Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tropical Storm Induced Team Observations

Legend

Re: Tropical Storm Induced Team Observations

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    This Tropical storm was another in a long line of hyped storms that completely miss my area. Everybody starts freaking out, boarding up windows, buying up supplies, and half the community shuts down...for nothing. Granted the build-up for Fay wasn't as bad as other storms in the past, but we got absolutely no rain and little more than a breeze here on the west coast (Bradenton).

I don't want to minimize any damage or loss of life suffered by other areas and I'm glad we've never been slammed by a big one, but it happens every year and it's always ridiculous.
    It is an irresponsible effort on the part of local TV stations to get viewers to watch their 24/7 coverage. While damage does occur it is rarely to the magnitude to what is predicted. They create a level of fear far beyond what is actually needed.

I completely agree, but being on the east coast, the year we had all the hurricanes slam us, there were so many days where we were out of power and supplies and every other week we were boarding up our windows. Charlie was pretty nasty for us that year. But you're right, Jim Cantori seems to get all jazzed whenever there are winds 50 mph with a storm. As for Tony Mainolfi and crew this is their time to shine. Did any of you guys see the footage of that idiot with the kite-surfing gear that got carried up by the wind and slammed to the ground. Talk about moron.

BTW, O, since FlaSteel doesn't want to get up from his usual bar-stool on Sundays, maybe you and I need to take a road trip this season to Brandon and visit his Black and Gold but for some suds and excessive cheering noise.
    I saw the idiot kite-surfing. Nothing like being body slammed by mother nature...over and over again. That is the type of idiot who should get a bill from the EMS folks who had to police his worthless butt up.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

I saw the idiot kite-surfing. Nothing like being body slammed by mother nature...over and over again. That is the type of idiot who should get a bill from the EMS folks who had to police his worthless butt up.

The Mrs. and I were laughing our butts off. Especially when the camera footage showed pedestrians coming to his side, crouching over his pavement-battered body.... I was telling her if I was next to him, I'd say: "Did that hurt? Good. Maybe you'll think twice about showing our young people what to do in the middle of a tropical storm." What a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    BTW, O, since FlaSteel doesn't want to get up from his usual bar-stool on Sundays, maybe you and I need to take a road trip this season to Brandon and visit his Black and Gold but for some suds and excessive cheering noise.
    You don't gotta put it like that brother. It's not that I don't want to get up from my bar stool (necessarily), but I've been watching the games with the same dude for almost twenty years now, and it's just tough to break from that kind of tradition. I know for a fact he wouldn't be interested in a roadie.

We're also in a transition stage this year as the bar we've been going to for the past several years has closed. We were going to go back to our original place (Fanatics), which is a huge Black-n-Gold joint, but they allow smoking, which messes with his pipes. We think we've got a bead on a new place, but the Steeler representation may have to be built from the ground up. That said, it would be friggin' awesome to throw back some suds with you guys during a game. Be forewarned...I get a little rowdy.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

I like what you have to say about Russell. I really hope we can get him some first team PT this preseason.

Hall of Famer

Great analysis SL... I enjoy that stuff because that, and the Digest, are just about my only sources at this time of year... Have only been able to see ONE pre-season game. And the one scheduled nationally for Sat evening on CBS is going to be blacked-out in my area so they can televise the Bungle game here... But anyway, I wouldn't be suprised a bit if they keep 6 WRs... The thing that interests me the most is what will they do with Dixon. If they relegate him to the PS, someone will snag him quickly... So do they keep 4 as well?.... Starting to run low on roster spots with all the possibilities.

...Don't envy you guys down in the sunshine state this time of year. I rode out two hurricanes while I lived over in Gulfport and Mobile in the mid-90s'... The power went out, and the ice melted, and my beer got warm...

Pro Bowler

Thanks for the kudos guys...several of your points to respond to...

1. Hurricane/Tropical Storm - Yeah the local stations go overboard, but I'd rather have too much info than not enough. I live in Palm Beach County, but run a business in Miami & info is key as I have not only my family to worry about, but my employees & their families, & my customers too.

2. Miami Wind-Surfing Guy - Hello YouTube!! We had an install down there today & while waiting for everything to get set-up, we entertained ourselves by walking the distance that guy flew. Before then I thought it was funny, after that I felt bad for him...it's a LONGGGGG way

3. WRs - Here's why I feel the team should keep Reid & Rucker over Baker...Reid gets open, is a tough little SOB & can return if needed; Rucker tries hard for everything thrown his way, plays Special Teams & has more potential; & Baker (who did make 2 nice catches, before that nothing) only seems proficient on the TE routes & cannot run-block. Another thing to consider, if another WR prospect came available - like David Ball (Jets) or Brandon London (Giants) - of those three, the guy I'd cut would be Baker. Not saying thats gospel, just my opinion.

4. RBs - During the pre-season, Gary needs to be in FIRST TEAM goal-line situations to see what he can do. But we also need to know if he can do anything if Mendenhall got hurt.

5. QBs - Give Leftwich as much PT as he can handle to see if he can run the team successfully. If so, cut Batch & move on - if not, cut him & let Dixon back-up until Batch heals. Do not - I repeat - do not waste a roster spot carrying 4 QBs ...the defensive line needs too much help to waste one on a QB who won't play anyway.

6. DL - Would it be too much to ask for a good player to cut & sign with us?

7. LB - START TIMMONS NOW! Look - they're both going miss tackles, blow assignments, etc...so why not go with the player that adds something dynamic to the defense? - We sure need it.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...