Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting thought on the DL--is there a plan we don't see?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Re: Interesting thought on the DL--is there a plan we don't see?

It all depends on Dick LeBeau.

As long as he's in Pittsburgh, the Steelers will run a 3-4 base defense.

If he retires at the end of this year, his 50th in professional football, it is possible, at least to me, that the 3-4 in Pittsburgh will be retired with him...

Unless the Steelers can secure someone like Dom Capers (who is currently a special assistant with the Patriots!!), I think they would be foolish to field a watered down version of Dick LeBeau's defense...Jim Haslett and Tim Lewis were able to manage some limited success when replacing LeBeau, but keep in mind that four out of Bill Cowher's five non-playoff seasons took place while Dick LeBeau was not on the coaching staff...Dick LeBeau was on the sidelines for both Super Bowl appearances...

If LeBeau retires, I would certainly understand if Tomlin wanted the team to a defense that gives him a greater comfort level...I would think that, in any case, the Steelers would maintain at least part of that 3-4 base defense for certain situations...

I just don't think you can duplicate Dick LeBeau...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    It all depends on bad word LeBeau.

As long as he's in Pittsburgh, the Steelers will run a 3-4 base defense.

If he retires at the end of this year, his 50th in professional football, it is possible, at least to me, that the 3-4 in Pittsburgh will be retired with him...

Unless the Steelers can secure someone like Dom Capers (who is currently a special assistant with the Patriots!!), I think they would be foolish to field a watered down version of bad word LeBeau's defense...Jim Haslett and Tim Lewis were able to manage some limited success when replacing LeBeau, but keep in mind that four out of Bill Cowher's five non-playoff seasons took place while bad word LeBeau was not on the coaching staff...bad word LeBeau was on the sidelines for both Super Bowl appearances...

If LeBeau retires, I would certainly understand if Tomlin wanted the team to a defense that gives him a greater comfort level...I would think that, in any case, the Steelers would maintain at least part of that 3-4 base defense for certain situations...

I just don't think you can duplicate bad word LeBeau...
    Wow...I didn't realize the Steelers made the playoffs every single year that LeBeau was on the coaching staff, except for 2006 (and that was the season in which Cowher already had one foot out the door, and Ben spent most of the season recovering from the motorcycle accident/appendectomy/concussion). Impressive record!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Wow...I didn't realize the Steelers made the playoffs every single year that LeBeau was on the coaching staff, except for 2006 (and that was the season in which Cowher already had one foot out the door, and Ben spent most of the season recovering from the motorcycle accident/appendectomy/concussion). Impressive record!
    I think Tomlin saw this as well and wisely kept LeBeau on the staff...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No, I think a stipulation of the job offer to Tomlin was that he had to keep LeBeau.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    No, I think a stipulation of the job offer to Tomlin was that he had to keep LeBeau.
    I don't think Dan Rooney is like Jerry Jones (who hired Garrett as his O.C. before he hired Phillips as his H.C., and told Wade that he had to keep Garrett on his staff).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    I think that Keisel's numbers will be up this year, just for the simple fact that OLB will be applying more pressure than last year. Woodley and Harrison are going to have monstrous years, but unlike FlaSteel, I'm skeptical about our middle. I hope Haggans/Timmons can be rock solid as our interior wall this year otherwise we may have a very long season. But all in all, I have to agree that our perimeter passrush will have more bite this year.
    Still skeptical my brother? :P

I know there's a long way to go, but you've gotta admit that Timmons has looked great so far.

Now that we've had a couple of preseason ganders at Timmons.... I stand corrected. His speed is insane and hope that translates into solid middle play with our pursuit severely lacking last year in the middle of the field. His play will be pivotal against the AFC's elite TEs coming across the middle. I'm hoping we slowly build momentum this year, flying under the radar and start peaking late. This team has upside and it will take this year's gauntlet schedule to really pull it all together. I have high hopes for this year, but in honesty we're an OL and one more elite DL person away from a title.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think Dan Rooney is like Jerry Jones (who hired Garrett as his O.C. before he hired Phillips as his H.C., and told Wade that he had to keep Garrett on his staff).
    Agreed.... Dan has commented that the coach is the boss... He let Noll and Cowher make the calls, and is doing the same with Tomlin... Of course there will always be issues between the coach and GM...

...In evidence of him allowing the coach to make the decisions.... Remember a cat by the name of Johnny Unitas that signed with the Steelers back in '55?.... Dan allowed coach Walt Kiesling to cut him without Unitas ever throwing a ball during practice/pre-season even though he thought it was a mistake...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Now that we've had a couple of preseason ganders at Timmons.... I stand corrected. His speed is insane and hope that translates into solid middle play with our pursuit severely lacking last year in the middle of the field.
    I am keeping a positive, hopeful attitude about him. He has DEFINITELY looked stellar so far. But three pre-season games does not a great season make.... I'm not ready to crown him as anything untill I see more REGULAR season performance....