Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bumgals do it gain--Bringing back Chris Henry

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Bumgals do it gain--Bringing back Chris Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel

I believe that C Wilson had a similar incident with the same girl and the team didn't cut him, but when it happened again that is when the axe was swung.

J Harrison had one incident and immediately seeked help for the situation with counseling, he was being very proactive.

That is the difference!
    As I read and heard from your fellow fans when the original incident occurred, the girl had cops come for her, but C Wilson wasn't there and had nothing to do with the incident. Now you guys are saying he had a similar incident? Ced was never even charged with anything in the supposed first incident.

Also Holmes and Harrison both have one strike. Do you honestly think that if either gets into a "similar" situation that either will be cut?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy

One sucked the other didn't.
    First of all I never said that it wasn't a similar incident, and I cannot comment for my fellow Steelers fans and what they said, but if the first incident wasn't similar to the next then I don't know what it was. There was definately a corrolation between the first incident and the last one, it set a precedent for things to come. The team saw it that way I'm sure. If someone wants to claim that the guy had nothing to do with the first time the cops were called out then they are blind. Did the guy vacate the premises before the cops arrived sure but he still was there that night and there was a fight. Whether he was charged with anything or not has no bearing on how it was precieved by the public. Black eye for the team!

The Harrison situation was addressed in house by the team and James took the initiative to help solve the problem. That kind of behavior was not what was expressed by Cedric at the time of his incident (either one). According to him, he had nothing to do with it. Was Harrisons incident a black eye for the organization as well, YES, but he took the steps necessary to resolve the situation.

As far as someone being cleared of charges, why would you bring up Santonio. He was charged in two different incidents but was not convicted of either. He has shown no other problems off the field since before his rookie year. I don't believe that is an issue, maybe he was just a kid in the wrong place at the wrong time. We have all been mixed up with people that probably weren't best for our lives. Ever think of that? Unlike your boy Chris Henry, our young reciever knows how to keep out of trouble.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Isn't he suspended for the first 4 games anyway? Why not wait for teams to start cutting players. I'm sure there are going to be some big time, experienced players cut in the next week or so. To resort back to Henry after you released him is too damn funny. The Bengals are a mess, Chad Johnson is a mess.
    Big chance the Bungles are taking by acquiring Henry's services. Goodell has already stated that he'll remove picks from organizations who retain these players coming off suspsensions if they cross the line again. This move is most unwise. But hey they're loss is our gain.
    I did not know that Goodell said he would take picks from teams that retain repeat offenders. Good for him. Was there also an asterisk in there that says the Patriots are exempt from the rule?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jom - I think every team has their share of players with issues...it's how the team deals with them that matters. Yes, we've had our share, but as someone else said - the Steelers tend to deal with it quickly & quietly. Whereas the Bengals have courted this type of player (Henry, Thurman, Rucker, Nicholson, McNeal, Askew, O'Neal & Brooks) & excused their transgressions to try to become a better team. But what other team's fans react to is the hypocrisy...

"The Bengals released Henry after he was accused of punching a college student and breaking his car window with a beer bottle in March. Bengals president Mike Brown also cut ties with Henry, saying he could no longer be with the team.

"His conduct can no longer be tolerated," Brown said at the time. "The Bengals tried for an extended period of time to support Chris and his potentially bright career. We had hoped to guide him toward an appropriate standard of personal responsibility that this community would support and that would allow him to play in the NFL. ... But those efforts end today, as we move on with what is best for our team."

The Bengals said nothing about their decision to re-sign Henry, but they didn't have to - their actions spoke volumes.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Isn't he suspended for the first 4 games anyway? Why not wait for teams to start cutting players. I'm sure there are going to be some big time, experienced players cut in the next week or so. To resort back to Henry after you released him is too damn funny. The Bengals are a mess, Chad Johnson is a mess.
    Big chance the Bungles are taking by acquiring Henry's services. Goodell has already stated that he'll remove picks from organizations who retain these players coming off suspsensions if they cross the line again. This move is most unwise. But hey they're loss is our gain.
    I don't think the Bungles are taking a chance at all, I think Chris Henry has learned his lesson and will be a fine upstanding ........ ok never mind I can't even type this with a straight face

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Ever notice how much his face looks like a goblin?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Ever notice how much his face looks like a goblin?
    Goblin? Dude is straight alien. No question.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel

First of all I never said that it wasn't a similar incident, and I cannot comment for my fellow Steelers fans and what they said, but if the first incident wasn't similar to the next then I don't know what it was. There was definately a corrolation between the first incident and the last one, it set a precedent for things to come. The team saw it that way I'm sure. If someone wants to claim that the guy had nothing to do with the first time the cops were called out then they are blind. Did the guy vacate the premises before the cops arrived sure but he still was there that night and there was a fight. Whether he was charged with anything or not has no bearing on how it was precieved by the public. Black eye for the team!

The Harrison situation was addressed in house by the team and James took the initiative to help solve the problem. That kind of behavior was not what was expressed by Cedric at the time of his incident (either one). According to him, he had nothing to do with it. Was Harrisons incident a black eye for the organization as well, YES, but he took the steps necessary to resolve the situation.

As far as someone being cleared of charges, why would you bring up Santonio. He was charged in two different incidents but was not convicted of either. He has shown no other problems off the field since before his rookie year. I don't believe that is an issue, maybe he was just a kid in the wrong place at the wrong time. We have all been mixed up with people that probably weren't best for our lives. Ever think of that? Unlike your boy Chris Henry, our young reciever knows how to keep out of trouble.
    AK, I'll give you credit for saying Ced Wilson's incidences were related but the majority if not all of the Steeler fans that visited our boards around that time would not admit that. And Steel Torch/Steel Curtain 43, you have access to those boards, show me where you or anyone else said that Ced Wilson was guilty of DV at in the first situation.

Either way AK, you have to admit that if Harrison gets into a similar incident, he's not getting cut unless it's something really serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Jom - I think every team has their share of players with issues...it's how the team deals with them that matters. Yes, we've had our share, but as someone else said - the Steelers tend to deal with it quickly & quietly. Whereas the Bengals have courted this type of player (Henry, Thurman, Rucker, Nicholson, McNeal, Askew, O'Neal & Brooks) & excused their transgressions to try to become a better team. But what other team's fans react to is the hypocrisy...

"The Bengals released Henry after he was accused of punching a college student and breaking his car window with a beer bottle in March. Bengals president Mike Brown also cut ties with Henry, saying he could no longer be with the team.

"His conduct can no longer be tolerated," Brown said at the time. "The Bengals tried for an extended period of time to support Chris and his potentially bright career. We had hoped to guide him toward an appropriate standard of personal responsibility that this community would support and that would allow him to play in the NFL. ... But those efforts end today, as we move on with what is best for our team."

The Bengals said nothing about their decision to re-sign Henry, but they didn't have to - their actions spoke volumes.
    So here are the names you brought up Steel Life:

Henry, Thurman, Rucker, Nicholson, McNeal, Askew, O'Neal & Brooks

Henry I have no excuses for.

Odell, I will tell you that Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown (Surprisingly), did not stick up for him which is why he never got another chance to play after his rookie season. Which is a good thing.

Rucker. All of his problems were in college. Eventhough he hasn't done anything wrong since then, I still personally think he is a POS. I'm glad he hasn't done sh it since college. Hopefully we will finally cut him this season. If anyone thinks I'm just saying this now, look up my posts on the bengals boards since 2005 and you'll see I have been saying his pick was a mistake since then.

Nicholson. Not even worth mentioning.

McNeal. Although I ever liked this pick, he had no issues coming out of college. His only incident was with a bouncer outside of club. Seriously that is not a major issue. I'm glad he is gone, but I won't jump all over him.

Askew. Although he sucked from a talent perspective, he was right in a moral sense. He did NOTHING wrong and he won the case against the Cincy police department. People might get charges dismissed here and there but for a player to win a case against the police department, you know there is something more to the story there.

O'Neal. DUI. Not sure what to say there.

Brooks. He is an idiot...

I agree that we appear to court these types of players. Most of them are not even that talented on the field, which is even more distrubing. I think it is ok to take a risk ever so often with these types of players, but we took too many players with issues in too short of a timeframe...

Legend

User Info Menu

On Mike and Mike this morning they addressed the Bungals and got it right. Allow me to paraphrase some statements:

"Can't believe they brought Henry back after the big deal they made releasing him"

"The Bengals will be a sub .500 team team and not make the play offs"

"They need to look at firing to include above the coach, e.g. Mike Brown"

The most accurate statement

"With the issues with Henry, Chad Johnson and their terrible defense, the Bengals are a sinking ship"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    On Mike and Mike this morning they addressed the Bungals and got it right. Allow me to paraphrase some statements:

"Can't believe they brought Henry back after the big deal they made releasing him"

"The Bengals will be a sub .500 team team and not make the play offs"

"They need to look at firing to include above the coach, e.g. Mike Brown"

The most accurate statement

"With the issues with Henry, Chad Johnson and their terrible defense, the Bengals are a sinking ship"

O, if the Bungholes finish last in the division.... nothing will save Marv's job. But isn't Brown one of the owner's good friends?