Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tropical Storm Induced Team Observations

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tropical Storm Induced Team Observations

After two pre-season games & the close of camp at Latrobe, here are some of my observations so far...

1. O-Line
    Starters: Other than some inconsistent run-blocking, the line hasn't been that bad & Kemo has been better than most feared. Hartwig has to be the guy & once he settles in, the unit will gel.
    Back-Ups: I'm disappointed that Max didn't show more, but I think he will play plenty at LT & in the jumbo packages. My question is if Mahan doesn't start, is he or Essex the first guard off the bench?
    2. QBs
    Starters: Ben has looked great so far & seems to be more willing to throw it away.
    Back-Ups: Batch is a great guy & a heady QB, but we all know his time here was limited anyway. Byron has a rocket arm & starting experience, but his game decisions & touch have always been questionable & he's a liability with this line. I like Dixon a lot - he's got a good arm but has some touch & his mobility adds a dimension for sub-packages.
    3. RBs
    Starters: As I said before, the line hasn't helped them, but Parker has looked good coming back from injury. Davis hasn't been noticed, which like linemen, means he must be doing okay.
    Back-Ups: Mendenhall has some good runs, but mostly has run like he's thinking too much & not reacting naturally. Moore hasn't shown too much, but I think that's more an issue of the play-calling so far - besides I think the coaches know what they've got with him. Which bring us to Russell...I'd like to see this kid get some time with the first unit, because he runs with some power.
    4. WRs
    Starters: Santonio - the light has come on & will be the go-to guy & produce a Pro-Bowl season. Hines has to fight off injuries, age & hopefully Sweed - but his career has been defined by fighting challenges. The real trick is for him is to realize his reduced role, teach the youngsters & make peace with the fact that his contract needs to redone after the season.
    Back-Ups: Nate's locked in & has looked good in a contract year. Sweed has played like rookie - not sure of his assignments & too worried about just making the catch - but he has the luxury of coming along slowly & playing against 4th & 5th CBs when does get in. Here's where it gets murky... with Reid, Baker, Rucker (the rest are non-factors) does the team keep 5 or 6 WRs? Assuming that the team goes with Drummond as a returner (underwhelming so far), then that means only one more WR makes it. If they choose someone else (Santonio, Reid, etc.) then two sports are possibly open. My thought is that if they go 5, then the final spot goes to Reid because he can return in a pinch & he offers more versatility. If they go 6, then I think they go Reid & Rucker as he has the height Baker offers but with more potential - plus he plays special teams.
    5. TEs
    Starters: Heath is a Pro-Bowl level player, but who'll never reach it because the NFL prizes TEs who don't block (Gates, Gonzales, Winslow).
    Back-Ups: Spaeth is a "sit-down" TE with good hands & he should be better blocking-wise after his shoulder surgery. Boyd at his size should be a glorified 3rd tackle, but Vickers might surprise him because his experience in Baltimore.

6. D-Line
    Starters: Other than the offensive line, the hopes of the team rest here. Casey needs to be a force for the line, & the defense, to be successful - & last year he wasn't. If he's seen the light, we don't know, considering the nonchalant way he came into camp - but like him, it's not looking good. Smith will be solid & Keisel will both tease & frustrate, but the key is Hampton.
    Back-Ups: Back-ups?...what back-ups? All joking aside, our situation isn't good & team seems to finally realize it. Colbert's inability to draft any talent is haunting the team as they try to patch it with FA/waiver-wire pick-ups to find some relief. Hoke is good & Kirschke is decent but nothing to get excited about, but Eason is a 3rd-string DT at best. McBean is a tease who looks the part, but doesn't play it - the worst part is that he may not even make the squad (representing another DL failure). It's telling that when you sign a veteran like Orpheus Roye & fans get excited that there's a problem. But all in all, it is a good signing & he should push Eason out of the rotation quickly.
    7. LBs
    Starters: This unit could be among the best - if Tomlin has the courage to go with Timmons over Foote. Foote is a solid plugger, but despite his experience, still gets run over too much & misses tackles - Timmons is a weapon that needs to be on the field. Timmons has ability that Foote only dreams about & adds a threat that offenses would have to account for. Woodley will open eyes & have a Pro-Bowl season, while Harrison solidifies his Pro-Bowl nod. I think Farrior continues to play well & earns the rare Steeler extension.
    Back-Ups: I've already said what I feel about Timmons - but the others? Fox looks like a good pick-up & Humpal & Harrison seem like scrappers, while Davis needs some time. I think the odd man out is Frazier.
    8. DBs
    Starters: By all accounts Ike is having a great camp, but in the Buffalo game he allowed too many uncontested catches - like he was too concerned with being beaten deep. I believe that our guys play off too much & goes away from Ike's strength, but it probably protects Deshea. I'm comfortable with both, but worry that the scheme works against us. As for the safeties, it's good that Clark's back to direct things, but we don't know what we've got as they're being careful with Troy. Troy will surely come around to play & play well, but the question is always - how much are you going to get from him?
    Back-Ups: Which leads to one of the bigger questions - what about Anthony Smith? Smith can be a dynamic player, but he wants to make the big play too badly which leads to risks & being out of position. The problem is he needs to be on the field to learn (& attack the LOS), because he's simply too good of a player to give up on - hopefully he turns it around this season. The same could apply to McFadden, who just can't seem to get past Deshea despite youth & talent - but for now he's a solid backup who is looking over his shoulder at a hard-charging William Gay (who could be Deshea Jr.). Of the others, I'd keep Mundy over Carter as he offers more long-term & Smith can backup both spots (& I still haven't forgotten Carter's AFCC performance either). I like what I've seen from Lewis as the last DB as neither Madison or Mason are anything special.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Tropical Storm Induced Team Observations

Good write up. I agree with you about the WRs. I think you have to keep 6 because if Hines or Santonio get hurt it would be bad news if Washington is your #2 or god forbid #1. This is particularly true if Drummond is on the roster since he offers almost nothing as a WR. I'd keep Reid and put Baker/Rucker on the PS.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hey O - How bad is it up your way? I'm down in Delray & it's finally clearing up some.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Good write up. I agree with you about the WRs. I think you have to keep 6 because if Hines or Santonio get hurt it would be bad news if Washington is your #2 or god forbid #1. This is particularly true if Drummond is on the roster since he offers almost nothing as a WR. I'd keep Reid and put Baker/Rucker on the PS.
    I think there's an outside chance that we keep six, but it will only be because Drummond opens some eyes in the next two weeks in the return game. If we go five, I easily give the nod to Baker over Reid. Half the team could return kicks and punts better than what he has demonstrated, so it's no reason to keep him. By the way O, going five or six deep at WR won't preclude Nate nate from being the number two guy if Santonio or Ward goes down...it just means everybody moves up a spot...just sayin' :P

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Hey O - How bad is it up your way? I'm down in Delray & it's finally clearing up some.
    Heavy rain and wind. Worse is suppose to come about midnight. Melbourne is getting hammered. 7+" of rain already. I think it will mostly miss us and stay southeast of where I am.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This Tropical storm was another in a long line of hyped storms that completely miss my area. Everybody starts freaking out, boarding up windows, buying up supplies, and half the community shuts down...for nothing. Granted the build-up for Fay wasn't as bad as other storms in the past, but we got absolutely no rain and little more than a breeze here on the west coast (Bradenton).

I don't want to minimize any damage or loss of life suffered by other areas and I'm glad we've never been slammed by a big one, but it happens every year and it's always ridiculous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    This Tropical storm was another in a long line of hyped storms that completely miss my area. Everybody starts freaking out, boarding up windows, buying up supplies, and half the community shuts down...for nothing. Granted the build-up for Fay wasn't as bad as other storms in the past, but we got absolutely no rain and little more than a breeze here on the west coast (Bradenton).

I don't want to minimize any damage or loss of life suffered by other areas and I'm glad we've never been slammed by a big one, but it happens every year and it's always ridiculous.
    Hope it stays that way for you

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

It is an irresponsible effort on the part of local TV stations to get viewers to watch their 24/7 coverage. While damage does occur it is rarely to the magnitude to what is predicted. They create a level of fear far beyond what is actually needed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

It is an irresponsible effort on the part of local TV stations to get viewers to watch their 24/7 coverage. While damage does occur it is rarely to the magnitude to what is predicted. They create a level of fear far beyond what is actually needed.

I completely agree, but being on the east coast, the year we had all the hurricanes slam us, there were so many days where we were out of power and supplies and every other week we were boarding up our windows. Charlie was pretty nasty for us that year. But you're right, Jim Cantori seems to get all jazzed whenever there are winds 50 mph with a storm. As for Tony Mainolfi and crew this is their time to shine. Did any of you guys see the footage of that idiot with the kite-surfing gear that got carried up by the wind and slammed to the ground. Talk about moron.

BTW, O, since FlaSteel doesn't want to get up from his usual bar-stool on Sundays, maybe you and I need to take a road trip this season to Brandon and visit his Black and Gold but for some suds and excessive cheering noise.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Really nice write up.... I think you hit some things spot on. I'm not sure about WR though, it seems that my fellow Eastern Illinois Alum, Rucker may have to catch on somewhere else.

I would think our practice squad this year is going to be dominated by OL and DL prospects.

go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.