Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holmes to take shot on returns

Legend

Re: Holmes to take shot on returns

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Points of reference:

Lynn Swann: 41 punts returns as a rookie, 7 the next year when he became a full time starter

Louis Lipps: 53 punts returns as a rookie, 36 the next year and 3 the third year.

Deduction: When a WR becomes your "go to" guy you don't risk him returning punts.

This will prove to be a really bad move if Holmes is out there on a regular basis just to increase the return average by about 3 yards.
    I don't think Chuck Noll's philosophy is law. If Holmes provides a significant increase in our abilities at PR...he must be our guy. I think Tomlin will agree.
    To average 2-3 more yards at most. I hope not. Have Ben throw the ball to Spaeth and have him just fall forward and you have gained those same 2-3 yards. That kind of shows you how meaningless it would be.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Points of reference:

Lynn Swann: 41 punts returns as a rookie, 7 the next year when he became a full time starter

Louis Lipps: 53 punts returns as a rookie, 36 the next year and 3 the third year.

Deduction: When a WR becomes your "go to" guy you don't risk him returning punts.

This will prove to be a really bad move if Holmes is out there on a regular basis just to increase the return average by about 3 yards.
    I don't think Chuck Noll's philosophy is law. If Holmes provides a significant increase in our abilities at PR...he must be our guy. I think Tomlin will agree.
    To average 2-3 more yards at most. I hope not. Have Ben throw the ball to Spaeth and have him just fall forward and you have gained those same 2-3 yards. That kind of shows you how meaningless it would be.
    I don't know what to say if you believe PR isn't an important part of the game. Tell that to Cribbs and Hester.

Legend

To risk him in this regard is sheer lunacy. I'm a Tomlin supporter for the most part, but I disagree with this 1000x over.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Points of reference:

This.
    ...is this. This isn't something else. This is this.

I'm sure Tomlin will lose sleep with this new revelation.

Hall of Famer

Points of reference:

I don't know what to say if you believe PR isn't an important part of the game. Tell that to Cribbs and Hester.
    holmes isnt cribbs or hester as a return man though

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Points of reference:

holmes isnt cribbs or hester as a return man though
    How do we know that? Because he fumbled a couple punts as a rookie? The guy is explosive...and I want to see if he has what it takes to become an elite PR guy. If not...I agree with you guys...use someone else. But, if he is indeed elite...it would be sheer lunacy not to use him out of fear of injury.

Legend

It is more sheerer lunacy to lose him as a wide reciever where is averaged 18.2 Yards per catch last year so he can average at best 8 yards per punt return. He will have a much bigger impact as a receiver than returner.

Who do you think is more important to the Stains, Braylon Edwards or Joshua Cribbs? What do the following NFL greats have in common: Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Art Monk, John Stallworth? They didn't return punts for the vast majority of their career. The punt return in a way overrated part of the game. I'd rather just fair catch the ball and turn it over to our potent offense with a healthy Santonio at WR. He will score more TDs as a receiver than returning punts.

Let the "freakishly athletic" Nate Washington return punts.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

It is more sheerer lunacy to lose him as a wide reciever where is averaged 18.2 Yards per catch last year so he can average at best 8 yards per punt return. He will have a much bigger impact as a receiver than returner.

Who do you think is more important to the Stains, Braylon Edwards or Joshua Cribbs? What do the following NFL greats have in common: Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Art Monk, John Stallworth? They didn't return punts for the vast majority of their career. The punt return in a way overrated part of the game. I'd rather just fair catch the ball and turn it over to our potent offense with a healthy Santonio at WR. He will score more TDs as a receiver than returning punts.

Let the "freakishly athletic" Nate Washington return punts.
    And it's the sheeristiest lunacy not to use an elite PR guy because we are afraid of some possible injury. Why do you assume he will get hurt returning punts? I have never seen evidence that states returning punts is anymore dangerous than running a route across the middle of the field. Personally, I would rather Holmes to return a punt...with his eyes ahead...than to make a leaping catch across the middle of field with a guy like Ed Reed waiting to take his head off. Should we also keep Holmes from running dangerous routes? Maybe we should sit him on the bench...unless we really really need him. I mean where do you draw the line and what evidence do you have for drawing that line where you draw it? I say let the playmakers make plays. I think Tomlin will agree and Holmes will prove to be an awesome option at PR.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I like the idea and looking forward to see what he can do. It's football, put your best players out there and play football. Injuries are going to happen and you have to have contingency ready to go regardless.
    I agree. I don't think he's competing for the full time PR position. I think they want to use him like Ed Reed or Steve Smith, as a situational returner. He was pretty lights out as a PR for OSU if I remember correctly. He's already taken one to the house in an NFL game, I say we see what he can do.

Besides, I'm not 100% sure I buy into the whole "Special Teams is an injury risk" thing. I don't see how its anymore of a risk than playing in any other play.

-Russ
    agreed... of course, this is assuming he's significantly better than the other guys.

if it's a wash, i don't play him on ST. unless the other guy only returns and it allows me to cut him.
    Bingo, this is only applicable if he's a threat to take it to the house every time....ala Reed or Smith.

But we won't know if he is or not, if we don't let him try...