Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV

Legend

DirecTV

So I've got it now. I'm not thrilled about this whole "you can't split satellite signal" thing because it means if I'm watching TV and TiVo records something, I have to decide...do I watch the show being recorded or skip it? I don't like that one bit!

I'm liking all the HD channels and I'll be thrilled with watching every Steelers game at home (thank you Sunday Ticket)...so I guess I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Other than that, what can you tell me about it?

Hall of Famer

Re: DirecTV

stlrz, if you have HD with it (and a 5-LNB dish, which has become the norm for installation), you shouldn't have to "split" or choose between anything. You should actually be able to record TWO different shows at the same time while watching a third... If you cannot do this, I suggest you question the folks that installed your system...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    stlrz, if you have HD with it (and a 5-LNB dish, which has become the norm for installation), you shouldn't have to "split" or choose between anything. You should actually be able to record TWO different shows at the same time while watching a third... If you cannot do this, I suggest you question the folks that installed your system...
    I do have that.

With cable I run a line into the house. That line goes into a splitter...that sends one line to the cable box and one line to the TiVo.

I was told that satellite signal can not be split in that manner. The satellite box and TiVo box are two separate units.

Remember, I am "splitting the dish" with a co worker. This installation was a "side job" performed by a guy who used to work for DirecTv.

LasVegasGuy

TIVO is not associated with Direct TV and their is no way for Direct TV to talk to it because it doesn't have an activation card in it.

I think the only choice for you is to exchange your current reciever with a Direct TV HD/DVR. Then you can run (2) separate lines from the LNB's on the dish to the HD/DVR receiver and then scrap TIVO all together.

You will still be able to record shows digitally, watch one and record another. The only thing you would lose is the TIVO service which I think is no different from the DVR service provided by Direct TV. Same premise behind both just called different things.

Hall of Famer

stlrz, LVG is right about the equipment. Tivo separated from Directv a year or two ago. By switching to the Directv brand, it should all be in one unit, and possibly solving your problem... The thing I don't understand is why he only ran a single line into your house... When I upgraded to HD last year, they had to add another line (physically one line of dual-cable, but it incorporates two feeds into the back of the receiver). So I actually have multiple lines to all the receivers (they said it was required to utilize the dual-recording feature). ... Maybe your guy can do this for you.

We have a pair of dishes on the roof, one for local channels and one for premium channels. We have a DirecTV receiver with dvr, so we are able to record one program while watching another. That being said, we can not record two shows at the same time and watch a third. Only two lines coming in. Check out ebay, you might be able to get a free dvr directv receiver.

I've had directv for about 5 years now, and sunday ticket for all five as well. I will never go back to cable, ever. I love directv and have rarely if ever had trouble with it that wasn;t solved within five minutes over the phone. congrats on your purchase and welcome to the DTV family. Oh yea, screw comcast!!!!!

Legend

Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't buy the DVR box because I have TiVo and at least a year and a half of TiVo service paid in advance (I paid for 3 years right away to lower the "monthly" fee).

I have a workaround in place though since cable isn't canceled yet...I have the cable box and TiVo still in the loop. Yes, I have cable AND satellite right now! :P

I talked to the guy who did the install on the side for me (dish and install for $100) and he's gonna help me out again. I'll go on eBay or craigslist and buy a cable box (I used to have one and sold it...dangit!). Once the cable is shut off he said he'll come back out, go up on the pole and pull out the filters!

Once the TiVo service is done then I'll decide if I want to pay for more or just upgrade to the DirecTv DVR. I've had a cable DVR before and they're nice, but NOTHING like TiVo. TiVo is like DVR +++. Unless DVRs are at the point now where you can put in wishlists (actors you like, sports teams you like, etc) or they offer you up suggested viewings based on what you watch...well, it's going to be tough to give up TiVo. You have no idea how many movies this thing records for me without me even asking!

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthe ... p-wishlist

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't buy the DVR box because I have TiVo and at least a year and a half of TiVo service paid in advance (I paid for 3 years right away to lower the "monthly" fee).

I have a workaround in place though since cable isn't canceled yet...I have the cable box and TiVo still in the loop. Yes, I have cable AND satellite right now! :P

I talked to the guy who did the install on the side for me (dish and install for $100) and he's gonna help me out again. I'll go on eBay or craigslist and buy a cable box (I used to have one and sold it...dangit!). Once the cable is shut off he said he'll come back out, go up on the pole and pull out the filters!

Once the TiVo service is done then I'll decide if I want to pay for more or just upgrade to the DirecTv DVR. I've had a cable DVR before and they're nice, but NOTHING like TiVo. TiVo is like DVR +++. Unless DVRs are at the point now where you can put in wishlists (actors you like, sports teams you like, etc) or they offer you up suggested viewings based on what you watch...well, it's going to be tough to give up TiVo. You have no idea how many movies this thing records for me without me even asking!

The Direct TV DVR is that intuative yet. You can search for programs under actor, sports, etc but you have to set the controls to record it won't do it for you. Your buddy sounds like the Russian guys on Seinfeld who were going to "fix him up" so he can get all the Met games.

I've heard there is a way to cheat Direct TV by getting a blank card and a programming device to program the card. Then when Direct TV zaps you you can go on line and download the update to your programming device. You then pull the card out of the reciever reprogram it and slip it back into the reciever and your back in business. Any truth to that next time you see him? I would love to pay for the basic service and get all the channels for free including Sunday Ticket and Pay per view.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

The Direct TV DVR is that intuative yet. You can search for programs under actor, sports, etc but you have to set the controls to record it won't do it for you. Your buddy sounds like the Russian guys on Seinfeld who were going to "fix him up" so he can get all the Met games.

I've heard there is a way to cheat Direct TV by getting a blank card and a programming device to program the card. Then when Direct TV zaps you you can go on line and download the update to your programming device. You then pull the card out of the reciever reprogram it and slip it back into the reciever and your back in business. Any truth to that next time you see him? I would love to pay for the basic service and get all the channels for free including Sunday Ticket and Pay per view.
    TiVo WILL change your life!

Heh, I forgot about that one! The Russians!!!

I don't know if that works or not as I've never had anything but cable before. I will ask though and let you know what he says.

Oh, another added bonus...the guy I'm "splitting" the dish with? He's a big baseball fan and bought the MLB Extra Innings package. So when I feel like it (which isn't too often) I have my pick of MLB games to watch.

But I simply can't wait to see each and every Steelers game at home this season!!!!!

LasVegasGuy

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d":u17xp1un]Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't buy the DVR box because I have TiVo and at least a year and a half of TiVo service paid in advance (I paid for 3 years right away to lower the "monthly" fee).

I talked to the guy who did the install on the side for me (dish and install for $100) and he's gonna help me out again. I'll go on eBay or craigslist and buy a cable box (I used to have one and sold it...dangit!). Once the cable is shut off he said he'll come back out, go up on the pole and pull out the filters! :D

[url="http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthemostoutoftv/howto_create_wishlist_search.html?WT.z_links=howto-setup-wishlist
    http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthe ... p-wishlist[/url]

TiVo WILL change your life!

Heh, I forgot about that one! The Russians!!!

I don't know if that works or not as I've never had anything but cable before. I will ask though and let you know what he says.

Oh, another added bonus...the guy I'm "splitting" the dish with? He's a big baseball fan and bought the MLB Extra Innings package. So when I feel like it (which isn't too often) I have my pick of MLB games to watch.

But I simply can't wait to see each and every Steelers game at home this season!!!!! [/quote:u17xp1un]

It's awesome getting any game you want. No more worrying about what is on T.V. or leaving the house to watch what you want. You will love it.