Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers, Farrior negotiating

Backup

Re: Steelers, Farrior negotiating

I'm happy to see this. James Farrior is the brains of the D as well as the quiet leader. The man keeps himself in excellent shape, has great experience in the big games and takes it to another level when called upon. Who better to help bring along our younger LB corps.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    i know one really smart poster said he'd give him a 3 year extension this offseason for under market value...

I personally think Farrior re-signs for less than market value. After this year, I think he'd be good enough to give us one more season or two (maybe one as a starter and one as a backup).

He has already stated he would be willing to do so because he wants to be a Steeler. Here's how *I* would accomplish it(stop shaking your head and read the whole story before you make up your mind).

I would talk to him TODAY and offer him an extension totalling 3 years (including this year) worth say $10 mil (with a $3mil SB). He's finishing a 5 year, $16 mil contract, so average per year is about the same (in fact, it's a small increase from $3.28 million annual average to $3.33).

What it DOES do is this - it gives him $5 mil this year ($3 in bonus, $2+ in salary), so he'd be happy because he's only scheduled to make $3.2 (he has already collected his SB). It would LOWER his cap figure for this season from about $4.5 million to about $3 million.

If by chance he stinks it up, after this year, he's only a $1 million cap hit to drop if spread over the remaining 2 seasons (or $2 mil if before June 1, 2009).

Now... does he take it? I dunno. But, over the last 5 years, he made $16.4 million (average over $3 mil per year) - if he's sincere about being willing to take a pay cut, this should be a slam dunk.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewt ... or#1971655
    How very "43" or SFL of you...

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by motter1975
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Also is it just me or does anyone else think Farrior would look great in orange and black?
    NO ONE would look great in orange and black. That is not a knock on your organization. Just the fact that you have the ugliest uniforms in sports, even worse that your fellow Ohio brethren whose primary jersey color could only be described as "doody" (to be worse than that is really saying something)
    Hate to disagree with you, but I've always kinda liked the Bengals colors But that may have had something to do with growing up in Bethel Park (we have the same black and orange). And I definitely think the Bengals uniforms are better than the Browns (insert gagging smiley here)

Personally, I think the Dolphins have the worst colors...Teal? On a football team...seems a little girly to me...and I'm a GIRL!
    teel is bad but do you think its worse than purple? i've always thought the vikes uniforms were one of the worst. i've always kinda liked the bengals uniforms too, my highschool team was red and black so its close. im mildly color blind too so orange and red look kind of similar to me

motter1975

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Also is it just me or does anyone else think Farrior would look great in orange and black?
    NO ONE would look great in orange and black. That is not a knock on your organization. Just the fact that you have the ugliest uniforms in sports, even worse that your fellow Ohio brethren whose primary jersey color could only be described as "doody" (to be worse than that is really saying something)
    Hate to disagree with you, but I've always kinda liked the Bengals colors But that may have had something to do with growing up in Bethel Park (we have the same black and orange). And I definitely think the Bengals uniforms are better than the Browns (insert gagging smiley here)

Personally, I think the Dolphins have the worst colors...Teal? On a football team...seems a little girly to me...and I'm a GIRL!
    teel is bad but do you think its worse than purple? i've always thought the vikes uniforms were one of the worst. i've always kinda liked the bengals uniforms too, my highschool team was red and black so its close. im mildly color blind too so orange and red look kind of similar to me
    It's a toss up, 'cause they're both pretty girly...but somehow the teal, orange and white of the dolphins seems the worst to me.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1

It's a toss up, 'cause they're both pretty girly...but somehow the teal, orange and white of the dolphins seems the worst to me.
    yea it is ugly. if you dont like their uniforms dont ever go to pro player stadium. all of the seats are bright orange. its awful, sometimes if there were a lot of empty seats it would actually hurt my eyes

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84190.html

I guess I'm less enthused than some of you. He's already past his prime and a five year extension seems excessive on a defense that needs a youth movement.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    This is great news. Farrior is probably the best free agency signing by the Steelers ever. Was Kevin Greene a FA?

This works for the team whether we stay 3-4 or go 4-3. In the 4-3:

DL: Woodley-Smith-someone not named Casey-Davis
    LB: Timmons-Farrior-Harrison
    I would say Farrior. Greene was a FA but he didn't play for the Steelers that long.

He meets two of our top 3 criteria to be signed as a FA. He's talented and he's up there in years, now only if he had a lingering injury problem then he would fit our mold perfectly...
    Farrior went to UVa which is known for their high academic standards. Only someone with an IQ leass than 60 would actually want to play for the Bumgals. If not for the draft and the fact that players are indentured to a team how many players would really ever want to play for the Bumgals. As you can tell by their free agent signing no one with other options.

The Bumgals are probably the least desireable team in the entire NFL from a players perspective:

1. Crappy city
    2. Crappy franchise with no ethics and a complete lack of management skill
    3. No tradition or history to be proud of
    4. Fair weather fans who will sell their tickets to opposing fans in a heartbeat (why else does management publicly beg them not to)
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler