Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holmes to take shot on returns

Pro Bowler

Re: Holmes to take shot on returns

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I like the idea and looking forward to see what he can do. It's football, put your best players out there and play football. Injuries are going to happen and you have to have contingency ready to go regardless.
    I agree. I don't think he's competing for the full time PR position. I think they want to use him like Ed Reed or Steve Smith, as a situational returner. He was pretty lights out as a PR for OSU if I remember correctly. He's already taken one to the house in an NFL game, I say we see what he can do.

Besides, I'm not 100% sure I buy into the whole "Special Teams is an injury risk" thing. I don't see how its anymore of a risk than playing in any other play.

-Russ

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    what a stupid idea. he had issues before holding on to the ball on punt returns, now he is exited and a little nervous? great
    Lets be fair...Holmes has the best hands on this team. Yep, IMO he has better hands than Ward. He was a nervous rookie...I say give the guy another shot. Lets not forget how unbelieveably explosive Holmes is...I mean the guy is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball. I think this could be a very good move.

I have to disagree with the general opinion here. There have been many number one WRs and DBs that have been terrific punt returners. IMO, you put your playmakers in position to make plays. You can't place Holmes in bubble wrap. How often do you see a PR guy hurt on a PR? Injuries happen everywhere.

How often do you see a PR guy hurt on a PR?

Never the same again

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    How often do you see a PR guy hurt on a PR?

Never the same again
    How long ago was that? I could name many WRs hurt playing WR. My point is you have to get the ball into the playmakers hands. If Holmes can prove to be explosive on PRs then how can you keep him off the field? If he proves to be average...then you might have a point. Give the man a shot and see what happens.

Legend

Points of reference:

Lynn Swann: 41 punts returns as a rookie, 7 the next year when he became a full time starter

Louis Lipps: 53 punts returns as a rookie, 36 the next year and 3 the third year.

Deduction: When a WR becomes your "go to" guy you don't risk him returning punts.

This will prove to be a really bad move if Holmes is out there on a regular basis just to increase the return average by about 3 yards.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

We need another Rod Woodson. God I miss that calibre of player in the return game. He was my secret weapon on Tecmo Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I like the idea and looking forward to see what he can do. It's football, put your best players out there and play football. Injuries are going to happen and you have to have contingency ready to go regardless.
    I agree. I don't think he's competing for the full time PR position. I think they want to use him like Ed Reed or Steve Smith, as a situational returner. He was pretty lights out as a PR for OSU if I remember correctly. He's already taken one to the house in an NFL game, I say we see what he can do.

Besides, I'm not 100% sure I buy into the whole "Special Teams is an injury risk" thing. I don't see how its anymore of a risk than playing in any other play.

-Russ
    agreed... of course, this is assuming he's significantly better than the other guys.

if it's a wash, i don't play him on ST. unless the other guy only returns and it allows me to cut him.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Points of reference:

Lynn Swann: 41 punts returns as a rookie, 7 the next year when he became a full time starter

Louis Lipps: 53 punts returns as a rookie, 36 the next year and 3 the third year.

Deduction: When a WR becomes your "go to" guy you don't risk him returning punts.

This will prove to be a really bad move if Holmes is out there on a regular basis just to increase the return average by about 3 yards.
    I don't think Chuck Noll's philosophy is law. If Holmes provides a significant increase in our abilities at PR...he must be our guy. I think Tomlin will agree.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Points of reference:

This.