Thread: Roy Lewis makes the most out of unexpected opportunity

Legend

User Info Menu

Roy Lewis makes the most out of unexpected opportunity

Anyone who pushes Tyrone Carter off the roster has my vote.

"When Roy Lewis signed with the Steelers in the spring, smart money had the undrafted cornerback lucky to last much past the first cuts. But Lewis made his own luck when preparation met opportunity in Latrobe.

In most cases, NFL coaches handle rookies with kid gloves when it comes to asking them to learn more than one position.
    But there are times when necessity forces the team’s hand.

Such was the case with Steelers’ rookie Roy Lewis.

With safeties Troy Polamalu and Anthony Smith not practicing early in training camp, the Steelers were forced to move somebody to the position. They didn’t want to take one of their veteran cornerbacks and move him to the spot, though William Gay and Deshea Townsend each played free safety in the past.

Instead, they asked Roy Lewis to make the shift.

It was an eye-opening move for both the Steelers and Lewis.

“He took advantage of an opportunity that wasn’t expected by me or by him,” head coach Mike Tomlin said of the 5-10, 190-pound Lewis.

“That’s always a good sign.”

Lewis is positioning himself to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. Tomlin, like most coaches, values players who can play more than one position because of the flexibility it gives the Steelers.

Lewis didn’t lobby to move to safety, but he’s embraced it.

“They just said, ‘Hey, Roy, we want you to start taking some snaps at safety and learn some safety,’ ” Lewis said. “I started studying my playbook and started learning all the DB positions – whether it’s nickel, dime or safety – so that if I was thrown into those positions, I would know what to do. It’s helped me understand the whole concept of the defense.”

Lewis has done so despite not being able to practice with the team throughout much of the offseason.

NCAA rules prohibit players whose class has not graduated from attending offseason workouts other than mini-camp. Washington, where Lewis was a three-year starter, is a quarter school, meaning its graduation date is later than many universities.

So while the Steelers were holding offseason workouts this spring, Lewis was still attending classes.

“I still had an opportunity to study my playbook,” Lewis said. “While they were here grinding and working, I was just back at school doing double-duty, going to class and working out and studying my book so I would be caught up. I didn’t know exactly what I was missing, so in order to prepare for everything, I made sure I was well-rounded in everything I was doing.”

That’s paying off now.

“More than anything, what he’s done is cast a bigger net,” said Tomlin. “He’s shown that he’s capable of doing multiple things and bettering his chances of being a part of this thing. He’s very deliberate for a guy who’s moving from corner to safety. He didn’t shy away from any contact.”

Dale Lolley appears courtesy of the Observer-Reporter"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Roy Lewis makes the most out of unexpected opportunity

I know that there have been times were we have kept 10 DB's in the past, but a guy like this could reduce that number to 9 due to his versatility, opening up a roster spot for a player at another position. I would be comfortable with Ike, Deshea, McFadden, & Gay at CB, and Troy, Clark, A. Smith, and Mundy (provided he gets healthy before we need to make these roster cutdowns) at S, with Roy being the 9th guy that could fit in whereever he would be needed in the secondary. I also think Travis Williams is worthy of a practice squad spot. I don't think you lose much by letting Carter, Madison, and Mason go.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lolley also picked Lewis to make the final 53 in his predicted roster a few days ago.

Sounds encouraging, and it would be great to have a young guy in the secondary able to provide quality depth at two positions. The Steelers have a pretty good history with UDFAs, so hopefully Lewis continues the tradition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Good article. I'm very happy to hear that Lewis is poised to make this team. Carter needs to find a new home...quickly. I'm also hoping Travis Williams makes it to the PS at the very least. He seems to be working hard and is around the ball alot on STs.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hopefully, Roy Lewis is Bryant McFadden's replacement in 2009. I have a feeling BMac is going to sign a large FA contract elsewhere after 08.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Hopefully, Roy Lewis is Bryant McFadden's replacement in 2009. I have a feeling BMac is going to sign a large FA contract elsewhere after 08.
    And I agree with Douchette on this one. BMac will not start this season to keep his price down. He signs a reasonable contract with the Steelers and becomes our next great DB. As long as Townsend holds up...this could be a very good move.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He has flown under my radar until now.

Does anyone know much about him or seen him play in college at Washington? He is listed at 5 10 and 190 lbs..

Wasn't invited to the combine.

I haven't seen a 40 time, so my guess is that he is slow.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why do you think BMac would get a large FA contract? He hasn't really proven to be anything other than a backup. He may have "potential" but he sure has a lot to prove before I'd give him a lot of money.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Why do you think BMac would get a large FA contract? He hasn't really proven to be anything other than a backup. He may have "potential" but he sure has a lot to prove before I'd give him a lot of money.
    His agent is drew rosenhaus. He is only 26. He has been nicked up the last few yrs which has kept him from starting. He is 6 feet 200 lbs. Corners get a ridiculous amount of cash on the open market, see Nate clements, Anthony henry, etc
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Rookie

User Info Menu

His agent is drew rosenhaus. He is only 26. He has been nicked up the last few yrs which has kept him from starting. He is 6 feet 200 lbs. Corners get a ridiculous amount of cash on the open market, see Nate clements, Anthony henry, etc
    The difference is, both Nate Clements and Anthony Henry did something in an actual game...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.