Thread: Crystal Ball 2009

Starter

Crystal Ball 2009

With all of the needs the steelers will have for the 2009 season, how are they going to affectively fill them??

I was on the live site- and reading a similar thread related to this idea... and wanted to see what some of the better football minds had to say on the topic...

here is a list of the 2009 Steeler FAs

QB Charlie Batch
    OT Marvell Smith
    LB Clint Kriewald
    LB James FARRIOR *
    DB Bryant McFadden

not on the list - but i am sure he is a ufa in 2009

OT Max Starks

Restricted

FB Carey Davis
    OL Willie Colon
    DE Ryan McBean
    FS Anthony Madison
    FS Anthony Smith
    OL Jason Capizzi
    OT Jeremy Parquel
    TE Jon Dekker
    WR Willie Reid

Combine these lists with the obvious needs; and you come up with a pretty daunting task for filling the roster with a 7 round draft, for 2009

NEEDS: (not in order of importance)
    OT starting and depth at both L&R
    C starting
    ILB starting Buck position
    DT depth- possibly starting-depending upon casey's performance
    DE depth- possibly starting
    CB depth- possibly starting
    FS depth

Ok- so there you have it

i'd say of those 8 needs- at least 3 are imperative.

so, how does the team resolve this, with the current roster, the upcoming draft, and the 'steeler way' attitude towards free agency??

I'll post my solution later- as i have to get back to pretending to work

Re: Crystal Ball 2009

Let me take a stab at this ANP.

here is a list of the 2009 Steeler FAs

QB Charlie Batch-Dixon after this season will be the man
    OT Marvell Smith-very tough question...but I believe the Steelers drafted Hill as the future. May heaven help us.
    LB Clint Kriewald-seriously? Isn't he gone?
    LB James FARRIOR *-well I think Farrior will sign a reasonable contract to stay...but if not I think Timmons slides over to Farriors position and Foote starts.
    DB Bryant McFadden-He won't start this season...he signs a reasonable contract.

not on the list - but i am sure he is a ufa in 2009

OT Max Starks-Bye

Restricted

FB Carey Davis-Dime a dozen
    OL Willie Colon-he definately gets signed
    DE Ryan McBean-depends on this seasons performance
    FS Anthony Madison-Bye
    FS Anthony Smith-depends if he can grow up
    OL Jason Capizzi-bye...isnt he already gone?
    OT Jeremy Parquel-who?
    TE Jon Dekker-
    WR Willie Reid-bye...won't even make this squad.

The only places we are in trouble is DL and OL. We will have to address both...hard and heavy in the next draft. FA will have to provide depth.

Pro Bowler

The list is missing Nate Washington......just thought I would throw that out there!

I will give this one a shot though!

As far as the OL
    Marvel: if he proves he is healthy and the ownership gets squared away I think the team will try to resign him, maybe 3-4 yr deal.
    Kemo: if performance meets expectations, I think he gets a nice pay raise as well
    W Colon: he is restricted and I think that if he plays well this year which I think that he will, he will get an extension too!
    Essex: not sure what to think about this guy? He has performed well, especially last year, when given the opp to be on the field, but I think that he may look to other places for a chance to start.
    Max: goodbye, should have been gone this year

As far as DL
    I think the team needs to seriously look into free agency and the draft to rebuild the defensive front. I know the team doesn't typically sign others free agents but I think that this needs to be reconsidered with the DL b/c I don't see Lawrence Jackson slipping to them in the draft. Not sure what FA's will be available if any of substance, but the team needs to look into this area.

Secondary:
    BMac: needs to be resigned but not sure if he will want to stay! I would like to see a middle of the road deal with him getting a chance to start next year, but we will have to wait and see!

I would've liked to have gotten Mike Jenkins in this years draft but Mendy was there (which was the right choice) so I would like to see a first day pick devoted to this position next year.

I believe the depth at the safety position will be fine. The Steelers typically resign their own RFA's so Anthony Smith will be here next year, as well as Mundy and Gay!

All in all the team is pretty set at most spots moving forward. I think the biggest problem facing the team is the DL. The team needs to find a way to resolve this quickly or it could mean a couple of long years on D.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    As far as DL
    I think the team needs to seriously look into free agency and the draft to rebuild the defensive front. I know the team doesn't typically sign others free agents but I think that this needs to be reconsidered with the DL b/c I don't see Lawrence Jackson slipping to them in the draft. Not sure what FA's will be available if any of substance, but the team needs to look into this area.
    Lawrence Jackson did slip to us in the draft, but we took Mendenhall instead. The USC d-lineman was taken a few spots later in the first round, by Seattle.

I think you are instead referring to LSU d-lineman Tyson Jackson. At 6'5" and 292 lbs., he has prototype 3-4 DE size, and a quick first step to boot. He wasn't as good last season as he was as a sophomore, though. Now that Glenn Dorsey has moved on to the NFL, we'll see how he does as the main man on their DL before we determine where he may fall in the '09 draft.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    ...I think you are instead referring to LSU d-lineman Tyson Jackson. At 6'5" and 292 lbs., he has prototype 3-4 DE size, and a quick first step to boot.
    I like your thinking Ruthless...but don't forget about guys like Fili Moala or Dorell Scott either.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    As far as DL
    Lawrence Jackson did slip to us in the draft, but we took Mendenhall instead. The USC d-lineman was taken a few spots later in the first round, by Seattle.

I think you are instead referring to LSU d-lineman Tyson Jackson. At 6'5" and 292 lbs., he has prototype 3-4 DE size, and a quick first step to boot. He wasn't as good last season as he was as a sophomore, though. Now that Glenn Dorsey has moved on to the NFL, we'll see how he does as the main man on their DL before we determine where he may fall in the '09 draft.
    You're right I did mean Tyson Jackson, my bad!! You're right it is never good to rate players prior to the season as far as the draft goes, but with this guys talent and size I don't see him slipping to the late first round. The NFL is always infatuated with guys like this.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>