3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Quote from Peter King

Dennis Dixon looked like a backup qb in the last preseasn game, he looked awful in the first game. I would feel more comfortable keeping leftwich and letting Batch go even though Charlie has been nothing but a good team guy and a capable backup. Dennis Dixon would be more of a threat in a slash type role with ben IN the game. Asking him to be the #2 guy at this point would make me very, very worried every time Ben takes a hit. What Dennis Dixon could become is a long way from what he is now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What Dennis Dixon could become is a long way from what he is now.

i agree, i wouldnt want dixon as a #2 qb just yet. he has a long way to go and i hope more than anything he doesnt see any action this year, unless its a blow out. i dont like leftwich a whole lot but at least he has expierence

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This isn't baseball. EVERY game counts in the NFL. If (GOD FORBID) anything happened to Ben and he couldn't play in the first few weeks of the season (with Batch also out), we'd be in trouble if Dixon was our starter. I'm not crazy about Leftwhich either. But like some of you said, at least he has the experience. And with any luck, we won't need the #2 qb on the field at all this season

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Nice to know that Peter King is thinking about someone other than Brett Favre.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Regardless of what we think or Peter King thinks, I don't think the STeelers feel the same way.

They are going to want a vet and number 2 -- whether it is Byron and then Batch or just Byron.

We will have to see how Byron looks this week with another week of practice under his belt. I orignally thought they would IR or cut Batch, but now it is a tossup in my mind.

The "Could" conceivably cut Byron before the season begins IF they are comfortable that Batch will be back by week 3 - and then save on Byron's salary.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Any thoughts?

Yea...just one.

Peter King is smoking crack.

I really like Dixon. I was doing flips when we drafted the guy. With that said, he is soooo not ready. So, Dixon plays against scrubs and vanilla Ds and gets anointed the next coming of Warren Moon? Come on. The guy will need at least one season before he will be a viable #2. Please don't make the mistake of rushing the kid. Look what happened to Couch.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Asian - Does your enthusiasm for Dixon also mean you want Batch gone too?
    I saw AS's response as more of a lack of faith for Leftwitch than as a promotion for Dixon...

My stripe-loving-brother your insight is truly on point. Living near Jax, I've seen Leftwich in action often and he's horrible. If we have our tackle problems like last year and the pocket start collapsing on the periphery, then "slow-mow-wind-up Leftwich" will never get rid of the ball in time for any yardage to be gained. I don't even want to go into his inability to roll out of the pocket.... he might as well be in a wheelchair. Dixon gives us an option that Leftwich could never give us.... mobility. If you look at experience, the way I see it, Dixon has had more time with our playbook than Leftwich. Just my two yen.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    I saw AS's response as more of a lack of faith for Leftwitch than as a promotion for Dixon...

My stripe-loving-brother your insight is truly on point. Living near Jax, I've seen Leftwich in action often and he's horrible. If we have our tackle problems like last year and the pocket start collapsing on the periphery, then "slow-mow-wind-up Leftwich" will never get rid of the ball in time for any yardage to be gained. I don't even want to go into his inability to roll out of the pocket.... he might as well be in a wheelchair. Dixon gives us an option that Leftwich could never give us.... mobility. If you look at experience, the way I see it, Dixon has had more time with our playbook than Leftwich. Just my two yen.
    Understand, my angry asian friend, but like medguy stated earlier, Dixon is just not even close to being ready. I'd rather have a seasoned quarterback like Leftwich, flaws and all, then a raw young quarterback whom defenses will be salivating over. Actually, I really would prefer this not become an issue, and Ben stays healthy, if I had my drothers. I just got my tickets for the Panthers preseason game in the mail for my annual pilgrimage to the Burgh, and knowing what I know now, I would prefer to see Ben in street clothes on the sideline to avoid any of this debate actually mattering.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

Understand, my angry asian friend, but like medguy stated earlier, Dixon is just not even close to being ready. I'd rather have a seasoned quarterback like Leftwich, flaws and all, then a raw young quarterback whom defenses will be salivating over. Actually, I really would prefer this not become an issue, and Ben stays healthy, if I had my drothers. I just got my tickets for the Panthers preseason game in the mail for my annual pilgrimage to the Burgh, and knowing what I know now, I would prefer to see Ben in street clothes on the sideline to avoid any of this debate actually mattering.

Word, brother.... word.