Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BREAK CAMP! Head for home. What was learned in camp?

Hardliner

Re: BREAK CAMP! Head for home. What was learned in camp?

From all the comments I've been hearing here (thanks to Pappy and Steelblood for more specifics) AND the mainstream media, I think the Steel is good to go in 2008, but, with the annoying blip on the radar screen I keep hearing from all quarters about your oline?

For what it's worth, I thought that both Mendenhall and Sweed were high VALUE picks given their respective draft positions. You know, rooks are rooks regardless so we won't really know the intelligence and outcome of any draft for any team until about their 3rd year in the league if certain draftees last that long.

I want to give all fantasy guys a nugget, if they haven't already figured it out. D-Bowe (WR) could be a high value pick in your draft because under new OC Chan Gailey, the Chiefs look to have an excellent offensive strategy for the first time since the days of Vermiel. I say that, (hold your breath as I am my own), QB Brodie Croyle is buying in and looking great with his rocket arm and finding Bowe.

But, it's too early to tell for sure. I will quote a Bear's announcer commenting in the first pre-season game for the Chiefs against Chicago when Croyle threw a 35 yard rope to a narrow window to find his man on a 3rd and long: "That's why the Chiefs drafted this guy. He has a Favre-like arm that, if developed properly, could cause opposing DCs many sleepless nights."

D-Bowe is Brodie's favorite target and worthy of that distinction. Just a heads-up for you guys if you find his name on the board at the appropriate place in your strategy of drafting.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    I tell you what I expect, there is a reason why we want to go back to hard driving smashmouth Steelers football. We know we can thow it on anyone, a lot of folks think the O-lINE SUCKS SO BAD we wont be able to run or Ben is going to get mauled every time he tries to pass. Now with this premeir rook, I think Pittsburgh Steelers football comes back, we wont throw unless we want to, not have to. I think we can run at will. So in an answer, I like our chances.
    Good to see you here Hardliner,
    Won't happen, or at least I hope it doesn't happen.

"Steelers" football is obsolete. How many SB's has it gotten us since the 70's? One, and even that was with help from Big Ben. This is the 00's. If we want to be a legit SB team, we have to be able to run AND pass the ball often.

And paying $100 million for a QB seems pretty stupid if he's only going to throw 10 times a game.

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    I tell you what I expect, there is a reason why we want to go back to hard driving smashmouth Steelers football. We know we can thow it on anyone, a lot of folks think the O-lINE SUCKS SO BAD we wont be able to run or Ben is going to get mauled every time he tries to pass. Now with this premeir rook, I think Pittsburgh Steelers football comes back, we wont throw unless we want to, not have to. I think we can run at will. So in an answer, I like our chances.

"Steelers" football is obsolete. How many SB's has it gotten us since the 70's? One, and even that was with help from Big Ben. This is the 00's. If we want to be a legit SB team, we have to be able to run AND pass the ball often.

And paying $100 million for a QB seems pretty stupid if he's only going to throw 10 times a game.
    I agree with you somewhat Torch, but I think you misunderstood me, I said we throw it when we WANT to not have to. As far as Steelers football being obsolete, I bow to your perception with only one difference. With such a stable as we have, do you really think we will be a throw first team? I dont. I may be wrong, but with a dynamic ground game look how much we can open the field for our 102 mil. QB.

Pro Bowler

[quote=BIG FAN]
    Quote Originally Posted by "BIG FAN":1jsdwgue

I agree with you somewhat Torch, but I think you misunderstood me, I said we throw it when we WANT to not have to. As far as Steelers football being obsolete, I bow to your perception with only one difference. With such a stable as we have, do you really think we will be a throw first team? I dont. I may be wrong, but with a dynamic ground game look how much we can open the field for our 102 mil. QB.[/quote:1jsdwgue]
    What about our passing talent? One could just as easily say we have a great stable there, too, with Big Ben at the helm followed by Ward, Holmes, then Sweed and Washington.

That is where I disagree. If we want to succeed, we need to become a better pass-first team to put our opponents away. THEN we can use our dynamic ground game to control the clock in the second half.

Again, if you want to see how successful being a run-first team has been for us, just look at how many Superbowls we won since the 70's.

BIG FAN

[quote=SteelTorch]
    Quote Originally Posted by "BIG FAN":130dy35x

I agree with you somewhat Torch, but I think you misunderstood me, I said we throw it when we WANT to not have to. As far as Steelers football being obsolete, I bow to your perception with only one difference. With such a stable as we have, do you really think we will be a throw first team? I dont. I may be wrong, but with a dynamic ground game look how much we can open the field for our 102 mil. QB.
    What about our passing talent? One could just as easily say we have a great stable there, too, with Big Ben at the helm followed by Ward, Holmes, then Sweed and Washington.

That is where I disagree. If we want to succeed, we need to become a better pass-first team to put our opponents away. THEN we can use our dynamic ground game to control the clock in the second half.

Again, if you want to see how successful being a run-first team has been for us, just look at how many Superbowls we won since the 70's.[/quote:130dy35x]

I think first of all your points are valid. Very knowledgeable good insight to "todays" game.
    The only thing that gets to me about being pass first is why we did not aquire some proven pass protectors on the line the last two years? I think with getting what we got the mindset is run first to set up the pass. Steeler football, obsolete? I guess we will see. With a savvy QB that we have in Ben, our soon to established receiving corps that we have I have to agree with you we will become a pass first team, I just dont see it this year. It will take time, and some line.

Backup

Hardliner is and has always been a classy poster over the years. Glad you made over and I know I'm not alone with that opinion. Unfortunately, the Trib is growing more and more painful everyday so I'm glad to welcome the Ambassador of Chiefs nation!

Hardliner

Quote Originally Posted by kennyes
    Hardliner is and has always been a classy poster over the years. Glad you made over and I know I'm not alone with that opinion. Unfortunately, the Trib is growing more and more painful everyday so I'm glad to welcome the Ambassador of Chiefs nation!

Thanks for the nice words kennyes. Exchanging views with Steeler fans has kept me grounded as a NFL fan these past several seasons mainly because I can come over, speak my version of the truth, warts and all about the Chiefs, and not have the hordes of homers come down on me.
    The Steel and Chiefs should provide lots of lively conversation material in 2008 and I'm ready to get this candle lighted!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

[quote=BIG FAN][quote=SteelTorch]
    Quote Originally Posted by "BIG FAN":td1otcqm
    Quote Originally Posted by "BIG FAN":td1otcqm

Again, if you want to see how successful being a run-first team has been for us, just look at how many Superbowls we won since the 70's.[/quote:td1otcqm]

I think first of all your points are valid. Very knowledgeable good insight to "todays" game.
    The only thing that gets to me about being pass first is why we did not aquire some proven pass protectors on the line the last two years? I think with getting what we got the mindset is run first to set up the pass. Steeler football, obsolete? I guess we will see. With a savvy QB that we have in Ben, our soon to established receiving corps that we have I have to agree with you we will become a pass first team, I just dont see it this year. It will take time, and some line.[/quote:td1otcqm]

The way Big Fan described it is exactly the way Cowher's Steeler team played it in its road playoff run to Super Bowl XL, so I don't it will be a sudden change in philosophy to throw the ball early, letting Ben develop a reasonable lead, and then having our RB's pound the opposition in the 2nd half to close out the game.