Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie receiver Sweed tries too hard to please

Rookie receiver Sweed tries too hard to please

Rookie receiver Sweed tries too hard to please
    Thursday, August 21, 2008
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08234/90 ... eelers.xml

There is little reason to be exuberant, even wildly optimistic, that rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed leads the Steelers with five receptions after two preseason games. Not yet, anyway. It means about as much as tight end Heath Miller not having a catch after two games.

What is more significant about Sweed, a No. 2 draft choice from Texas, is that he already has dropped a couple passes and is averaging a mere 6.4 yards per catch -- numbers that pale to the gaudy statistics he compiled in college.

It is significant because everybody thinks the 6-foot-4, 220-pound receiver is trying too hard to make an impression. His teammates think that, the coaches think that, even Sweed thinks that.

"He's trying to do the 'wow' every play," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "Just give me 6 yards and catch it. Make the plays that are there, not the wow-play every time."

"I think he's pressing so hard to impress everybody," said receiver Hines Ward. "When you start pressing, you start making more mistakes, the mistakes that are routine. Then they end up becoming a problem."

"I wouldn't say impress everybody," Sweed said. "I'm not in the business of impressing people. I'm just a person who's going to keep striving till I get it right. I'm going to be extra hard on myself."

Sweed certainly has the size, speed and ability to be impressive. After all, he caught 20 career touchdowns with the Longhorns, second most in school history behind Roy Williams. That's one of the reasons the Steelers couldn't pass him up with the 53rd overall pick in the NFL draft, even though wide receiver wasn't a position of need.

But his teammates believe he is trying too hard because he wants to make an immediate impact, something Ward, an 11-year veteran and a four-time Pro Bowler, said is difficult to do anymore in the NFL.

"The Randy Moss days are over," Ward said. "No one is coming in and scoring 18 touchdowns. We don't have the offense to do that, anyway. A lot of guys in college, they haven't seen the complex coverages they see in this league.

"You can be a great talent in college, but this game is a whole different aspect. There are linebackers covering you, defensive ends dropping out, safeties constantly rolling. You got to have that intelligence to be able to learn and do less thinking as you're route-running."

Sweed, of course, doesn't have to be an immediate contributor, nor is he expected to be right away. He will begin the season as the No. 4 receiver, behind Ward, Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington.

But he will be the backup to Holmes at split end -- or X receiver -- a big-play position that features more deep routes. Sweed did not finish practice yesterday because of a problem with his knee, but coach Mike Tomlin said he is fine and will practice today.

"He has a lot of pride and he puts too much pressure on himself," Arians said. "If he learns to relax and just play ... he knows the play, but he talks himself out of it, so there's always doubt. When he knows it, he plays real fast and you see the skill. When he's not sure, he looks like a rookie."

That's why Holmes, who was a No. 1 pick, is trying not to overload Sweed with even more advice.

Holmes was the first receiver drafted in 2006 and got off to a modest start as a rookie, catching 16 passes for 265 yards with no touchdowns in his first seven games. Since then, he has 85 catches, 10 touchdowns and averages 17.7 yards per catch in 25 games.

"I try to stay away from prepping him so much," Holmes said. "You got to learn a lot on the fly. The more things he goes through, the more he's starting to open up now and come talk to me about different things he's seeing and how he's adjusting."

Ward said Sweed is his own worst critic. The best one-word advice he can offer: Relax.

"He gets so down that he ends up frustrating himself," Ward said. "It's understandable. We've all been through it."
    First published on August 21, 2008 at 12:00 am

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

Re: Rookie receiver Sweed tries too hard to please

im not worried at all about sweed. i really think he is going to be a very good wr. he will be a great weapon to have in the red zone this year

Every WR takes time...big WRs take extra time. No worries.

Its presesason. He'll be fine and we have a diamond in the rough.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    he better not take as long as plax did to become a good wr

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    I think we have some time to be patient. I think Ward has 3 more good seasons. We can afford to bring him along slowly.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    I think we have some time to be patient. I think Ward has 3 more good seasons. We can afford to bring him along slowly.
    i agree, sweed has time im not worried at all. he has a much better attitude than plax did

I do think however that Sweed is going to take a little longer than most of us suspected to win the #3 spot and to contribute.

He looks a lot thinner against NFL players than he did in college. I expected it but I guess I didn't think he had as much work to do in the weight room as he does. He also doesn't look very "Athletic".

Don't get me wrong, I know he's feeling very uncomfortable right now and he's thinking instead of playing but there were a lot of people (myself included) that thought he was going to come into camp and walk out of it as the unquestioned #3.

Of course, we as fans almost always overate and expect way to much out of our players especially rookies. I want Sweed to learn the offense, play a role in the redzone and win the #3 next year outright. Which he should do by default now that I think about it, Washington won't be with the team next year, he'll go somewhere that he can be a #2/3 receiver.

i hope y'all are right... I'M worried...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    I do think however that Sweed is going to take a little longer than most of us suspected to win the #3 spot and to contribute.

He looks a lot thinner against NFL players than he did in college. I expected it but I guess I didn't think he had as much work to do in the weight room as he does. He also doesn't look very "Athletic".

Don't get me wrong, I know he's feeling very uncomfortable right now and he's thinking instead of playing but there were a lot of people (myself included) that thought he was going to come into camp and walk out of it as the unquestioned #3.

Of course, we as fans almost always overate and expect way to much out of our players especially rookies. I want Sweed to learn the offense, play a role in the redzone and win the #3 next year outright. Which he should do by default now that I think about it, Washington won't be with the team next year, he'll go somewhere that he can be a #2/3 receiver.
    I honestly do not believe Sweed will win the #3 this season. He has alot of growing to do. With that said, the sky is the limit with this guy...he just needs to get some experience. But, if people believe he will contribute more than 20 catches this season they might be highly disappointed.