Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gene Upshaw - dead at 63

Legend

Gene Upshaw - dead at 63

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/origi ... 6564.shtml

Gene Upshaw Dead: Hall of Famer, NFLPA Exec Dies From Cancer At 63
    by Mike Baron

Gene Upshaw's death has been confirmed. Gene Upshaw, the longtime NFLPA executive director and a Hall of Fame NFL football player,
    has died of complications from Pancreatic Cancer.

Upshaw, a former 11-time All-Pro offensive lineman, had been fighting the disease and has now succumbed to it, according to recent reports.

Gene Upshaw, 63, was the longest-tenured labor leader in sports. He played with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders from 1967 until 1981. He was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and an 11-time All-Pro.

Hall of Famer

Re: Gene Upshaw - dead at 63

wow thats really sad. i actually grew up with his nephew and his father willie played for the blue jays and indians and was a pretty good ball player. the upshaws are really a great family.

Hall of Famer

That is really a shame.

I have a sinking feeling that someday (maybe not too far off) folks will look back on the Taglibue/Upshaw era as the Golden Age of the NFL.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Backup

Who saw this coming?! Apparently it was a recent diagnosis of like a week or something,
    That sucks!!! Prayers to the Upshaw family big time!

Pancreatic cancer is virtually a death sentence. It's one of the real bad ones...with alot of associated pain. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. R.I.P.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Some members of the NFLPA painted him in a bit of a bad light recently (the Matt Stover e-mail about needed to find a successor as exhibit A), but he did do an awful lot for the players during his tenure as head of the player's association. I would not be surprised to see players wearing a 63 on their helmets this season (his old number with the Raiders).

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Pancreatic cancer is virtually a death sentence. It's one of the real bad ones...with alot of associated pain. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. R.I.P.

yeah, apparently he was just diagnosed this past sunday-

unbelievable... thats not even enough time to get your house in order.

his family must be stunned and devastated.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    That is really a shame.

I have a sinking feeling that someday (maybe not too far off) folks will look back on the Taglibue/Upshaw era as the Golden Age of the NFL.
    If not the "golden age", at least it's inception... Upshaw was part of every CBA the players' union ever had, in one way or another. Many thought he was too friendly with management, which wasn't the case. But there is nothing wrong with him caring for people the way he did... He was at Art Sr.s' funeral (Art was the first owner to publically acknowledge the union), and also at Arts' wifes' funeral the year before... The "golden age" of the NFL was more about "people" in many different ways... I don't think that is anywhere near the case now... I only hope that his replacement follows similar protocols so as to preserve what we all have grown to love.

Chemsteel

I was ignorant of his condition and wondered why he had lost so much weight and aged.

I beleive there were considerations for his predecessor last year due to the disease.

May he rest in peace. He did much for the players against a very unified Owners Group. He worked very well with Paul Tagliabu.

Sad day for the NFL. Bless him and his family.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...