Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lightning Bolt

Legend

User Info Menu

The Lightning Bolt

Did anyone watch Usain Bolt run the 100M sprint? He shut it down with 20 meters to go and still ran a 9.69 to set a new world record. The announcers are saying Bolt may have thrown away a 9.59 his top end speed was somewhere around 30 mph.

It was fun to watch.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: The Lightning Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Did anyone watch Usain Bolt run the 100M sprint? He shut it down with 20 meters to go and still ran a 9.69 to set a new world record. The announcers are saying Bolt may have thrown away a 9.59 his top end speed was somewhere around 30 mph.

It was fun to watch.

Pappy
    Dude might have pi$$ed away a sub-9.5 with that effort.

If I am lucky enough to live another 30 years, someone will beat 9 seconds in the 100 meters. I would live to see that happen, and it will make Bolt's showboat in these Olympics look like a slow boat to China.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy

It was fun to watch.

Pappy

If I am lucky enough to live another 30 years, someone will beat 9 seconds in the 100 meters. I would live to see that happen, and it will make Bolt's showboat in these Olympics look like a slow boat to China.
    The 100 meters has to be getting to the point soon of having to measure the times in thousandths of a second. Bolt may get it below 9.5, but, to shave 1/2 second off of the record in the next 30 years would be incredible.

Physics, human physiology and time have to be at their limits in this race. The sprinter that get out of the blocks and maintain top end for the longest time will be the sprinter that knocks some hundredths off of the time; but, to take a 1/2 second or more might be close to physically impossible.

PAppy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy

It was fun to watch.

Pappy

The 100 meters has to be getting to the point soon of having to measure the times in thousandths of a second. Bolt may get it below 9.5, but, to shave 1/2 second off of the record in the next 30 years would be incredible.

Physics, human physiology and time have to be at their limits in this race. The sprinter that get out of the blocks and maintain top end for the longest time will be the sprinter that knocks some hundredths off of the time; but, to take a 1/2 second or more might be close to physically impossible.

PAppy
    You're probably right, Pappy! How would it be physiologically possible to run a sub 9? I'm not at all sure

But I'm pretty sure Bolt would have shaved 1/5th of a second off the "old" WR. That's unreal. It's also why there's a chance at a sub 9 second 100M in the next thirty years. It's not really likely. But if Bolt runs all the way through the finish line, it would get people thinking.

Chances are, however, that if Bolt runs through with a 9.48 instead of a 9.68 like he did, it would have just as likely created a record that could have stood for a while like the Beamon 30 foot LJ.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

LasVegasGuy

Can the dude catch a football? I don't mean an every down reciever because he would get killed. I mean taking the "bomb" to new levels. Can you imagine a DB trying to hang with this dude.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Can the dude catch a football? I don't mean an every down reciever because he would get killed. I mean taking the "bomb" to new levels. Can you imagine a DB trying to hang with this dude.
    I agree.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

James Jett anyone? Speed Kills..
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's been tried a few times and never really works. Renaldo Neahiah (sp?) or Willie Gault anyone?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He is probably on juice.

They don't have year round testing in Jamaica... mon.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I think it's been tried a few times and never really works. Renaldo Neahiah (sp?) or Willie Gault anyone?
    They tried to make those guys everydown recievers that's where the failed. They had speed but didn't have the moves to get open.