Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holmes to take shot on returns

Holmes to take shot on returns

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... rss&feed=9

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes hasn't returned a punt in a regular-season game since his rookie campaign in 2006. It's why he's looking forward to having an opportunity to return punts in Saturday's preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings.

"I'm a little bit excited. I'm a little nervous at the same time because I haven't done it in over a year," Holmes said Tuesday. "But I think once the first punt comes back, I'll be alright."

Coach Mike Tomlin said Holmes is developing so well as a receiver that he felt comfortable allowing Holmes to return punts. Holmes averaged 10.2 yards per return and had a 65-yard touchdown two years ago.

"It's not about you catching the ball, because I treat every punt like it's a deep ball so I can catch it pretty much with one hand," Holmes said. "I try to put a lot of trust in the guys up front that they can block the guys like they're supposed to and they can leave the rest up to me."

Linebacker James Farrior said the Steelers will treat their third preseason game more like a regular-season contest.

"We're getting all the looks that we need in practice. Going into this third game is going to be more like gametime preparation," said Farrior, who expects to see more action against the Vikings. "We're starting to get into our in-season mode when we're starting to look at tape. We're game-planning a little bit. We've got all of our game preparation stuff like it's in-season, simulating a regular game week."

Coach Mike Tomlin said Justin Hartwig will start his second consecutive game at center. Sean Mahan, who started all 16 games last season, started the preseason opener against Philadelphia. Hartwig was signed as a free agent this offseason. He started last week's game against Buffalo.

Safety Ryan Mundy (ankle) and linebacker Mike Humpal (stinger) did not practice and probably won't play against Minnesota. Tight end Cody Boyd (shoulder) was limited in practice.
    Digits

75 -- Roster limit after the Steelers make first cuts next Tuesday

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: Holmes to take shot on returns

"I'm a little bit excited. I'm a little nervous at the same time because I haven't done it in over a year," Holmes said Tuesday. "But I think once the first punt comes back, I'll be alright."
    He may be, but I won't. This is a bad move, IMO. It is the opinion of many that he is our No 1 receiver right now, and those who don't think that still recognize him as our home run threat. No way do you compromise that. Especially since our offense is more than capable of recovering from bad starting field position.

Hall of Famer

what a stupid idea. he had issues before holding on to the ball on punt returns, now he is exited and a little nervous? great

Legend

I hate the idea of our best receiver getting nailed returning punts. This is going to prove to be a really bad idea.

I think Tomlin has pretty much gotten everything right since he has become the coach, but I think he is taking his pledge to "improve the Special teams" a little too much to heart to the point he is trying to make a statement Even if Santonio would guarantee a 2-3 yard better average than Moore, Reid or Drummond in the big scheme of things that would be nothing and definitley not worth losing him as receiver--look at what happened to Joshua Cribbs this past weekend.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler

Pretty much agree with all of you. Not worth the risk.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    what a stupid idea. he had issues before holding on to the ball on punt returns, now he is exited and a little nervous? great
    Right.

Its not like he was the cat's meow at returning punts to make it worrth the risk.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

This aspect of our return game scares me into eggrll-****z.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

Would that be ****z caused by eggrolls - or ****s that look like eggrolls???

And now I'm hungry

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

Would that be ****z caused by eggrolls - or ****s that look like eggrolls???

And now I'm hungry

Appearance....LMAO.

I like the idea and looking forward to see what he can do. It's football, put your best players out there and play football. Injuries are going to happen and you have to have contingency ready to go regardless.

Lets play some Steeler football!

There's always this.. and a little bit of this... and, of course,

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE