Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Timmons - an assessment

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,950

    Timmons - an assessment

    I thought Timmons did some things very well last night. He made a nice, hard tackle in the open field on a kickoff return (I'm not sure I saw him stick anyone on special teams last year). He continues to show amazing closing speed and a better wilingness to be physical. He appears to understand the defense appreciably better. On a few plays, he moved down from inside linebacker to contain plays on the outside after OLBs rushed up the field. When unblocked, he filled holes adequately and wrapped up ball carriers.

    However, it is very disturbing to watch his initial reaction to plays. He is often painfully late reacting to plays (sometimes the last player on the field to move - and often his first step his wrong) allowing slowfooted offensive linemen to get out and seal him easily. When meeting a fullback or guard, he is usually manhandled (not simply pushed back, he is eliminated from the play). A good running team will exploit him and run directly at him.

    Finally, for a man who is certainly not an intellectual, I feel the Steelers continue to mismanage him. During his rookie campaign they changed his position late in the preseason, virtually assuring that he'd have no chance to make an immediate impact. This year, they decided that he'd compete with Foote. Then, they said that he may not win the job with Foote, but he'd be a third down specialist. But in the Bills game, Timmons was not out with the first team on any of the key 3rd down passing situations. He certainly should have been. He desperately needs the reps with the first team 3rd down specialists so that he can learn and be properly assessed. Recently, I read that he could be the top backup at all four linebacker positions. Am I missing something? First he's an outside linebacker, then an inside linebacker, then a third down specialist, then a swing backup. This is not how you develop a player that has trouble with the playbook (especially when a defense is as complex as the Steelers'). Attention coaching staff, choose a role for the kid and stick with it. Timmons needs a little stability and some reps with the big boys.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!
    Posts
    1,574

    Re: Timmons - an assessment

    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I thought Timmons did some things very well last night. He made a nice, hard tackle in the open field on a kickoff return (I'm not sure I saw him stick anyone on special teams last year). He continues to show amazing closing speed and a better wilingness to be physical. He appears to understand the defense appreciably better. On a few plays, he moved down from inside linebacker to contain plays on the outside after OLBs rushed up the field. When unblocked, he filled holes adequately and wrapped up ball carriers.

    However, it is very disturbing to watch his initial reaction to plays. He is often painfully late reacting to plays (sometimes the last player on the field to move - and often his first step his wrong) allowing slowfooted offensive linemen to get out and seal him easily. When meeting a fullback or guard, he is usually manhandled (not simply pushed back, he is eliminated from the play). A good running team will exploit him and run directly at him.

    Finally, for a man who is certainly not an intellectual, I feel the Steelers continue to mismanage him. During his rookie campaign they changed his position late in the preseason, virtually assuring that he'd have no chance to make an immediate impact. This year, they decided that he'd compete with Foote. Then, they said that he may not win the job with Foote, but he'd be a third down specialist. But in the Bills game, Timmons was not out with the first team on any of the key 3rd down passing situations. He certainly should have been. He desperately needs the reps with the first team 3rd down specialists so that he can learn and be properly assessed. Recently, I read that he could be the top backup at all four linebacker positions. Am I missing something? First he's an outside linebacker, then an inside linebacker, then a third down specialist, then a swing backup. This is not how you develop a player that has trouble with the playbook (especially when a defense is as complex as the Steelers'). Choose a role for the kid coach and stick with it, Timmons needs a little stability and some reps with the big boys.
    Great points. I kept wondering why the heck he wasn't out there earlier. I also wondered why he stayed in the game so long into the 4th Q. Timmons, at this point in his career, looks like an all or nothing kind of player. By that I mean he's going to make either a spectacular play or do absolutley nothing on a play.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

  3. #3
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,806

    Re: Timmons - an assessment

    He's still learning the ILB position. Wasn't he a DE or OLB in college? Now the Steelers are asking him to move inside where there's traffic avery play and someone looking to knock you on your a$$. I thought he looked good last night and will be looking forward to seeing him play on a regular basis this year.

    Hopefully, he can get more stout at the point of attack on inside running plays.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  4. #4
    BIG FAN
    Guest

    Re: Timmons - an assessment

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    He's still learning the ILB position. Wasn't he a DE or OLB in college? Now the Steelers are asking him to move inside where there's traffic avery play and someone looking to knock you on your a$$. I thought he looked good last night and will be looking forward to seeing him play on a regular basis this year.

    Hopefully, he can get more stout at the point of attack on inside running plays.

    Pappy
    True that Pappy. I myself was wondering where he was last night particularly when I saw Foote on a number of plays looking down at the pile after the Bills had a gainer on the ground.

  5. #5

    Re: Timmons - an assessment

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    He's still learning the ILB position. Wasn't he a DE or OLB in college? Now the Steelers are asking him to move inside where there's traffic avery play and someone looking to knock you on your a$$. I thought he looked good last night and will be looking forward to seeing him play on a regular basis this year.

    Hopefully, he can get more stout at the point of attack on inside running plays.

    Pappy
    He was a 4-3 OLB in college.

  6. #6
    BIG FAN
    Guest

    Re: Timmons - an assessment

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    He's still learning the ILB position. Wasn't he a DE or OLB in college? Now the Steelers are asking him to move inside where there's traffic avery play and someone looking to knock you on your a$$. I thought he looked good last night and will be looking forward to seeing him play on a regular basis this year.

    Hopefully, he can get more stout at the point of attack on inside running plays.

    Pappy
    He was a 4-3 OLB in college.
    You were there last night, how did it all look to you SFTO?

  7. #7

    Re: Timmons - an assessment

    A quote from SI regarding Timmons:
    “Lawrence Timmons does seem like a difference maker. His blitz on Matt Baker for a pressure was a thing of beauty--the Steelers haven't had an inside linebacker who could bring that kind of explosiveness and power on an inside rush since Kendrell Bell's rookie year. But after trying to keep an eye on him last night, what he reminds me most of is a young Chad Brown. Remember that before Brown slid outside, he was an outstanding pass rushing inside linebacker. And like Brown in his younger years, Timmons' biggest problem will be shedding blocks in the running game. A couple of times offensive linemen got their hands on Timmons and drove him out of the play, although overall it looked like an outstanding game for Timmons.”

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,950

    Re: Timmons - an assessment

    Quote Originally Posted by anger 82&95
    A quote from SI regarding Timmons:
    “Lawrence Timmons does seem like a difference maker. His blitz on Matt Baker for a pressure was a thing of beauty--the Steelers haven't had an inside linebacker who could bring that kind of explosiveness and power on an inside rush since Kendrell Bell's rookie year. But after trying to keep an eye on him last night, what he reminds me most of is a young Chad Brown. Remember that before Brown slid outside, he was an outstanding pass rushing inside linebacker. And like Brown in his younger years, Timmons' biggest problem will be shedding blocks in the running game. A couple of times offensive linemen got their hands on Timmons and drove him out of the play, although overall it looked like an outstanding game for Timmons.”
    Chad Brown is a decent comparison.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •