Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAK CAMP! Head for home. What was learned in camp?

Hardliner

BREAK CAMP! Head for home. What was learned in camp?

It can't be long now, can it? Camps are breaking, teams are getting back to their home facilities and the opening of regular season, 2008 style, can't be far away. I'm kind of curious to know how your team looks at this important juncture.

As many of you on this board know, I'm the KC Chiefs reporter and occasional NFL comments guy, so, in that vein, here's a brief synopsis of what happened with the Chiefs in camp this year:

The 2008 Draft class is so far as good as advertised. There are a dozen guys in that group and right now, nine of them will be making contributions this season, some will make big contributions. Dorsey (DT), Albert(OT), Flowers(CB), Charles(RB), Cottam(TE), Morgan(SS), Franklin(WR), Johnston (DE) and Carr(CB) will be on the field. Instant starters among this group will be Albert, Dorsey, Flowers and Carr.

Not a bad haul for a draft class that HAD to be a home run. So far, it is. How're your rooks looking?

BIG FAN

Re: BREAK CAMP! Head for home. What was learned in camp?

I seem to like our's Hardliner.
    Mendanhall with a little polish, could not only fill in adequately as FWP's spell guy, to possibly next year remind the league of a certain guy that played for K.C. and lost his job to a guy named Larry after he broke his neck.
    What do you think.

Hardliner

Hey Big Fan! What up?

I saw a highlight clip on the NFL-N today, showing Mendenhall's running ability, being able to take initial hits but keep his feet and bounce outside for good gains. You have to like that kind of special ability.

As to the Priest Holmes reference, perhaps, but Priest was not the same kind of back so far as I can see at this early stage. Priest was excellent at all the things you ask a back to do but not truly outstanding at any one skill (my opinion), but still, he helped you win so if any back does that consistently, he's definitely a keeper.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Hardliner
    Hey Big Fan! What up?

I saw a highlight clip on the NFL-N today, showing Mendenhall's running ability, being able to take initial hits but keep his feet and bounce outside for good gains. You have to like that kind of special ability.

As to the Priest Holmes reference, perhaps, but Priest was not the same kind of back so far as I can see at this early stage. Priest was excellent at all the things you ask a back to do but not truly outstanding at any one skill (my opinion), but still, he helped you win so if any back does that consistently, he's definitely a keeper.
    what kind of season do you think LJ will have? it seems if the rookies are as good as expected that kc has really solidified their o-line which was an obvious weakness

BIG FAN

I tell you what I expect, there is a reason why we want to go back to hard driving smashmouth Steelers football. We know we can thow it on anyone, a lot of folks think the O-lINE SUCKS SO BAD we wont be able to run or Ben is going to get mauled every time he tries to pass. Now with this premeir rook, I think Pittsburgh Steelers football comes back, we wont throw unless we want to, not have to. I think we can run at will. So in an answer, I like our chances.
    Good to see you here Hardliner,

Hardliner

re: what kind of season do you think LJ will have? it seems if the rookies are as good as expected that kc has really solidified their o-line which was an obvious weakness

Larry is an enigma. Depending on his mood, which changes with the weather, you'll either get 'Good Larry', 'Disinterested Larry', or just plain 'Bad Larry', i.e., he's inconsistent and tends to pout if things don't go his way.

To be fair, we saw some 'Good Larry' in the Chief's first pre-season game against the Bears but, as noted, that can change in a hurry. If you're asking for a fantasy draft, I'd pass on the guy but that's just me.

Hall of Famer

re: what kind of season do you think LJ will have? it seems if the rookies are as good as expected that kc has really solidified their o-line which was an obvious weakness

Larry is an enigma. Depending on his mood, which changes with the weather, you'll either get 'Good Larry', 'Disinterested Larry', or just plain 'Bad Larry', i.e., he's inconsistent and tends to pout if things don't go his way.

To be fair, we saw some 'Good Larry' in the Chief's first pre-season game against the Bears but, as noted, that can change in a hurry. If you're asking for a fantasy draft, I'd pass on the guy but that's just me.
    haha i was asking because of fantasy. he burned me big time last season but i was wondering with all the additions to the o-line maybe this year would be different. thanks for your opinion, i agree on passing on LJ

It can't be long now, can it? Camps are breaking, teams are getting back to their home facilities and the opening of regular season, 2008 style, can't be far away. I'm kind of curious to know how your team looks at this important juncture.

As many of you on this board know, I'm the KC Chiefs reporter and occasional NFL comments guy, so, in that vein, here's a brief synopsis of what happened with the Chiefs in camp this year:

The 2008 Draft class is so far as good as advertised. There are a dozen guys in that group and right now, nine of them will be making contributions this season, some will make big contributions. Dorsey (DT), Albert(OT), Flowers(CB), Charles(RB), Cottam(TE), Morgan(SS), Franklin(WR), Johnston (DE) and Carr(CB) will be on the field. Instant starters among this group will be Albert, Dorsey, Flowers and Carr.

Not a bad haul for a draft class that HAD to be a home run. So far, it is. How're your rooks looking?
    Good to see you here at the Planet Hardliner.

Our draft class could turn into one of the better ones in awhile from top to bottom. Mendenhall and Sweed look to be the real deal and Sweed will be stepping in for Hines in a few years. He and Holmes should make a difficult twosome to cover consistently.

Mendenhall will be a very good back in this league for years to come. What they do with him and Parker will be interesting. This year though, he'll probably get 8-10 carries per game, unless Parker gets hurt again.

Bruce Davis and Mike Humpal have been turning heads and playing well on STs and when they get the chance in the pre-season games. Davis will be a starter in a few years. Humpal will probably provide depth and not a significant drop off as a backup or third down LB.

Tony Hills is raw and not having a good camp. Hopefully, coaching can take his large body and turn him into a quality NFL tackle.

Dennis Dixon looked good last night, poise, good arm, mobile and has a great attitude. He'll make the team as our third QB this year and will probably be #2 next year. We'll end up trading him for picks or a player simialr to what Atlanta did with Matt Schaub.

Ryan Mundy will hang around this year and hopefully, develop into an NFL starting safety. Mundy is injured a bit and we haven't seen much of him, but, he is a good athlete. Troy is injury prone and Anthony Smith (while I like his attitude and play), makes some boneheaded decisions. So, the development of Mundy would be welcomed.

The Steelers really needed some D-line and O-line help and didn't get it in FA or the draft. Ben will be chased quite a bit this year and we'll give some points, but, the Steelers should still win 10 games.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

our rookies -

mendenhall - seems tenative inside. likes to bounce outside and take on dbs. must become a better inside runner to earn playing time.

sweed - doesn't play all that big. is slow to get moving. dropped an easy ball last game, but has made some circus catches.

bruce davis (LB) - good edge rusher, but thin/weak. must bulk up to be an effective 3-4 OLB. could be good on special teams.

dixon - great athlete (ran for a 47 yard TD in the last game), cannon arm, not much poise in the pocket. needs a year or two to learn the offense.

hillls (OT) - looked better this week. but may struggle to make the team. not great against speed or strength.

humpal (LB) and mundy (S) - have struggled with injuries lately
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

LasVegasGuy

Tomlin is in for a long year.