Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers, Farrior negotiating

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers, Farrior negotiating

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    this is great news!! farrior is so important to the defense and it would be hard to replace him. i havent seen bruce davis do anything at all so far in preseason so i have no confidence in him. i've always thought farrior was a little under rated and i agree with the philosophy of not re-signing old players, but farrior is an exception. his play hasnt declined all that much at all
    I hear ya...I really do. *key the music from boys 2 men* It's so hard to say goodbye...especially to Farrior. The guy is sooo underrated. With that said, he is 33 y/o. His time as a Steeler is winding down. Unless he is the Warren Moon of LBrs we will need to replace him. And no we haven't seen alot of Davis...and yes he is unproven. But, he is the Steelers best move towards a youth movement.
    can james harrison take farrior's spot? its a huge difference in position, a lot more responsability. no way in he$$ is foote going to be playing next to timmons in the future. foote is ok, i dont think he is as bad as a lot of people think but he definetly cant play farrior's position

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    This is great news. Farrior is probably the best free agency signing by the Steelers ever. Was Kevin Greene a FA?

This works for the team whether we stay 3-4 or go 4-3. In the 4-3:

DL: Woodley-Smith-someone not named Casey-Davis
    LB: Timmons-Farrior-Harrison

this is great news!! farrior is so important to the defense and it would be hard to replace him. i havent seen bruce davis do anything at all so far in preseason so i have no confidence in him. i've always thought farrior was a little under rated and i agree with the philosophy of not re-signing old players, but farrior is an exception. his play hasnt declined all that much at all
    I hear ya...I really do. *key the music from boys 2 men* It's so hard to say goodbye...especially to Farrior. The guy is sooo underrated. With that said, he is 33 y/o. His time as a Steeler is winding down. Unless he is the Warren Moon of LBrs we will need to replace him. And no we haven't seen alot of Davis...and yes he is unproven. But, he is the Steelers best move towards a youth movement.
    can james harrison take farrior's spot? its a huge difference in position, a lot more responsability. no way in he$$ is foote going to be playing next to timmons in the future. foote is ok, i dont think he is as bad as a lot of people think but he definetly cant play farrior's position
    No Harrison can't take Farriors spot. Farrior has alot of coverage responsibly. Harrison would not be best suited for that position. That's why Timmons belongs there. Harrison would best suited at Footes position. Timmons would actually be a better LBr playing in Farriors spot. The move would be a more natural position for Timmons.

Hall of Famer

No Harrison can't take Farriors spot. Farrior has alot of coverage responsibly. Harrison would not be best suited for that position. That's why Timmons belongs there. Harrison would best suited at Footes position. Timmons would actually be a better LBr playing in Farriors spot. The move would be a more natural position for Timmons.
    thats what i was thinking. i didnt think harrison could take over as far as the coverage goes. timmons is just a raw talent though. its taken this long just to learn how to play foote's position, but i guess he would be fine since next season would be his third

I like Farrior, so I'm happy with it as long as it's a fair contract, I wouldn't want to give him a huge contract due to his age.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    This is great news. Farrior is probably the best free agency signing by the Steelers ever. Was Kevin Greene a FA?

This works for the team whether we stay 3-4 or go 4-3. In the 4-3:

DL: Woodley-Smith-someone not named Casey-Davis
    LB: Timmons-Farrior-Harrison
    I would say Farrior. Greene was a FA but he didn't play for the Steelers that long.

Also is it just me or does anyone else think Farrior would look great in orange and black?

He meets two of our top 3 criteria to be signed as a FA. He's talented and he's up there in years, now only if he had a lingering injury problem then he would fit our mold perfectly...

i know one really smart poster said he'd give him a 3 year extension this offseason for under market value...

I personally think Farrior re-signs for less than market value. After this year, I think he'd be good enough to give us one more season or two (maybe one as a starter and one as a backup).

He has already stated he would be willing to do so because he wants to be a Steeler. Here's how *I* would accomplish it(stop shaking your head and read the whole story before you make up your mind).

I would talk to him TODAY and offer him an extension totalling 3 years (including this year) worth say $10 mil (with a $3mil SB). He's finishing a 5 year, $16 mil contract, so average per year is about the same (in fact, it's a small increase from $3.28 million annual average to $3.33).

What it DOES do is this - it gives him $5 mil this year ($3 in bonus, $2+ in salary), so he'd be happy because he's only scheduled to make $3.2 (he has already collected his SB). It would LOWER his cap figure for this season from about $4.5 million to about $3 million.

If by chance he stinks it up, after this year, he's only a $1 million cap hit to drop if spread over the remaining 2 seasons (or $2 mil if before June 1, 2009).

Now... does he take it? I dunno. But, over the last 5 years, he made $16.4 million (average over $3 mil per year) - if he's sincere about being willing to take a pay cut, this should be a slam dunk.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewt ... or#1971655
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Also is it just me or does anyone else think Farrior would look great in orange and black?
    NO ONE would look great in orange and black. That is not a knock on your organization. Just the fact that you have the ugliest uniforms in sports, even worse that your fellow Ohio brethren whose primary jersey color could only be described as "doody" (to be worse than that is really saying something)

motter1975

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    NO ONE would look great in orange and black. That is not a knock on your organization. Just the fact that you have the ugliest uniforms in sports, even worse that your fellow Ohio brethren whose primary jersey color could only be described as "doody" (to be worse than that is really saying something)
    Hate to disagree with you, but I've always kinda liked the Bengals colors But that may have had something to do with growing up in Bethel Park (we have the same black and orange). And I definitely think the Bengals uniforms are better than the Browns (insert gagging smiley here)

Personally, I think the Dolphins have the worst colors...Teal? On a football team...seems a little girly to me...and I'm a GIRL!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by motter1975
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Hate to disagree with you, but I've always kinda liked the Bengals colors But that may have had something to do with growing up in Bethel Park (we have the same black and orange). And I definitely think the Bengals uniforms are better than the Browns (insert gagging smiley here)

Personally, I think the Dolphins have the worst colors...Teal? On a football team...seems a little girly to me...and I'm a GIRL!
    The colors themselves aren't bad (if you like Halloween) and if had to choose, orange and black is certainly a better color scheme than orange and diarrhea, but the Bengals' uniform as a whole looks like a rejected Arena League design. I wouldn't be surprised if the utterly incompetant Mike Brown designed it.