Just a few comments on the game last night:
- I started a thread this week saying that there might not be a big crowd. There was a good sized crowd there, but scalpers were selling tickets at half of face.
- Tons, and I mean tons, of Steeler wear. I would have to say 5 Steelers jerseys for every one Bills jersey and lots of other teams as well. Even saw a guy in an Orange Dolphins Porter jersey...lol
- While the clothing was decidedly Steelers, the fan base was pretty mixed. Lots of cheering for both teams. Good atmosphere overall.
Now some very limited observations from the game. Unfortunately, when you go with a five year old who has spent the whole day at camp, stamina issues arise. We left around the two minute warning in the first half, but.......
- Too many penalties for the O. Even one declined holding penalty on the int.
- While the first team O stalled twice, I am not overly concerned. I don't know if you noticed this on TV, but they were using a lot of unusual formations that I have never seen them run. I would think that a lot of what they did was run for the first time. Some examples - Heath split out wide to the left, then motioning back to TE position, Ward and Holmes changed sides, Heath lined up as H back. So, I was not bothered by that however.........
- The first team D looked awful. Just awful. Very little pass rush and way too much cushion. I understand sacrificing one for the other, but not getting either was ugly.
- Casey got no push up the middle. He is far from being in game shape.
- The Steelers always have had problems with good cutback runners. Lynch looks like a very good cutback runner.
- Last week someone mentioned how we ran a formation with Farrior outside of Woodley. I saw one particular play where both Foote and Farrior were outside of the OLBs and you good see the middle was wide open. I was thinking to myself that if they give it to Lynch he will cutback through the middle and run forever. He went for about 9 on the play.
- One of the things I was most excited about this year is the return of a healthy Clark. Unfortunately, he did not look strong at all last night. He missed a couple of tackles, including one where he made a great play sniffing out a creen, hit the RB who bounced off of him like he was nothing.
Thats it for now. If I think of anything else I'll post it.
Wait, one more thing. This game, even though it was a pre season game, was an event here. There was a big street party the night before, some players were there, some alumni as well - Thruman Thomas, Jerome Bettis etc. I don't know if the players got caught up in it, but it is possible. It is not an excuse, but it might help explain why they had no energy.