Thread: Views from the fifth deck endzone.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Views from the fifth deck endzone.....

Just a few comments on the game last night:

- I started a thread this week saying that there might not be a big crowd. There was a good sized crowd there, but scalpers were selling tickets at half of face.

- Tons, and I mean tons, of Steeler wear. I would have to say 5 Steelers jerseys for every one Bills jersey and lots of other teams as well. Even saw a guy in an Orange Dolphins Porter jersey...lol

- While the clothing was decidedly Steelers, the fan base was pretty mixed. Lots of cheering for both teams. Good atmosphere overall.

Now some very limited observations from the game. Unfortunately, when you go with a five year old who has spent the whole day at camp, stamina issues arise. We left around the two minute warning in the first half, but.......

- Too many penalties for the O. Even one declined holding penalty on the int.

- While the first team O stalled twice, I am not overly concerned. I don't know if you noticed this on TV, but they were using a lot of unusual formations that I have never seen them run. I would think that a lot of what they did was run for the first time. Some examples - Heath split out wide to the left, then motioning back to TE position, Ward and Holmes changed sides, Heath lined up as H back. So, I was not bothered by that however.........

- The first team D looked awful. Just awful. Very little pass rush and way too much cushion. I understand sacrificing one for the other, but not getting either was ugly.

- Casey got no push up the middle. He is far from being in game shape.

- The Steelers always have had problems with good cutback runners. Lynch looks like a very good cutback runner.

- Last week someone mentioned how we ran a formation with Farrior outside of Woodley. I saw one particular play where both Foote and Farrior were outside of the OLBs and you good see the middle was wide open. I was thinking to myself that if they give it to Lynch he will cutback through the middle and run forever. He went for about 9 on the play.

- One of the things I was most excited about this year is the return of a healthy Clark. Unfortunately, he did not look strong at all last night. He missed a couple of tackles, including one where he made a great play sniffing out a creen, hit the RB who bounced off of him like he was nothing.

Thats it for now. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Wait, one more thing. This game, even though it was a pre season game, was an event here. There was a big street party the night before, some players were there, some alumni as well - Thruman Thomas, Jerome Bettis etc. I don't know if the players got caught up in it, but it is possible. It is not an excuse, but it might help explain why they had no energy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Views from the fifth deck endzone.....

I hope our first team D can regroup. If they play poorly next week, then there will be cause for concern.

If they can allow Trent Edwards to play as well as he did, imagine what Romo, Manning, Palmer, Brady, ect.... will do against them this year.

BIG FAN

Thanx for the observation, I asked you about what you saw in another thread,should have scrolled down a bit.
    Dont worry about leaving at the half, that little guy sounds like he was through.
    A father with a five year old at a Steelers game. Priceless.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've watched many a hockey game with a sleeping 5 year old on my lap. Both my kids (now 7 and 3) sleep like the dead once they go out. It limits me from being able to jump up and cheer myself, but my kids always were able to sleep through the 8000 other people cheering (at an AHL hockey game, which I guess is different than the other 60,000 people cheering at an NFL football game).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    Thanx for the observation, I asked you about what you saw in another thread,should have scrolled down a bit.
    Dont worry about leaving at the half, that little guy sounds like he was through.
    Yes, he had a lot of fun, but it was also overwhelming for him. He was standing up at the beiginning of the game shouting "Go Steelers!!" as loud as he could. Pissed off the two older female Bills fans in front of us, but oh well.

Unfortuntely he gets very restless when tired. We did get to see the Homes TD right in front of us, and after that highlight I was okay with going.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=steeler_fan_in_t.o.]
    Quote Originally Posted by "BIG FAN":yv4u1w1b
    Yes, he had a lot of fun, but it was also overwhelming for him. He was standing up at the beiginning of the game shouting "Go Steelers!!" as loud as he could. Pissed off the two older female Bills fans in front of us, but oh well.

Unfortuntely he gets very restless when tired. We did get to see the Homes TD right in front of us, and after that highlight I was okay with going.[/quote:yv4u1w1b]

T.O. you're raising your boy up right! You're to be commended.

I imagine that Rogers Centre is a bit small for the NFL. It seemed large enough for the Jays when I saw the Tribe up their a couple years ago, but a bit tiny for football. If Toronto is entertaining thoughts of attracting the Bills long-term or relocating another team (there won't be another expansion), they'll need a stadium capable of handling a larger crowd.

T.O., I will be up that way this weekend. Arriving Friday night, staying during the day Saturday, then staying with friends in Buffalo Saturday night. Hope to catch the game Saturday night in Buffalo. But, it will be nice to be in Toronto again. Lovely city with a lot to do.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy

I imagine that Rogers Centre is a bit small for the NFL. It seemed large enough for the Jays when I saw the Tribe up their a couple years ago, but a bit tiny for football. If Toronto is entertaining thoughts of attracting the Bills long-term or relocating another team (there won't be another expansion), they'll need a stadium capable of handling a larger crowd.

T.O., I will be up that way this weekend. Arriving Friday night, staying during the day Saturday, then staying with friends in Buffalo Saturday night. Hope to catch the game Saturday night in Buffalo. But, it will be nice to be in Toronto again. Lovely city with a lot to do.
    Rogers Centre is too small by NFL standards. It seats just over 50K for baseball, and the football record (not sure if it was full capacity but would have been close) was around 54K. I can't see them finding another 11,000 seats just to make it to the min. I have heard rumors about Rogers looking at some land just north of the city, but nothing even remotely verifiable at this point.

Enjoy your time here buckeye. Toronto really is a great city. Also, have a good time in Buffalo. I've seen many games there over the years - including the Steelers twice - and it is a fun time. Good fans, even when you are wearing the colors of the enemy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy

Rogers Centre is too small by NFL standards. It seats just over 50K for baseball, and the football record (not sure if it was full capacity but would have been close) was around 54K. I can't see them finding another 11,000 seats just to make it to the min. I have heard rumors about Rogers looking at some land just north of the city, but nothing even remotely verifiable at this point.

Enjoy your time here buckeye. Toronto really is a great city. Also, have a good time in Buffalo. I've seen many games there over the years - including the Steelers twice - and it is a fun time. Good fans, even when you are wearing the colors of the enemy.
    I'm with ya on Buffalo fans. Good people who, even though their teams have given them nothing to celebrate over the years, are happy to cheer their teams. Even though I'm a Pens fan, I enjoy the Sabres, too, and the Bills have always been fun to watch, even in off years.

Looking forward to a good evening tonight and a good day Saturday.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!