookie wage-scale seems imminent. And this is the direct result of the last agreement Gene & Tags worked out before Tags retired. There's more to that than you think, as Tags didn't get any consideration for the HOF this year & they basically had ignored Gene to this point.

It sure will be interesting from here on out.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...